What hath SanDisk Wrought?

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
I finally did it. I broke down and bought an MP3 player (OK, I bought 2 - Woot for $9.99 each, 1 MB Sandisk players).

I am sitting here listening to CTA. Wonder if the '08 convention will be like '68. Oh, wait, it's not in Chicago where a Daley can send the po-lice in.

Now I know why I didn't get one before, even with all the airline travel. It's hard to put down a new toy.

Wow, 1 MB huh. That will impress the girls.:D

I still have my old iRiver H320. I cant do without it. Works great when you are bored sitting around FBO's.

I just got a refurbished Creative Labs Zen V for $49.95 (4Gb). I use it to put audio books from the library on. It's great for airline trips. Just plug in one side of the headset (so I can still hear traffic noise), and not too loud, and it's good for a long interstate driving trip as well. Sure makes the time go faster.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=16774

No pink iPod? :D Welcome to the 21st century!

What's CTA?

-Rich

Chicago Transit Authority. Old music group.

I realized that CTA (aka Chicago 1) is 40 years old. :-O

And 40 years since the infamous convention. And that this year's convention is shaping up to be as contested as that one was. Now all we need is a few anti-war protesters (that aren't afraid of landing on the watch/no-fly list) and a (insert adjective) mayor to make it just like the old days.

Man, I'm old.

I finally did it. I broke down and bought an MP3 player (OK, I bought 2 - Woot for $9.99 each, 1 MB Sandisk players).

I am sitting here listening to CTA. Wonder if the '08 convention will be like '68. Oh, wait, it's not in Chicago where a Daley can send the po-lice in.

Now I know why I didn't get one before, even with all the airline travel. It's hard to put down a new toy.

That's funny... I didn't think anything of it at the time, but just yesterday morning I was listening to Chicago while riding the CTA on my iPod -- the iPod being about the only thing that offsets my frustration with the CTA enough to keep me from throwing myself in front of the train (well, that and the fact that by the time one shows up, I'm frozen stiff and unable to.)

I live right across Clark Street from Lincoln Park (the windows of my apartment look out onto it) and it's strange to think that it was pretty much ground zero back in '68.

That's funny... I didn't think anything of it at the time, but just yesterday morning I was listening to Chicago while riding the CTA on my iPod -- the iPod being about the only thing that offsets my frustration with the CTA enough to keep me from throwing myself in front of the train (well, that and the fact that by the time one shows up, I'm frozen stiff and unable to.)

I live right across Clark Street from Lincoln Park (the windows of my apartment look out onto it) and it's strange to think that it was pretty much ground zero back in '68.

That, and the guys in Chicago (the band, originally The Chicago Transit Authority) hooked up at DePaul in Lincoln Park.

That, and the guys in Chicago (the band, originally The Chicago Transit Authority) hooked up at DePaul in Lincoln Park.

And DePaul is where I went to school and hooked up with many a... Nevermind. :D

1MB? Are you serious? I hope you mean 1 GB....

1MB? Are you serious? I hope you mean 1 GB....

Yeah, 1 GB. What was I thinking?

Compress the files as much as some radio stations do and you can fit many, many tunes in 1 GB.

Compress the files as much as some radio stations do and you can fit many, many tunes in 1 GB.

Really? Another reason radio gaa-gaa sounds like crap.

So The iTunes Music store has better quality?

Really? Another reason radio gaa-gaa sounds like crap.

So The iTunes Music store has better quality?

Last first: in some cases, yes.

First last: It's not only the original compression ("bit rate reduction"), but also the fact that the songs are loaded into the audio system from CDs (usually RIPped, but some older stuff was CD->analog->digital->mp3), it comes out of the audio server as analog, run through an analog console, then redigitized and compressed for transmission on private digital and/or digital radio links, brought back to analog for audio processing, and sent to the transmitter. Ever heard what multiple compress/decompress cycles sounds like?

Some stations are digital throughout the entire chain, but most do an analog/digital conversion in 2 or more places. Vinyl always sounded better, cue burns notwithstanding.

Probably a bit of both, as I turn 39 next month.

Not really a big fan of Chicago or any variation thereof.

-Rich
Well, not the city but... the music is classic!

Old days
Good times I remember
Fun days
Filled with simple pleasures
Drive-in movies
Comic books and blue jeans
Howdy Doody
Baseball cards and birthdays
Take me back
To a world gone away
Memories
Seem like yesterday
:)

I'm clearly part of a different generation. I have an 80 gig iPod that is in my pocket right after I put on my jeans. I have videos, photos, and 5,000 songs (and podcasts) wherever I go. Heck, it went flying with me Tuesday.

Can I live without it? Yeah. I do sometimes. But when you're bored in class or want to show off your love of flying it's nice to have a tool to keep your mind going a little bit.

Okay then. Sorry, I have to retract my statement of making fun of ya. :)

I'm clearly part of a different generation. I have an 80 gig iPod that is in my pocket right after I put on my jeans. I have videos, photos, and 5,000 songs (and podcasts) wherever I go. Heck, it went flying with me Tuesday.

Can I live without it? Yeah. I do sometimes. But when you're bored in class or want to show off your love of flying it's nice to have a tool to keep your mind going a little bit.
Its not generational, there are plenty of us older guys on here tethered to their iPhones and constantly muttering under their breath about Apple and the 8Gb capacity:yes:

Its not generational, there are plenty of us older guys on here tethered to their iPhones and constantly muttering under their breath about Apple and the 8Gb capacity:yes:

Then trade up to the new 32GB version.

or wait until it's 64GB or 128GB (betcha by year end).

Probably a bit of both, as I turn 39 next month.

