What happened? Where did everyone go?

The thing I see in my neck of the woods is that pilots/owners are at each other throats. Calling the city on each other, running their aircraft for a business and not having he proper permits, certs or licenses to do so. I am an A&P that has started training for my PPL and trying my hardest to find some one to trade MX for flight time using my own CFII. Most of them will not even acknowledge my emails and phone messages and the 2% that have don't want to put any hours on the aircraft because they are afraid that something will brake and add to there MX cost on top of the annual. There are two aircraft that haven't flown in 4 or 5 years but are current with the annuals. Other are just sitting rotting away. I have offered to get them current and fly them but no one wants that deal. Unfortunately from where I sit it seems that GA is becoming more and more unfriendly and keeping the younger folks from joining. Again this is all I have experienced in the last few years. I have been begging for some one to prove me wrong in the NE Ohio area.

I'm on the other side of the spectrum, I have all the ratings listed below and a few thousand hours in the logbook but I'm not letting my 8+ years as a Crew Chief go to waste so I want to knock out my A&P for most of the reasons you listed above. There's a level of backstabbing going on in General Aviation that I've witnessed over the years. Which irritates the pooh out of me!!! :yikes: When I was actively CFI'ing, I'd lounge in the FBO when I didn't have a student waiting for someone to walk in, or gab with fellow pilots working on their ratings or aircraft, etc. I was amazed by the banter and backstabbing going on on the air field. Seriously? There's also a lack of mentor-ship I've noticed.. why?

I was landing in Marathon in the Keys a couple years ago, and this guy who speaks English as a second language flying in from Jacksonville, FL, in his 172 with his buddies enters the wrong side of the pattern then begins a base for the wrong runway, does a 180 degree turn while everyone and their mother was fussing at him on CTAF. I was turning off the runway when I heard this on the radio, "you can't have two airplanes on the runway at the same time!" in an irritated tone. I was thinking to myself, "please Lord tell me he didn't land behind me while I was rolling out." Sure enough, I make the turn off and he's 200 feet behind me and follows me into park. Here's a question for you ALL, what would you do in this situation? Answer then I'll tell you what I did.

I'm on the other side of the spectrum, I have all the ratings listed below and a few thousand hours in the logbook but I'm not letting my 8+ years as a Crew Chief go to waste so I want to knock out my A&P for most of the reasons you listed above. There's a level of backstabbing going on in General Aviation that I've witnessed over the years. Which irritates the pooh out of me!!! :yikes: When I was actively CFI'ing, I'd lounge in the FBO when I didn't have a student waiting for someone to walk in, or gab with fellow pilots working on their ratings or aircraft, etc. I was amazed by the banter and backstabbing going on on the air field. Seriously? There's also a lack of mentor-ship I've noticed.. why?

I was landing in Marathon in the Keys a couple years ago, and this guy who speaks English as a second language flying in from Jacksonville, FL, in his 172 with his buddies enters the wrong side of the pattern then begins a base for the wrong runway, does a 180 degree turn while everyone and their mother was fussing at him on CTAF. I was turning off the runway when I heard this on the radio, "you can't have two airplanes on the runway at the same time!" in an irritated tone. I was thinking to myself, "please Lord tell me he didn't land behind me while I was rolling out." Sure enough, I make the turn off and he's 200 feet behind me and follows me into park. Here's a question for you ALL, what would you do in this situation? Answer then I'll tell you what I did.

A good read for everyone once in awhile...note "recommended". Not aimed towards you 60 guy.

http://www1.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/74c9017c9457e4ab862569d800780551/$FILE/AC90-66A.pdf

or this one...

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC90-66A.pdf

I would think back to the mistakes that I have made and understand that we are not perfect. I might ask him to let me know next time so that I can extend my touchdown or take the last turn off. No bent metal and I bet he learned something from that experience. Chat, shake his hand and then top my plane off.

I touched down at a controlled field at night closer than 3000' to a slower aircraft touching down in front of me. I had my speed under control, landed on the numbers, felt safe and tower must have seen that too, because I did not receive the go around instruction.

Last edited:
I still do not see why the FAA makes the avionics so g**d****** expensive. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I can buy the exact same equipment for a non-certified aircraft for a fraction of the cost. As a result, my co-owners and I fly around with 1970s vintage avionics.

The FAA doesn't make it more expensive, the litigious society we live in do. Stop and think, why do we need certified airplanes? What does it mean to be certified? Why is certification important?

It comes down to what happens after the crash and there will always be crashes. History has shown that much of the time there will be a law suit. The law suit will require someone to be at fault and someone to pay. Whoever built the airplane now comes into question, even though we know from the NTSB files that pilot error is to blame for more than 80% of all fatal crashes, still, the possibility of aircraft malfunction has to be considered and if there is any money behind that manufacture, then it will be considered first.

Airplane factories in an attempt to shield themselves from every law suit and the government in an attempt to ensure the public that the skies won't be raining metal junk, have come up with the type conformity and certification standards. This provides legal standing that every airplane that leaves the factory meets the FAA standards and that they are all uniform in quality and construction.

When you modify the airplane with new avionics, the airplane has to be "re-certified" in a sense to maintain the legal protection and satisfy the FAA that you're not becoming a hazard. This is what the STC is and why the parts used in the STC must be TSOed and the manufacturer of the parts must have PMA. It's avenue to update the plane, but maintain the "certification" status.

