What I Ended Up Deciding To Do

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
A couple of weeks ago I had a long conversation with a deadheadding pilot on a trip back from Dallas. He was very interesting to speak with, and was also helpful in using the Socratic method with my queries. For now, I am not going to continue work on the commercial, as there is no immediate need for it. In future, I may want to teach, in which case I would obviously go back to that certificate.

Perhaps within the year I will get the multi-engine "rating," because there is a flight school that rents Seminoles. The same flight school, though, also rents a single which is more comfortable, newer, faster, and with better avionics (IMO). If they ever get the Seneca they've been talking about buying, that would get me into their Seminoles to get the rating and then into the Seneca for the required hours.

Meanwhile, my teacher has recently become fulltime at the corporate job he has, and therefore has decided that his next aircraft purchase will be a six-seater, primarily for family use. If he still had to make most of his money teaching, he would have had to buy a four-seater, but now he can use his two two-seaters for training. He plans to rent the six-seater to a few of his instrument-rated students. He's looking for a non-turbo, five to ten year-old C206 or PA-32, if you know anyone who is selling.

Although I have about 45 hours in the Saratoga, his insurance will still probably require 5-10 recent hours, which I would want, anyway. So I am planning on going with him to pick the plane up, and fly it back with him. We can do VFR and IFR work on the way home. My recent flights have been alternating solo VFR/IFR practice and cross-countries.

So, that's Ben's Big Aviation Plans for the next few months!

Go for it, Ben and thanks for the update. I must say, I have a hard time understanding why to forestall a rating simply because one does not see a need for it at this time. If it's money or time commitment, I understand, but aside from that I do not understand.

Ben,

What is your goal? Career change? Something to augment your career? Fun?

Richard said:
Go for it, Ben and thanks for the update. I must say, I have a hard time understanding why to forestall a rating simply because one does not see a need for it at this time. If it's money or time commitment, I understand, but aside from that I do not understand.
You have hit the nail on the head. I have to be very careful about money especially, and time, too. If I might be doing 10-15 hours of flying in the next month (to get current in the new plane), I have to wait on another rating.

Anthony said:
Ben,

What is your goal? Career change? Something to augment your career? Fun?
Fun and transport. I think that a C206 and Saratoga nicely fill the "transport" requirement, and I can always fly the Zlin for fun, if the CFI doesn't sell it.

Ben, Contact Jeff Wright on the AOPA board (JHW). I've seen the bird, it's in good shape. Plus there is a disinterested shop that can do the inspection/annual which does not do his work- and that shop is MY mech, you'll get a good assessment.

Besides, you need some Seneca time....

bbchien said:
Ben, Contact Jeff Wright on the AOPA board (JHW). I've seen the bird, it's in good shape. Plus there is a disinterested shop that can do the inspection/annual which does not do his work- and that shop is MY mech, you'll get a good assessment.

Wow! Is this a PA-32 or -34 we're talking about?

spiderweb said:
PA-32-300 $87,500. Heck, I'm wondering if there's some way I can afford it :yes:

spiderweb said:

A -32, but I think Bruce was referring to his own -34... :yes:

That is a nice-looking plane. Hmmm...

bbchien said:

Bruce, is this a fixed gear? Unfortunately, I can't convince my CFI to get a retract because he thinks the insurance will be too high. I don't know that there will be so much of a difference--he is already limiting it to IR pilots only. Maybe it is because he will also instruct IR students in it, too. I don't know.

spiderweb said:
Bruce, is this a fixed gear? Unfortunately, I can't convince my CFI to get a retract because he thinks the insurance will be too high. I don't know that there will be so much of a difference--he is already limiting it to IR pilots only. Maybe it is because he will also instruct IR students in it, too. I don't know.
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotected/specs/45053.html

Wow--nice bird! My CFI really wants something less than 25 years old, though. I wish they made fixed gears in the early nineties, but it seems the Saratoga FGs are all early eighties, and then very recently with the 6X.

Gotta get my CFI to go retract!

he's limiting himself pretty heavily by only going 25 years old or newer. find a good clean well maintained older bird and go have fun.

tonycondon said:
he's limiting himself pretty heavily by only going 25 years old or newer. find a good clean well maintained older bird and go have fun.
Tony, it is the competition in this area. Frankly, most flight schools in this area have many new or nearly-new birds to rent. He wants a Saratoga or C206, but it has to be at least 1980 or younger so that it becomes the "deluxe" rental. (He has an early 1970s C150 for training, and a 1998 Zlin, too.)

See, he is primarily buying it as a family airplane, and hoping for only about 300 hours per year of rental from four or so selected IR-rated students, just to keep operating costs down. In turn, he is only going to charge operating cost for the rental. Ideally, we're hoping for a $160 per hour rental of a late-90's C206 or PA-32.

I see Ben. It always seemed silly to me that people really factor age in when they are considering what to rent. Maybe its cause more than 90% of my hours are in airplanes more than 25 years old, but a well maintained antique wins out over a beat up late model in my book. Some people just like the new plane smell I guess.

Ben, everything you've said supports the older, well-maintained airplane. No need to spend extra money to impress someone, he wants a select few to fly it, and wants an airplane to meet the mission.

That -300 looks like the "made man" for the deal.

Only things I *might* add, might, are an IFR-cert GPS, and a backup vacuum source.

Nice bird for the money.

I have very little experience in newer aircraft. I have flown a few post year 2000 aircraft and all of them may have had the "new airplane smell" but they were still just beat to hell trainers.

The nicest airplanes I've flown have all been at least 25 years old.

Age means nothing.

SCCutler said:
Ben, everything you've said supports the older, well-maintained airplane. No need to spend extra money to impress someone, he wants a select few to fly it, and wants an airplane to meet the mission.

That -300 looks like the "made man" for the deal.

Only things I *might* add, might, are an IFR-cert GPS, and a backup vacuum source.

Nice bird for the money.
The problem is the wing--flying qualities and speed are better once you get to the "Lance" then "Saratoga" era. Now, I will qualify that by saying I have never flown a "Six," but I love the Saratoga.

jangell said:
I have very little experience in newer aircraft. I have flown a few post year 2000 aircraft and all of them may have had the "new airplane smell" but they were still just beat to hell trainers.

Age means nothing.
Jesse, it is different in the Balto/Wash area. Most of the rentals are new. But my CFI still has the inexpensive, early 70s-era C150 for rent. I love her too--good, cheap flying fun!

James_Dean said:
Ben,

What is your budget?

James Dean
$0 for buying. Seriously, I'm not buying. My CFII is buying for himself, with the idea that he would rent to a select few just to help keep flying hours to 300 + per year, thus keeping down operating cost.

jangell said:

Age means nothing.

Yup. Those of you I've met at fly-ins have seen the 182 (N271G) that I usually bring. It looks great (2005 paint, ~2001 interior), flies great, and is well-equipped (G430, S-TEC 50). We had an expensive annual on it a year ago, but it's been absolutely rock solid ever since (including the voluntary 100-hours that we do).

It's also older than I am. Cessna builds one heckuva tough airplane. :yes:

Of course, I also like flying the new birds with glass panels too. :D

jangell said:
Age means nothing.
That simply is not true. If you had said, age ALONE means nothing, then I would agree.

spiderweb said:
That simply is not true. If you had said, age ALONE means nothing, then I would agree.
Ben, I be that is what Jesse meant. The Jessenator may be many things, but a fool, he ain't.

Back