What headset do you use?

David Clark H10-30 as you see in the picture to the left. I don't know why other people claim they are uncomfortable.

Honestly, I don't even remember the brand name of mine. The two pairs came with the airplane and are of some cheap unknown brands but hey, they work perfectly fine for the +/- $50 they cost so I don't really care. :)
OTOH, it's not like my O-320 makes that much racket so any headset will do.

Lightspeed Zulu.2 for me and my wife. No complaints so far.

I've got 3 AvComm, two AC-200's and one AC-900. I used the 200 for all my training. I now use a Telex, not sure what model. It's the first generation ANR from them and I bought two pairs form eBay for $60.

John

I've got a pair of Zulu2's I use for personal stuff and a Telex 750 at work.

Clarity Aloft. Most comfortable set I've owned. Eliminates clamp pressure, which is a plus if you're flying long x-cntry. The in-ear design makes it easy to don and remove sunglasses with one hand. Sound clarity is excellent. A little less noise suppression than my Bose ANR (pre-A20, whatever that was called). But, I don't mind hearing the engine better. :)

4 years with the David Clark's for me and no complaints. Best money to spend because of the lifetime warranty.

I have 2 DC 10-13.4's they work great and get beat up a lot.
Note they do not have a lifetime warranty, but a 5 year warranty.

I finally broke one of the ear cups on one of them, I have had them both for more that 12 years. They charged me $120 and sent me a refurbished headset (essentially new), was not a particularly fast turn around but I wasn't in a hurry either. Fair but not exactly exceptional service.

One the other hand it took me more that 12 years to break one, which is the main reason I use the DC's. I would love a Zulu, but I am not sure it would hold up to the abuse I normally give my head sets doing flight instruction, in multiple aircraft, they just get moved around a lot, which tends to be hard on them.

Brian

Zulu 2 starting a few months ago. Before that David Clark 10-40s since about 1985. Best passive headset I've ever used. Worked flying big radials.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Thanks for all of the comments. I had a hard time choosing between Bose, David Clark, and others, but the Lightspeed $100 off sale sealed the deal and I picked up a PFX. Went flying with it for the first time today and was blown away by how quiet they were.

New student pilot here and new to the forum. I've been reading on here for quite some time and gathering a lot of information! Wanted to say hello!

Also mention my Lightspeed Sierra's. I've used Bose X, Bose A20's and my Sierras. I like all 3 very much! For the price point, you can't beat the Sierra's with the bluetooth connectivity.

I have the Lightspeed iPhone app FlightLink to record in flight conversations from ATC and my instructor. Nice to go back to listen for certain instructions you might not remember otherwise.

I have about 450 hours on my Bose A20's. They are great, except sometimes they pick up a bit of electrical interference. Sometimes, it sounds like a fly is buzzing in my ear or I get a sound similar to a zip tie tightening really fast, but they are momentary.

Now that I think about it, every once in a while, my A20's will randomly shut off. They work fine 99% of the time, but sometimes they just don't seem to work.

For decades, DCs.

Then Lightspeed Sierras.

Grabbed new Lighspeed Zulus at OSH for $775 new. Couldn't resist.

Still keep the DCs in the back. They always work and the mic still sounds better than ANY headset I've ever used.

(Show price on the Zulus was $800. If you asked the Lightspeed rep at any vendor booth for a little coupon and then took it to the Lightspeed tent and had it validated, another $25 off. Gotta love OSH when it comes to figuring out how to get you to part with your money... Heh.)

Back