What is an FAA Ground Instructor?

MDeitch1976

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MattCanFly
I saw this mentioned in another thread.
How is this different from a typical flight instructor?
What are the requirements?

I looked into it since I am somewhat tutoring 2 people now.

To qualify, you need to take FOI and Ground Instructor Basic (or advanced, if you want to teach instrument) tests. Once you pass them, you get a card. No other tests (oral, practical)

Obviously, you cannot train anyone in the air, but you can provide ground instruction. And you can sign off students for written tests.

I looked into it since I am somewhat tutoring 2 people now.

To qualify, you need to take FOI and Ground Instructor Basic (or advanced, if you want to teach instrument) tests. Once you pass them, you get a card. No other tests (oral, practical)

Obviously, you cannot train anyone in the air, but you can provide ground instruction. And you can sign off students for written tests.

That sounds like something I would like to do after receiving my PPL. I think it is a great way to stay current on the knowledge. Any other requirements for this?

This article is a bit old, but it should give you some insight.

http://www.askacfi.com/247/how-do-i-become-a-ground-instructor.htm

Edit: And you are correct about staying current. I know that me tutoring these 2 people, it helped me to stay sharp, and remember more stuff that I learned.

I know they cannot log it as ground instruction, and I am not charging them a penny for it. But I am thinking of getting the BGI myself sometime early next year.

Last edited:
To qualify, you need to take FOI
That's the Fundamentals of Instruction written test, which is a test on the contents of the FAA's Aviation Instructor's Handbook.

and Ground Instructor Basic (or advanced, if you want to teach instrument) tests.
The Basic test is essentially a rehash of the Private written. The Advanced test is essentially a rehash of the Commercial written. The Advanced rating allows you to give ground training for all certificates and ratings other than those involving instrument privileges. To give instrument ground training, you need the Instrument rating, based on passing the GI-I written, which is essentially a rehash of the Instrument Rating written.

Once you pass them, you get a card.
It's not just automatically given like that sounds. You still have to fill out an 8710-1 and take it to the FSDO with the written test results to get your new Temporary Airman Certificate for Ground Instructor. The "card" will then be mailed to you later, just as with your pilot certificate after passing the practical test.

No other tests (oral, practical)
Correct.

Correct, within the limitations of whatever GI rating(s) you hold, per 14 CFR 61.215. In addition, you need to use it to keep it -- see 61.217 on recent experience requirements.

Are there many flight schools around the higher people for this purpose, or as an assistant at a flight school?

To sign a student endorsement to take the Private Pilot Written Airplane, I would have to hold that license?

Are there many flight schools around the higher people for this purpose, or as an assistant at a flight school?

To sign a student endorsement to take the Private Pilot Written Airplane, I would have to hold that license?

A Basic or Advanced Ground instructor, or a CFI, could endorse a student to take the knowledge exam for private pilot airplane.

I took and passed the tests necessary to obtain my IGI and BGI/AGI years ago. In the part 91/141 pipeline its useful really only for bragging rights and some very limited situations. Most flight schools are looking for CFI's because they make their money when the planes are flying. Ground instruction associated with flight instruction may be billed for, but its incidental to the flight.

The real "usefulness" of this ticket, if there is one, is for the airline guy who's wings get clipped and cannot fly anymore. He's able to work in the flight training department giving sim checks and sim rides with the ground instructor rating.

One question I DO have for the others... is with regards to currency. I am by NO means current as a ground instructor. What is the requirement for return to currency to endorse students? Proctored teaching? re-examination?

'Hired' as in W2 job with health insurance and 401k, probably not very common. There are however folks who cooperate with a flight school and provide ground instruction on their behalf. Helps the school to draw in prospective students with a next step after a discovery flight. I did an initial ground school with a guy who is a pastor and private pilot with a BGI certificate. He pays for his flying habit with the proceeds from conducting ground schools. If talking/teaching in front of a small group comes easy to you and once you have an established set of lessons and visual aids, it can be a nice little side business.

The real "usefulness" of this ticket, if there is one, is for the airline guy who's wings get clipped and cannot fly anymore. He's able to work in the flight training department giving sim checks and sim rides with the ground instructor rating.
No can do. Ground Instructors are not authorized to give training in flight simulation devices. See the Gatlin interpretation. If they want to do that, they need an unexpired CFI-IA certificate , or if they're working for an air carrier (121 or 135), an ATP and completion of the company's instructor training program, although no medical or flight review is needed.