Homebuilts are just that. Built by some guy in his, or her garage. Usually, not a lot of deep pockets there to go after. The FAA gives the project a once over just to confirm that it will fly and it's not likely to break up in flight and rain debris. Because the airplane isn't certified, the owner can put into it what ever they want. The parts can be made in a Chinese sweat shop, it doesn't matter.

This is why I have been saying that the current talk about a new certification status for certified planes that would allow owner maintenance and possibly the use of non certified parts doesn't go far enough. What we really need is a E/FB status. The certified, factory built airplane must become an "experimental" complete with required placarding. This is the only way in my mind to free the original factories from liability and allow owners such as yourself, to enjoy the freedoms that kit builders do.

Why the E/FB category is not being pursued, is beyond me. What they are talking about now seems very half way and not sufficient too me.

I'd have politely explained to him what had been done wrong and why. Unless he was unpleasant then just ignore him and let the others have a go at him!
Glad to hear canard brethren treated you well. Most of us really enjoy answering questions and explaining the history of Burt and those that followed. We'll even clarify the Denver question for the umpteenth time...:rolleyes:
I rarely even get a wave from certified aircraft and get blown around on the ramp by their propwash with no apologies. Builders, home built buyers and particularly the antique folks are mostly terrific.
Ditto on the ridiculous costs at Osh and SnF. To sleep under your plane shouldn't cost any more than a normal tie down fee. A small charge for showers is perfectly reasonable too. Then there's the $4 water....:eek:

I've never been to Oshkosh, SnF, or Arlington. (Dispite having lived in North Chicago, Orlando, and Arlington!)

I have been to the South East Regional Fly In (SERFI). I went in 2011. It was inexpensive with free parking and admission since I flew, IIRC. If there was a fee, it was not enough for me to even remember! My son & I camped next to the plane. Food was inexpensive and everyone was friendly! Fuel was not over priced. Heck, there was even a guy with a table set up to do Static & transponder certs for $200. He had a stack of cards and his cell number. He was out enjoying the show, but would come and do your plane if you called!

http://www.serfi.org/

I think I'll keep skipping the big shows!

Jim

Well this is what I did: I told my student to go ahead and perform a thru-flight inspection while I was going to "go over there and talk with those guys really quick." I approached their aircraft and waved and greeted them with a hello, how are you guys, where are you guys from.. Then I asked who the pilot was then asked if I could speak with him in private about some pilot stuff. Once I got him away from his passengers and was out of earshot from others I introduced myself and told him I didn't work for the FAA or anything and he wasn't in trouble but I was a concerned instructor for what just happened. I had him walk me through his pattern entry and landing, etc. so I wasn't missing anything. That's when I started leaning Into him a little and telling him that his actions could be considered reckless and the runway incursion intolerable by the FAA. All in a tactful manner. He appreciated my concern and wasn't defensive at all yet he was shaken that I was confronting him (studdering and trembling voice and other cues) and assured me he would take more time in the future to maintain more separation, follow the guidelines of the pattern, and not land on the runway with another aircraft. I talked to him for about 5 more minutes then shook hands and parted ways. Then I went back to my student and flew back to X51. I don't know where he is today, but it hope he's grown.

Not into boats, but this is what Karen and I just got (tow vehicle and trailer):

It even fit in our hangar!

13559417325_aecf3cafd8.jpg

Headed to an AirStream rally at the fairgrounds in Hiawassee, GA this weekend if anyone cares to stop by!

your plane looks like a blast to fly. you gotta take me up some time.

I'm just about to start an RV7, while also looking to purchase something certified to fly in the meantime with a partner. I wanted metal, and RV7 was the only real option, I guess except for something like a Mustang II. The support community makes the RV that much more appealing.

I built models as a kid. Like working on my cars, motorcycles, whatever. I'm 32. Most people my age don't do anything interesting, forget about those younger than me. My possible plane partner is a good 20 years older. He too is into motorcycles, wood working, hunting, etc. Fellow pilots all seem to be into the same things, there are just fewer and fewer of us around, especially coming up the ranks. The generations with a high percentage of these types are aging out of their medicals.

Find a friend or two and encourage them to take lessons. That is the only way.

If I was at all gifted at building, like many are, (and some seem to be better than factory new,) I'd be working on a rans S7. To buy a nice one they are pretty expensive for go get a hamburger plane but so very nice as is the S6!

Dan, what's sad is... I'm always the youngest guy at these sorts of things (28). My generation simply doesn't care. They will get on man American Airlines 767 and fly from coast to coast wearing flip flops and pajama pants. They have no respect. The fact that they just flew from one end of the country to the other yet complain about xyz things about the flight boggles me. There's just a lack of enthusiasm and passion for flight. What a shame. I'm teaching my son, he's four, as much as I can about our world of aviation. Because our culture as pilots is filled with achieves, doers, men and women of accomplishment, and people who strive to do what they love. Just as my father did for me.

Our airport in Hampton roads virginia had very regular fly ins with cheap hot dogs, aircraft displays, and free admission to all. The airfield would be jammed packed on a Saturday when they had that. To even fathom the idea of that now would be considered crazy. Now it's a $15 tie down fee and here's the code to get through the gate.. What a shame.

Nowadays achievement makes you suspect and and target for politicians wanting what you "didn't build" to give to others in a quest for more control over your life.

A parachute repack for the same plane is now about $14,000.

How much labor at say $85/hr does that represent?

How much of that funds the product liability insurance and how much is just "what the market will bear"?

Back