What is a Toboggan

What is a Toboggan?

• Total voters

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
I was wondering what MOST people on here consider a toboggan.

A hat or a sled?

One when I was leaving work my old boss said..."I like your toboggan?" I said "What?" She said..."Your toboggan" and pointed at my head. I told her..."I don't have a sled on my head!!!"

I had to show her in the dictionary what a toboggan was!!!!! :mad:

Last edited:
I think they mixed up toboggan and toque.

Hoseheads.

I was wondering what MOST people on here consider a toboggan.

A hat or a sled?

One when I was leaving work my old boss said..."I like your toboggan?" I said "What?" She said..."Your toboggan" and pointed at my head. I told her..."I don't have a sled on my head!!!"

I had to show her in the dictionary what a toboggan was!!!!! :mad:

I used to work for one of the most flamingest fags ever to walk the planet, and in his vernacular, Toboggan was a verb rather than a noun.:eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sometimes I still miss that charachter, he could always make me laugh.

Both, but I voted "hat" since that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the subject.

A toboggan is a sled, and there are several types. I have been a member of the National Ski Patrol for 17yrs and am mainly familiar with the Cascade type. It is the big heavy orange sled with long handles (horns) for transporting injured skiers downhill.
I guess the woven stocking hat one might wear while handling a toboggan would be a toboggan cap.

thanks ed, i had no idea what kind of hat the poor southerners were talking about.

again, a poll missing the correct choice!

3. Yes!

A toboggan is the sort of hat worn by those odd yankees that ride the sleds, ALSO known as toboggans!

I think, as Barks pointed out, it used to be called a "toboggan cap" and was shortened to just "toboggan". It's a living language, usage changes. Get used to it!:)

Why doesn't the poll allow for C) Both A & B

So is this like one of those crazy things where Smartees are totally different in Canada (much better, too)?

Actually, I was beaten to the Canada reference by Mike. I don't think Americans call them toques, we call them "beanies."

I've heard both. Here is an aviation reference. A Tobbogan is a maneuver performed by an Aerial Tanker and a Bobmber during Air Fefueling. If the bomber was having trouble staying in position due to high drag/weight, he could request a "Toboggan". The tanker would start a shallow descent giving the bomber a little more thrust advantage. Wasn't much of a problem with the B-52H and subsequent aircraft, but earlier models could need it at heavy weight.

Maddog

So is this like one of those crazy things where Smartees are totally different in Canada (much better, too)?

Actually, I was beaten to the Canada reference by Mike. I don't think Americans call them toques, we call them "beanies."

The best I could use in a hat shop is "watch cap"' which implies it's black or navy blue. "ski cap?"

thanks ed, i had no idea what kind of hat the poor southerners were talking about.

I dont think southerners ever know what they are talking about. See Chip's posts in Nick's I'm sorry thread as evidence. :rofl:

That's right, Chip. It's on like Donkey Kong!!!

of course, i dont even know why they have their own word for stocking cap. not like theyve ever used a toboggan (either version)

poor suckers. i cant imagine life without marked changes in seasons and snow.

of course, i dont even know why they have their own word for stocking cap. not like theyve ever used a toboggan (either version)

Yeah, it's hard to imagine February in shorts and a t-shirt walking around in a pair of flip flops at night, watching The Weather Channel in an open air bar on the boardwalk and seeing the bundled up northerners scurrying through subzero conditions as another Artic Zephyr moves through....:D

IIRC, the high of the day this was taken was 5deg. We are in the South here and I did use a toboggan that day.:D :p

Attachments

• march10002.jpg
    march10002.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 9
Both! Option "C" should reflect this.

But, there should be a fourth option...

D) Going down hill on your head.

I've done it! :D

Yeah, it's hard to imagine February in shorts and a t-shirt walking around in a pair of flip flops at night, watching The Weather Channel in an open air bar on the boardwalk and seeing the bundled up northerners scurrying through subzero conditions as another Artic Zephyr moves through....:D

Yeah, and when we visit in December and it's 65° all the southerners are bundled up in winter coats while we're out playing in the surf.

Where's the choice for "single engine plane manufactured by EADS/Socata"?

-Rich

I believe that would be a Tobago which also happens to be an island where you'll never see a tobaggan
I knew dat. Shoulda added the smiley, I guess. I don't think I could get on the radio and announce, "Tobago, NXXXX..." without thinking "toboggan." :)

-Rich

Back