What I learned today

Looking at the AIM I'm unclear what the white chevrons mean

Well, I figured out that if they are white they are "arrows" not "chevrons". Still not clear on their meaning.

Well, I figured out that if they are white they are "arrows" not "chevrons". Still not clear on their meaning.

White arrows only have one meaning.

Looking at the AIM I'm unclear what the white chevrons mean
white chevrons indicate a displaced threshold.

aim_img_a1e.jpeg

The displaced threshold is very useful for taking of from the end of the runway the displaced threshold is on, if you choose to use it, which IMO you should.

A displaced threshold is a threshold located at a point on the runway other than the designated beginning of the runway. Displacement of a threshold reduces the length of runway available for landings. The portion of runway behind a displaced threshold is available for takeoffs in either direction and landings from the opposite direction. A ten feet wide white threshold bar is located across the width of the runway at the displaced threshold. White arrows are located along the centerline in the area between the beginning of the runway and displaced threshold. White arrow heads are located across the width of the runway just prior to the threshold bar, as shown in FIG 2-3-4.

My bad. They are white arrow heads.

Back