What I want for Christmas...

I don't think it's as cool as you might expect. The only position data you will get is from fully ADS/B equipped aircraft. Outside of AK there are probably no more than a dozen or two in the US.

lancefisher said:
I don't think it's as cool as you might expect. The only position data you will get is from fully ADS/B equipped aircraft. Outside of AK there are probably no more than a dozen or two in the US.

No too mention that this depends on you ability to hear them. So if you do not have a good location or antenna you get squat.

I think you would enjoy a subscirption to one of those ATC flight tracker services better.

lancefisher said:

Unless I read it wrong, it works with ADS/B and Mode-S equipped aircraft.

Troy Whistman said:

oh so instead of 2 dozen itll be 3 dozen! :)

Troy Whistman said:

Mode-S Data:

• Mode-S Code
  • Squawk Code
  • Callsign
  • Registration (Red One)
  • Altitude
ADS-B Data:

• Mode-S Code
  • Squawk Code
  • Callsign
  • Registration (Red One)
  • Altitude
  • Lat/Lon
  • Speed
  • Real-time track
So ADS-B will give you the nifty tracks...

Troy Whistman said:

I think you're reading it wrong. With Mode S equipped aircraft all you get is their ID number, altitude and possibly N-number. Mode S does not transmit position so you can't possibly receive it. OTOH if the unit was capable of sorting out the TIS messages sent to mode-S xponders, you could display TIS traffic if you could receive the transmissions, but that would require you to be within direct line of sight of the TRACON radar site (IOW at the class B airport).

lancefisher said:
I think you're reading it wrong. With Mode S equipped aircraft all you get is their ID number, altitude and possibly N-number. Mode S does not transmit position so you can't possibly receive it. OTOH if the unit was capable of sorting out the TIS messages sent to mode-S xponders, you could display TIS traffic if you could receive the transmissions, but that would require you to be within direct line of sight of the TRACON radar site (IOW at the class B airport).

OK, I stand corrected, and I've changed my mind. I want a Mooney for Christmas instead!

Troy Whistman said:
OK, I stand corrected, and I've changed my mind. I want a Mooney for Christmas instead!

A bit of a change in the price range, but good choice! :D

Back