What ICAO Surveillance selections for Stratus ESGi?

birdus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Williams
I'm trying to fill out the ICAO Surveillance option in Garmin Pilot and am not sure what to select.

It's asking for a "Transponder" selection and an "ADS-B Equipment" selection.

Anyone know?

Some manufacturers provide ICAO surveillance codes for their respective products:
Garmin ICAO Flight Plan Equipment Codes.

For stratus ESGi (2i or 3i), consider ...
ADS Equipment
For Stratus ESG ADS-B Out with non-certified ADS-B In receiver (2i or 3i), B1 appears appropriate.
-Remember to lookup the aircraft's Mode S HEX code: https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Inquiry.aspx
Enter the HEX code in Garmin Pilot unders Settings > Aircraft > <select aircraft>
-Under 'ICAO Other Information', Code/<enter your aircraft's 6 alphanumeric HEX code>

Transponder
Product information to determine the ICAO surveillance code should be in the AFM/STC documents.
Stratus AFM describes the ESG as "1090 ES transponder".
REF: Manual/STC documents: https://stratusbyappareo.com/resources/
Alternatively, check with manufacturer.
or ...
From this recent example, scroll down to the Bonanza A36 example.
Garmin G500 TXi, Garmin GTN650 Nav/Comm/GPS, Appareo Stratus ESG transponder
ICAO Surveillance:
“L” (Mode S Transponder, Enhanced Surveillance, Extended Squitter),
"B1” (ADS-B with dedicated 1090 MHz ADS-B “out” capability)

In GP under Equipment > ICAO Surveillance, select L and B1
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm trying to fill out the ICAO Surveillance option in Garmin Pilot and am not sure what to select.

It's asking for a "Transponder" selection and an "ADS-B Equipment" selection.

Anyone know?

This came from Apparreo:
Thank you for reaching out to Appareo. For ADS-B Out you will use Surveillance code "B1" ADS-B Out Only and for Transponder, you will use Code "E". If you have our Portable ADS-B in receiver interfaced with the transponder, you will still use ADS-B code "B1" because it is not a certified ADS-B in unit.

Back