One question I DO have for the others... is with regards to currency. I am by NO means current as a ground instructor. What is the requirement for return to currency to endorse students? Proctored teaching? re-examination?
Just what it says in 61.217:
The holder of a ground instructor certificate may not perform the duties of a ground instructor unless the person can show that one of the following occurred during the preceding 12 calendar months:
(a) Employment or activity as a ground instructor giving pilot, flight instructor, or ground instructor training;
(b) Employment or activity as a flight instructor giving pilot, flight instructor, or ground instructor ground or flight training;
(c) Completion of an approved flight instructor refresher course and receipt of a graduation certificate for that course; or
(d) An endorsement from an authorized instructor certifying that the person has demonstrated knowledge in the subject areas prescribed under Sec. 61.213(a)(3) and (a)(4), as appropriate.

Last edited:
'Hired' as in W2 job with health insurance and 401k, probably not very common. There are however folks who cooperate with a flight school and provide ground instruction on their behalf. Helps the school to draw in prospective students with a next step after a discovery flight. I did an initial ground school with a guy who is a pastor and private pilot with a BGI certificate. He pays for his flying habit with the proceeds from conducting ground schools. If talking/teaching in front of a small group comes easy to you and once you have an established set of lessons and visual aids, it can be a nice little side business.

That doesn't sound bad either.

Can a PP take (and pass) the IGI in lieu of the IR Knowledge Test as a prerequisite for the IR? 61.65 isn't specific on this

Sec. 61.65

(a) General. A person who applies for an instrument rating must:
(7) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of paragraph (b) of this section; however, an applicant is not required to take another knowledge test when that person already holds an instrument rating; and

Not that I have seen, I think this would be something your would have to solicit, I've not seen many postings for ground instructors, you would also probably have to undercut that schools ground rate for CFIs too.

If you want to get it, you should take the ground instructor written at the same time as your ppl written, same stuff more or less.

The advanced ground instructor IS NOT the same as the CPL Airplane, it also covers lighter then air, rotorcraft, gyrocopter, stuff too.

The advanced ground instructor IS NOT the same as the CPL Airplane, it also covers lighter then air, rotorcraft, gyrocopter, stuff too.
While that is true, the number of non-airplane questions isn't sufficient to fail you if you know the answers to all the airplane questions.

I personally would tell my primary students to steer clear of any ground instructor that has never actually accumulated any flight time of significance. Things *might* be a touch different for instrument students but not really.

So, you could get the IGI and be able to endorse others to take the instrument written (IRA), but you would need to get an endorsement to take it yourself...
Yup. Self-endorsement is prohibited by regulation.

I personally would tell my primary students to steer clear of any ground instructor that has never actually accumulated any flight time of significance. Things *might* be a touch different for instrument students but not really.

We had a fairly successfull ground instructor here for a while, she did it for 20 years or so, and never had a pilots license...

As far as I know, she was very effective at ground instruction.. But I wouldn't want to have been her first students.

Theory vs Practice. I sure any of us that have been to any type of school can relate

You don't have to be an engineer to teach highschool calculus.

Private pilot and instrument ground school is more about being an efficient classroom teacher than about being the worlds best 'stick'.

You don't have to be an engineer to teach highschool calculus.

Private pilot and instrument ground school is more about being an efficient classroom teacher than about being the worlds best 'stick'.

I wouldn't want to teach instrument without having an instrument rating and experience. Likewise, I don't have my private yet. I would want to have some flight experience before helping others out with the ground training.
that is just me.

61.195(i) covers it for Flight Instructor self endorsement. I don't see anything in 61.215 that specifically prohibits Ground Instructors from self endorsement but in a lot of cases, an endorsement is not required to take a written test anyway.

I saw this mentioned in another thread.
How is this different from a typical flight instructor?
What are the requirements?

As any kind of aviation instructor you need to be familiar with the regulations. The ones you are looking for are 61.211 - 61.217.

Bob Gardner

I am surprised you didn't give chapter and verse on this. Is that because it does not exist?
As I hinted, I can't find anything which explicitly prohibits it, but as I said, I'm sure if the FAA found someone doing it, they'd find a way at least to stop it from happening again.

