What I am giving up to be at Gaston's

Just bring your banjo and jam with Nick on the Pipes at 2:30 am :)

Pete

"48 hours of total banjo immersion"

Sounds . . . thrilling.

~ Christopher

Probably as thrilling to most banjo aficionados as the Gaston's fly-in is to pilots... and vice-versa. Or something.

PS-

Scott-

Bring your banjo to Arkansas- it will be fun!

In all seriousness, something about that movie was very disturbing!

In all seriousness, something about that movie was very disturbing!

Well there is this part

Hard to believe Burt was able to fill up his SUV for $4.99

Pretty disturbing that prices have gone up that much. Pretty soon we will start sounding like our parents talking about buying bread for $.03 and going to the movies for a $.10

...Hard to believe Burt was able to fill up his SUV for $4.99

Pretty disturbing that prices have gone up that much. Pretty soon we will start sounding like our parents talking about buying bread for $.03 and going to the movies for a $.10

You're mistaken. It wasn't an SUV. SUVs hadn't been invented yet. It's just a Jeep Cherokee. ;)

In my lifetime, a candy bar was 5 cents. A (glass!) bottle of Coke was a dime. A pound of chicken and a gallon of gas were both 25 cents. I made 50 cents an hour a the drug store when I was 11. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

Last edited:
Well, he is the father of Angelina Jolie.

Well there is this part

Hard to believe Burt was able to fill up his SUV for $4.99

I do enjoy that song... great picking. But, how about this rendition?

That guy just creeps me out, he looks like an alien.
Are you talking about the kid playing banjo?

His name is Billy Redden. He is a really nice guy and he also appeared in Big Fish. I spoke to him once and he was an interesting person to talk with. He is not retarded and does get a little upset that people consider him as such. When I spoke to him a few years back he was working at restaurant he co-owned in Clayton, GA. At one time he used to do river tours but too many of his buddies got hurt on the river so he gave it up. I still have a contact that keeps in touch with him and get I updates once in a while. He sold the restaurant and is now working in retail but doing well.

PJ,

I almost died laughing . . . then I unplugged the computer . . . then it was funny again.

~ Christopher

Scott, you'd have fun at that camp... you should go!!

I had not seen that Deliverance scene before. Fun stuff. If you've ever played Guitar Hero 2, you'll appreciate the fast fingers and eyes it takes to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wfdgY5ZYDk&NR=1

Especially starting about 2:10 into the video...

Well I am going to a banjo camp later in the year. I will go to America's banjo Camp out in Washington State. It is near Port Townsend right where they filmed Officer and a Gentleman.

It is near Port Townsend right where they filmed Officer and a Gentleman.

Ah, Port Townsend. I have spent a lot of time there. Been there before? You'll enjoy it. Just a little further down the road in Port Angeles, try to get up to see Hurricane Ridge if you can spare a day. You won't regret it.

A short ferry ride from PT over to Keystone will put you on Whidbey Island... Tom's over there, I think.

Last edited:
You're mistaken. It wasn't an SUV. SUVs hadn't been invented yet. It's just a Jeep Cherokee. ;)

In my lifetime, a candy bar was 5 cents. A (glass!) bottle of Coke was a dime. A pound of chicken and a gallon of gas were both 25 cents. I made 50 cents an hour a the drug store when I was 11. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

...and I remember gas at 17.9 cents/gallon full service, and made $80 for 8 weeks of work in the summer (room and board included).

-Skip

...and I remember gas at 17.9 cents/gallon full service, and made $80 for 8 weeks of work in the summer (room and board included).

-Skip
Doesn't sound like it has gotten that bad.

$80 (two months of work) would buy you 446 gallons of gas.

Now
$3.50 per gallon * 446 gallons = $1561 = $4.80 per hour .. You'd have to look real hard to find any type of work at $4.80 even with room and board. You it is very likely that you would walk away with way more gallons of gas today.

Last edited:
Back