What Happens to the FAA After Sept 30?

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/254968-faa-extension-dropped-from-new-senate-funding-bill

With the FAA extension dropped from the upcoming funding bill I started thinking about what will happen after the 30th. It's still possible that an extension is approved but there is always the possibility it won't.

I'm guessing it won't be a total shutdown of the FAA as that would be crippling. So what will be shutdown until additional funding is approved ?

Please keep this out of the spin zone....

This threat is happening every fiscal year end ...

I predict LOTS of talk, LOTS of "the sky is falling" chatter, fed employees sent home without pay, then an extension of the spending budget and all those fed workers get back pay and a free paid vacation....
:mad:

ps.... it will happen next year, and the year after that....:mad2::mad2::mad2:

THIS year, there is talk that the contractors won't get locked out, which is a change from every previous shutdown.

Every year, safety critical functions are excluded.

This means most of the stuff you're likely to come across is not going to be affected. Likely exceptions are nonemergency certificate actions such as new certificates, registration, and so on, and R&D. ATC is not likely to be affected significantly. Neither is safety enforcement.

Basically, the shutdowns waste a lot of money, disrupt ongoing projects, delay lots of stuff, and **** off everyone involved. No one affected looks at these as a free vacation. They are a complete pain in the ***.

THIS year, there is talk that the contractors won't get locked out, which is a change from every previous shutdown.

Every year, safety critical functions are excluded.

This means most of the stuff you're likely to come across is not going to be affected. Likely exceptions are nonemergency certificate actions such as new certificates, registration, and so on, and R&D. ATC is not likely to be affected significantly. Neither is safety enforcement.

Basically, the shutdowns waste a lot of money, disrupt ongoing projects, delay lots of stuff, and **** off everyone involved. No one affected looks at these as a free vacation. They are a complete pain in the ***.

No price is too great when it comes to politics.

Controllers will still vector. They won't get paid until the shutdown ends.

Anyone deemed "non-essential" will be indefinitely furloughed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Controllers will still vector. They won't get paid until the shutdown ends.

Anyone deemed "non-essential" will be indefinitely furloughed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feel bad for government employees who have to live by the whims of those ,ahem, people "serving" the taxpayers in DC.

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/254968-faa-extension-dropped-from-new-senate-funding-bill

With the FAA extension dropped from the upcoming funding bill I started thinking about what will happen after the 30th. It's still possible that an extension is approved but there is always the possibility it won't.

I'm guessing it won't be a total shutdown of the FAA as that would be crippling. So what will be shutdown until additional funding is approved ?

If they start providing abortions, their funding will be secured. :D

Feel bad for government employees who have to live by the whims of those ,ahem, people "serving" the taxpayers in DC.

I don't I picked my employer because of the stability. I turned down more money (a hem, a government gig for the DOD/VA) to avoid nonsense like this.

Yeah, though it's no guarantee. My kids work as contractors for NASA and NOAH and the last time we were in this mess the got furlough'd too (though in my daughter's case, they comped her back her leave that she took).

God forbid the government had to adhear to a reasonable budget like the rest of us.

When working for the government is more profitable than working for the private sector, it's not exactly a good sign.

My whole lab got sent home except me during the first one. No one stayed home (we scientists are a dedicated lot) but there was talk of the NIH locking them out (something about insurance). Then the whole thing got solved. Sorta.

Any private organization with $18T in outstanding debts would be forcibly closed and the assets liquidated. Closing a few non-essential offices for a month is a huge yawner compared to what should be done to get a sense of priorities restored.

Any private organization with $18T in outstanding debts would be forcibly closed and the assets liquidated. Closing a few non-essential offices for a month is a huge yawner compared to what should be done to get a sense of priorities restored.

:yes:

Yuuup

Any private organization with $18T in outstanding debts would be forcibly closed and the assets liquidated.

Hogwash. First off, the federal debt actually held by the public is only about $13T.

And, if a private organization that had $13T in debt also had over $3T in stable annual revenue, owned over 600 million acres of land, owned tens of trillions of dollars in fuel and mineral rights, and hadn't missed a debt payment in living memory, it would certainly not be closed or liquidated.

If you focus only on debts and not on assets or income-producing capacity, then every bank in the country should be liquidated today. Between them, Bank of America, J.P. Morgan Chase, and Citibank have almost $6T in debts (and gross revenue of only about $260B ). Should we liquidate all of them?

Looked at another way, the interest the federal government paid on its debt in the last fiscal year was about $431B. That's about 14% of its revenues for the year. If we have good credit, banks will happily loan you or me a mortgage as long as the fraction of our incomes we spend on all debt payments is less than 43%.

The federal government is not remotely insolvent, by the standards that apply to private businesses or households. That doesn't mean that the debt doesn't matter or that we shouldn't start paying it down--or at least reducing it as a fraction of GDP.

Hogwash. First off, the federal debt actually held by the public is only about $13T.

