What is APC UPS Shelf Life (unopened, battery unconnected)

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
TLDR: As the title says.

Longer story, I bought 4 APC 600VA UPS's to replace some other brand that have given up the ghost. When I started swapping them out, I realized I only needed 2. Amazon cheerfully and promptly refunded my money but said "Don't ship them back." They don't want them. So I'm wondering how long I can store them and still expect them to work reasonably well? (again, package unopened and therefore the battery is not connected, as that's how they are shipped.)

All my google searches have talked about how long installed units work and how long they can sit with power removed (but not the battery unconnected).

So, anybody with any real data?

John

I'm presuming they use SLA batteries. Those have a 5% self-discharge rate /month, and don't like going below 50% or so. They were most likely not shipped fully charged.
If they were mine, I'd probably charge them right now, do a functional check, disconnect the batteries and set a reminder to charge them again in six months.

You can always buy replacement batteries if you ever use them and they're dead. Or, sell them now and buy more when you need em.

Back