What in the world happened to Glen de Vries N90559?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
Two highly experienced pilots in a perfectly functioning airplane (according to the NSTB) in perfect weather fall out of the sky and die. How?

I'm surprised more people aren't asking questions. Glen went to space with William Shatner and less than a month later died in this Cessna 172 accident.

NSTB says the plane had no mechanical issues.
Weather was perfect.
Both pilots were experienced and instrument rated.
Glen was at the controls with Tom Fischer, who owned the airplane for 10 years and was a gold seal CFI who had trained hundreds of people to fly.

The only thing I can think of is carbon monoxide poisoning, but this was a 2011 Cessna 172 and Cessna added CO detection to the G1000 in 2006. Is it possible the CO detector was inop?

I'm just baffled by how these guys went down given all the conditions.

https://www.njherald.com/story/news...ntsb-findings-glen-de-vries-death/8844616002/

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/11/fatal-accident-occurred-november-11.html

You mean CO?

Have to love reporters...

"Electrical flow from the flight control cables was observed, investigators added."

"Electrical flow from the flight control cables was observed, investigators added."
They used an ohm meter to establish control cable continuity.:rolleyes:

but no, I don’t have to love reporters.

Musta come from this in the NTSB Preliminary. Looks like the reporter had a little knowledge of some electrical terms. “…Flight control cable continuity was observed from the primary flight control surfaces to the cockpit…”

I am not a pilot or a reporter. I worked with, and for, Glen de Veries for almost 20 years, and have been wondering what on earth happened to his plane, and why nobody is asking any deeper questions? Glen was a high profile entrepreneur worth $900 Million, seems odd this would not get some sort of 'second look'. Is there any place else this group recommends posting questions about this beyond the Mishaps Forum?

Back