And, if a private organization that had $13T in debt also had over $3T in stable annual revenue, owned over 600 million acres of land, owned tens of trillions of dollars in fuel and mineral rights, and hadn't missed a debt payment in living memory, it would certainly not be closed or liquidated.

If you focus only on debts and not on assets or income-producing capacity, then every bank in the country should be liquidated today. Between them, Bank of America, J.P. Morgan Chase, and Citibank have almost $6T in debts (and gross revenue of only about $260B ). Should we liquidate all of them?

Looked at another way, the interest the federal government paid on its debt in the last fiscal year was about $431B. That's about 14% of its revenues for the year. If we have good credit, banks will happily loan you or me a mortgage as long as the fraction of our incomes we spend on all debt payments is less than 43%.

The federal government is not remotely insolvent, by the standards that apply to private businesses or households. That doesn't mean that the debt doesn't matter or that we shouldn't start paying it down--or at least reducing it as a fraction of GDP.

So....

Tell us about the tens of trillions in unfunded liabilities...:rolleyes:

getting past all the don't worry, be happy, um, stuff... an organization that year after year after year after year spends more more than it receives isn't exactly the epitome of proper financial management.

How many decades of red ink does an organization have to experience before it would be considered bad?

The fed doesn't have a penny of income, it doesn't "own" a single acre, and zero mineral rights. These belong to the people, it's "revenue" is TAKEN from others.

How many decades of red ink does an organization have to experience before it would be considered bad?

If you really want a number, discover when the Federal government started regulating the aviation industry. subtract that date from todays. It is a number higher than that.

The fed doesn't have a penny of income, it doesn't "own" a single acre, and zero mineral rights. These belong to the people, it's "revenue" is TAKEN from others.

Yep... Don't you wish it worked like that.

The problem with that is, The Debt is in the form of "T' bills. and the people hold the most of them in their retirement funds. Default on the "T" Bills default on the retirements funds.
Are you going to sell the public land to pay the public debt?

There is a better way.

The problem with that is, The Debt is in the form of "T' bills. and the people hold the most of them in their retirement funds. Default on the "T" Bills default on the retirements funds.

Are you going to sell the public land to pay the public debt?

There is a better way.

Reopen the Homestead Act? ;)

So.... tell us what happens when those Liabilities can't be paid?

They will do just what Greece did......

Remove funds from peoples bank accounts without saying a word and without notice..... Once they have the funds.... The public are siht out of luck...

Ps.. next liability shoved down the taxpayers throat will be during the next election cycle when the Dems forgive 2 trillion in student load debt... That should buy them 10-13 million votes...:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Last edited:
Reopen the Homestead Act? ;)

And eliminate the income tax, which has too few payers, and use a sales tax. which every one pays. 10 cents on the dollar of every purchase of goods or services. Bring every one into the tax system.

And eliminate the income tax, which has too few payers, and use a sales tax. which every one pays. 10 cents on the dollar of every purchase of goods or services. Bring every one into the tax system.

No emilinate income tax, don't increase any other taxes, and trim the lard off government to fit their new budget.

So we are agreed, "what happens" is basically nothing in the grand scheme of things?

Government workers who've seen this all before and should have a savings account prepped for it, since it happens regularly, will be inconvenienced for a few weeks.

So basically no one will really notice besides the people who work those jobs. Thanks for the replies, apologies on the late reply I've been studying for my first sim.

If you want to take it to one extreme you could just shutdown the entire GOV and say "Now look what your pathetic squabbling did". Maybe that would be enough of a swift kick in the posterior for them to make a decision.

So much for that request, Andrew.

And, boy, do I get sick of the spinzoners. It's impossible to have a reasoned discussion here. In less than two hours some spin zone ahole will interject something like:

If they start providing abortions, their funding will be secured.

And there goes the entire thread.

Sad really...shallow and sad.

So basically no one will really notice besides the people who work those jobs. Thanks for the replies, apologies on the late reply I've been studying for my first sim.

If you want to take it to one extreme you could just shutdown the entire GOV and say "Now look what your pathetic squabbling did". Maybe that would be enough of a swift kick in the posterior for them to make a decision.

I'd love to see a requirement of you "shut it down" you have to shut it all down. That'd keep them late and they'd have to do their jobs.

So much for that request, Andrew.

And, boy, do I get sick of the spinzoners. It's impossible to have a reasoned discussion here. In less than two hours some spin zone ahole will interject something like:

And there goes the entire thread.

Sad really...shallow and sad.

And I get sick of self appointed forum police. Ease up there Barn.

It was a joke, lighten up Francis. Thats what the shutdown is going to be about. As far as I can tell, we're not in the spin zone. It would not be hard to elevate this thread to a spin zone passing match if that were the desire.

And I get sick of self appointed forum police. Ease up there Barn.

It was a joke, lighten up Francis. Thats what the shutdown is going to be about. As far as I can tell, we're not in the spin zone. It would not be hard to elevate this thread to a spin zone passing match if that were the desire.

Football on the mind much? :)

Back