Not really a big fan of Chicago or any variation thereof.

-Rich

Chicago, Boston, Styx: gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Monty Python had a great solution:

"and now the sound of John Denver, being strangled..."

They are nice, I've got a 8MB iPod Nano and a 30MB Zune, they were nice gifts. Anyone know if I can plug the Zune onto iPod accessory players and not fry it? Are the plugs compatible?

Old Chicago (CTA-Chicago IV): good
Late stuff: pablum.

Styx: gaaaaah.

Boston: liked a couple o' tunes from the first album when it came out, didn't care for anything after that.

Denver: same as being airsick.

Most of my time is spent listening to jazz.

What's wrong with Styx? I am actually in a picture on one of their album covers, 'Caught in the Act'. It was taken in of the crowd in Cotton Bowl and I am there.

Domo Arigoto Mr. Roboto, Mahta Ohima Day!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

as for iPods i have:
16gig iTouch
32gig video
128k shuffle
8 gig mini

They are nice, I've got a 8MB iPod Nano and a 30MB Zune, they were nice gifts. Anyone know if I can plug the Zune onto iPod accessory players and not fry it? Are the plugs compatible?

For speakers and headphones, yes. You just can't use one that has an iPod dock or iPod connector. The 3.5mm audio plug is the same.

Before I got my iPod I used Logitech m22 speakers:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2005/03/logitech_m22_po.html
It comes with various sizes of a holder but the connection is at the headphone jack. I even had to do some surgery on the holder to make it sorta hold my 4th gen video iPod. Still use them, even on on my laptop. They fold into a small case for travel.

I.E. http://www.smalldog.com/product/34034

What's wrong with Styx? I am actually in a picture on one of their album covers, 'Caught in the Act'. It was taken in of the crowd in Cotton Bowl and I am there.

Was that at their Texas Jam concert at the Cotton Bowl? If so, I'm sure I wasn't far away from you. Didn't make the cover though. :(

Gawd those concerts bring back memories... mostly of hang overs and sunburns. :D

Was that at their Texas Jam concert at the Cotton Bowl? If so, I'm sure I wasn't far away from you. Didn't make the cover though. :(

Gawd those concerts bring back memories... mostly of hang overs and sunburns. :D
It sure was!

The groups there were Triumph, Uriah Heap, Sammy Hagar, Ted Nuggent and of course Styx.

Where you the hot girls with the spiked collar, purple hair, and all black clothing that was hanging out with me there?

We drove in from San Angelo the night before and then stood in line all day. When we finally got in it was so hot! Sitting down was not an option as all the beer and other fluids along with the cigarette butts would flow down toward where one's butt made an impression in the plastic cover over the astroturf. Later the stage crew shot the fire hoses at us to cool us down.

After the show we decided to drive back home but were still soaking wet. Somewhere west of Dallas we pulled over to change clothes on the side of the road. About the time me and friends were completely naked along comes a state cop. It took a little bit of talking but we did not get into any trouble. But I am sure we were story around the station for a long time!

It sure was!

Where you the hot girls with the spiked collar, purple hair, and all black clothing that was hanging out with me there?

lol. Not hardly... spiked collars and purple hair wasn't my thing. :D I made the mistake of wearing shorts and a halter top.. and didn't take any sunscreen. About 10 of us went, and we were not far from the stage.. just at the right distance to get enough of the full force of those fire hoses that it stung!

My sister and I getting past my dad smelling like a brewery that night was a challenge. I don't see how he didn't know we were hammered when we got home. All he noticed (or said anything about) was how bad those sun burns were going to hurt in the morning. I'm sure they did...but I couldn't tell past the blinding headache I had from the near alcohol poisoning. Not to mention the second hand high from the smoke. :rolleyes:

Styx was one of two (Wilderness Road) acts that played at a concert in my high school auditorium. MC'd by Bob Sirott.

I already tried the Zune will not fit into Ipod socket.

Dan

Another good speaker deal:

Amazon has JBL portable speakers for Less than half price:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BQ57BU/ref=thepilotcast

I was seriously tempted, but in the end I decided I can use my Logitechs anywhere I would have used these, like for listening to my iPod in the bathroom.

*sigh* I'm cutting back on buying toys in light of the new US (and personal) fianancial situation.

I already tried the Zune will not fit into Ipod socket.

Dan

Damn:mad: Oh well, I have an iPod as well, that was a nice door prize from an industry Chrismas party....

YOU DON'T NEED THE IPOD CONNECTOR. You only need the headphone jack, and that does work with speakers and such.

You just can't use a device that do things like remote control and display, which does need the iPod connector.

YOU DON'T NEED THE IPOD CONNECTOR. You only need the headphone jack, and that does work with speakers and such.

You just can't use a device that do things like remote control and display, which does need the iPod connector.

Yeah, exactly. A lot of the boats I run have an iPod docking station connected to the A/V system and that's what I was wondering about since I've got some 5 day deliveries coming up and my Zune is 30GB where as my Nano is 8GB. Sadly as is par for the course, there is no standardization. It's funny, I can link up 7 different manufacturers of marine electronics together under NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 standards, and it all goes well, but I can't dock my Zune to an iPod docking station.

Yeah, exactly. A lot of the boats I run have an iPod docking station connected to the A/V system and that's what I was wondering about since I've got some 5 day deliveries coming up and my Zune is 30GB where as my Nano is 8GB. Sadly as is par for the course, there is no standardization. It's funny, I can link up 7 different manufacturers of marine electronics together under NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 standards, and it all goes well, but I can't dock my Zune to an iPod docking station.

OK, so fix that.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=44BD9AA2&nclm=Certified

Back