What happens to part 121 pilots after an accident?

n12365

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Does anyone know what happened to the pilots of the America Airlines flight 2253 that overran the runway at Jackson Hole airport last year? What is the normal procedure for a non-fatal, part 121, accident? Are the pilots fired, suspended, or forced to take a 709 ride?

Ryan

Usually any incident that can be tied into pilot error, the result is termination. That has been my experience in part 135/121.

Not to set off a union discussion but it probably depends if the airline has one or not.

What is the normal procedure for a non-fatal, part 121, accident? Are the pilots fired, suspended, or forced to take a 709 ride?

Ryan

Depends on many factors. 44709 checkrides are rare for 121 pilots.

Usually the pilot receives additional training, perhaps some unpaid time off from work and/or a letter of correction in his FAA file.

Again, there are many, many variables depending upon carrier.

Not to set off a union discussion but it probably depends if the airline has one or not.

Exactly....I know of many pt 121 pilots that were retained after pilot error related accidents/ incidents. But, they were all union.

It really depends on the circumstances surrounding the accident/incident and how bad it was.

Couple examples: The CAL crew back in the '90s that landed a DC-9 gear up in IAH, complete disregard for procedures and the CVR was pretty damning. They were fired.

The crew that landing on the parallel taxiway to 29 in EWR 5-6 years ago. They were not fired, even the FO who did the landing, who was still on probation and had no union protection.

I believe the FO at AA that went off the runway in LIT is still there (well, might have been furloughed and recalled, but still on the list).

Not sure what happened to the SWA pilots in MDW, but I'm almost positive they are still employed.

The answer to the OP is it depends on many factors including the circumstances and the attitude of the pilots as well as any representation they may or may not have.

We're forgetting:

Every pilot on the planet criticizes them to the n'th degree even if they haven't sat in a cockpit since the Kennedy administration.

Huge arguments start on every aviation board challenging their abilities and backgrounds.

Everyone comes to the conclusion that unlike the pilots in question; their reaction would have been razor sharp, perfectly executed, and put them on par with their rightful contemporaries (Bob Hoover and Chuck Yeager).

I just try to figure out what all went wrong so I can hopefully recognize it in time to break the accident chain.

We're forgetting:

Every pilot on the planet criticizes them to the n'th degree even if they haven't sat in a cockpit since the Kennedy administration.

Huge arguments start on every aviation board challenging their abilities and backgrounds.

Everyone comes to the conclusion that unlike the pilots in question; their reaction would have been razor sharp, perfectly executed, and put them on par with their rightful contemporaries (Bob Hoover and Chuck Yeager).

An accurate summary.

Funny thing is, the pilots with more experience seem to be the ones who realize that everyone makes mistakes, including them.

We're forgetting:

Hang on a tic - if every pilot criticizes them, how can there be any huge arguments? Wouldn't universal peace and tranquility reign as all the pilots agreed?

(And I'll have you know I've flown as recently as the Obama administration.)

Not sure what happened to the SWA pilots in MDW, but I'm almost positive they are still employed.
Which SWA MDW overrun? There have been two.

If you are talking about the one that killed the little kid, that Captain was less than a year from mandatory retirement when it happened, so I highly doubt he is still flying for SWA.

At the one I was at its normally a retraining event after a bunch of boot up your arse meetings and about two weeks of sleepless nights. Then a week or two off until scheduling gets you back onto the line. More paid time off if the morons in scheduling forget about you.

The good thing about extensive experience is it allows us to recognize our mistakes when me make them again.

For a non-fatal, part 121, accident? (see OP) :dunno:

Do they eventually get dug up and released??:rolleyes:
Oops. Missed that. Kinda like the question I used to ask my aviation law class about all the conventions regarding international aviation accidents involving the various involved nations for the accident location, passengers, airline's nationality, airline's place of business, location of transaction, aircraft registration, aircraft certification, etc., and then I asked, "So where do they bury the survivors?" Got 'em every time.

If a plane crashes right on a state border, in which state do they bury the survivors?

Worst crash in aviation history involved a C152. Shortly before landing, it crashed into a cemetery just a 1/2 short of the runway. Rescuers found over 300 bodies.

Bob

Worst crash in aviation history involved a C152. Shortly before landing, it crashed into a cemetery just a 1/2 short of the runway. Rescuers found over 300 bodies.
I keep hearing that story, but it's never consistent. Sometimes it's in Poland, sometimes at Texas A&M, sometimes the investigator was blonde...

Back