What instrument is this?

German guy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Oliver
Is saw this instrument on a picture of an older Cessna 172:
Instrument.jpg

I was wondering what kind of instrument this is. First I thought, that it might be a fuel flow monitor, a EGT display, a basic engine monitor or even a autopilot. Despite of some intensive googling, I however came up empty handed.

So - any ideas what this might be?

Precursor to a metal landing calculator before they went mobile.
They used to be mounted in the panel.

Then damned if sporty's didn't make a handheld version that put those guys out of business.

Can't really tell -- the picture is too grainy and won't enlarge. Got a better, higher resolution image?

Precursor to a metal landing calculator before they went mobile.
They used to be mounted in the panel.

Then damned if sporty's didn't make a handheld version that put those guys out of business.

This post tho!

Oh, it must have a turbo encabulator, that looks like the controller/display head.

Oh, it must have a turbo encabulator, that looks like the controller/display head.

Hahahaha, this it too cool! :D :rofl: :lol:
I had to look it up. For those who also don't know what a Turbo Encabulator is, a video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/MXW0bx_Ooq4

The explanation on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator

Here is the bigger picture of the panel:
Panel.jpg

It appears as whether the green and the red dots are buttons, that it has two small displays and a small toggle switch at the bottom. I have to admit, that my general curiosity regarding this instrument starts to turn into obsession, because I can't figure out what it is.

The panel is of the 172G we want to buy, the seller however had not listed this instrument in his ad. I don't want to bug him with too many of my silly questions, before even the pre-buy inspection has been completed. I therefore thought the joint knowledge of PoA might provide me with a quick answer. Apparently, the mystery is however more difficult to solve than expected... ;)

Hahahaha, this it too cool! :D :rofl: :lol:
I had to look it up. For those who also don't know what a Turbo Encabulator is, a video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/MXW0bx_Ooq4

The explanation on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator

Here is the bigger picture of the panel:
Panel.jpg

It appears as whether the green and the red dots are buttons, that it has two small displays and a small toggle switch at the bottom. I have to admit, that my general curiosity regarding this instrument starts to turn into obsession, because I can't figure out what it is.

The panel is of the 172G we want to buy, the seller however had not listed this instrument in his ad. I don't want to bug him with too many of my silly questions, before even the pre-buy inspection has been completed. I therefore thought the joint knowledge of PoA might provide me with a quick answer. Apparently, the mystery is however more difficult to solve than expected... ;)

I believe the factory placed a clock in that location. My guess is it's an aftermarket clock.

Looks like a Ronco MP3 rewinder that a buddy of mine had back in the 90s. Didn't know they had a panel mount version.

I am afraid Henning and Steven are right and it is just an aftermarket clock. Too bad, I was hoping that it might be a fuel flow instrument.... :redface:

Interestingly though, I am still not able to find it on the internet. Apparently, this wasn't the best selling instrument / clock back then... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am afraid Henning and Steven are right and it is just an aftermarket clock. Too bad, I was hoping that it might be a fuel flow instrument.... :redface:

Interestingly though, I am still not able to find it on the internet. Apparently, this wasn't the best selling instrument / clock back then... :rolleyes:

Yeah, too bad, no. Usually you find those on the right side of the panel in the engine cluster, sometimes they are incorporated into a multi function engine monitor.

Several cheap crappy replacement clocks came out for a while.

Chronometer....."Digital Voice Recorder"...looks like it has a black box...with a CVR. :eek:

Flightcom Aviation clock/chronometer DVR 300i

DVR.jpg

DVR.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, too bad, no. Usually you find those on the right side of the panel in the engine cluster, sometimes they are incorporated into a multi function engine monitor. [...]

With the small tanks it would have been nice to have a precise understanding of the fuel used.

For now, the plane is fine just as it is, including 2x NAV / COM and an old KLN-90B IFR GPS, for which database updates are still available:
kln90b.jpg

If the pre-buy inspections turns out OK, we will enjoy it this sommer and have the panel upgraded next winter. Right now, we are thinking of a Garmin GTN-650 + Flight Stream + some kind of ADS-B in / out solution. We have yet to think about the details.

We also want to have the right side of the panel replaced and an engine monitor like the Electronics International CGR-30P installed, to make room for the permanent installation of a tablet-mount.
CGR-right-2015.png

Lets see. The results of the pre-buy inspection should be in by the middle of next week....

With the small tanks it would have been nice to have a precise understanding of the fuel used.

For now, the plane is fine just as it is, including 2x NAV / COM and an old KLN-90B IFR GPS, for which database updates are still available:
kln90b.jpg

If the pre-buy inspections turns out OK, we will enjoy it this sommer and have the panel upgraded next winter. Right now, we are thinking of a Garmin GTN-650 + Flight Stream + some kind of ADS-B in / out solution. We have yet to think about the details.

We also want to have the right side of the panel replaced and an engine monitor like the Electronics International CGR-30P installed, to make room for the permanent installation of a tablet-mount.
CGR-right-2015.png

Lets see. The results of the pre-buy inspection should be in by the middle of next week....

If you do nothing else with the left side of the panel, at least straighten out the six pack.

If you do nothing else with the left side of the panel, at least straighten out the six pack.

Yup

I also wouldn't design your panel around a consumer electronic device like a ipad.

Yup

I also wouldn't design your panel around a consumer electronic device like a ipad.

I saw a pretty neat setup with a iPad in the center of the panel, and the radios / GPS on the right. I'm an Android guy, the available panel mounts for iPad look however very tempting. A panel mounted tablet, running Garmin Pilot in combination with the Garmin GTN 650 and Flight Stream appears to be a very smooth and capable setup.

Back