Out of curiosity, since I haven't found anything in the regs yet, which writtens REQUIRE an endorsement other than in the event of a failure?

Out of curiosity, since I haven't found anything in the regs yet, which writtens REQUIRE an endorsement other than in the event of a failure?
Pretty much everything but instructor and ATP, and ATP is changing (at least for ME, where a 61.156 graduation certificate will be required). You'll find this in the eligibility section of each certificate Subpart.

Pretty much everything but instructor and ATP, and ATP is changing (at least for ME, where a 61.156 graduation certificate will be required). You'll find this in the eligibility section of each certificate Subpart.

Ok. Somewhere along the line I got the idea that if one did a self study course one could take the test without an endorsement. Relearn stuff every day, I suppose. :yes:

Ok. Somewhere along the line I got the idea that if one did a self study course one could take the test without an endorsement. Relearn stuff every day, I suppose. :yes:
Take another look at 61.35(a)(1) and see what you think. There's a reason Gleim and King send you an endorsement after completing their home study courses.

Take another look at 61.35(a)(1) and see what you think. There's a reason Gleim and King send you an endorsement after completing their home study courses.

Yeah. It was the "if required" part of that that got me. I misinterpreted what I read.

Gleim actually prints it out from the software automagically when you finish the tests successfully. You need this for the pilot written tests. The FOI and the ground instructor tests you can just take (go figure) with no endorsement either real or computer generated.

Every winter I think about doing it - maybe it would come in handy in a club environment.

About 12 years ago, after I completed a Part 141 ground school that burned through four instructors who were CFIs leaving for regional carriers, the chief instructor told me that if I got my BGI he'd put me to work teaching the Jeppesen Private Pilot course at the school. I didn't pursue it because I was busy, but also because I knew the CFIs were making $7.50/hour and sleeping on the couch in the pilot's lounge.

I know one AGI who, event January, conducts an online ground school using GoToMeeting for students seeking the Sport Pilot Gyroplane ticket. His last 11-week class had 41 students, and 100% of graduates who earned a sign-off from him have passed the FAA knowledge test.

That's an odd situation, because most gyro students have to travel to spend time with a CFI, so they want to check that box ahead of time rather than depend on the quality of the informal instruction that happens during flight instruction. (It's also cheaper.) But it's not hard to imagine you could find some other niche or sub-focus that would be attractive in an in-person or online setting.

Bob Miller, a CFI in the Buffalo, NY area who used to do a newsletter on safety topics, did a great online instrument course that wasn't even designed to prep students for the instrument test, just acquaint them with real-world IFR situations. It was a terrific course, and attracted participants, and wouldn't require even a GI certificate. The secret to making it all work is not the certificate, but value, unique content, and good marketing.

About 12 years ago, after I completed a Part 141 ground school that burned through four instructors who were CFIs leaving for regional carriers, the chief instructor told me that if I got my BGI he'd put me to work teaching the Jeppesen Private Pilot course at the school. I didn't pursue it because I was busy, but also because I knew the CFIs were making $7.50/hour and sleeping on the couch in the pilot's lounge.

Chances are, had you stuck around and eliminated a headache for the school, after a while, your hourly for just providing ground instruction would have been higher than what the CFIs received.

As I hinted, I can't find anything which explicitly prohibits it, but as I said, I'm sure if the FAA found someone doing it, they'd find a way at least to stop it from happening again.

In the conversations I've had with some officials, it's not the intent of it to be lax on this point, however if someone who held a GI certificate with instrument and advanced privileges were to self endorse for private, commercial and instrument rating writtens were to get caught, there would likely be no enforcement on the matter because there is no 'safety of flight' issue. You still need CFI/CFI-I's signatures to take the oral/practical tests. I don't see how someone who is authorized to provide training can't say they've trained themselves for the same training.

The ban against FI self-endorsement is interesting to me, since to become a CFI, you have to hold at least a commercial certificate with instrument rating, so what other pilot written tests would you take? ATP didn't require an endorsement, to add say a multi engine rating to your certificate requires no written tests... So what test would you be taking that does require an endorsement?

OP, before you go through with it, be sure that you essentially have a ground instruction job waiting for you. I have my AGI certificate but it serves no use to me. The flight school where I spend most of my time doesn't want an AGI, they want CFI's. Guess what I'm working on now?

Back