What happened to the Flight Service Freqs?

Kynadog

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kynadog
I just noticed while looking at new sectional chart (I know, I know--no one uses paper anymore) that many of the VORs that used to list the Flight Service frequencies just above the blue box no longer list them. Is this a recent change? There are still some that do, but many more that don't. Is this a recent change? How are you supposed to call FSS? Just call on 122.2 regardless?

Thank you. It’s interesting to see the changes technology has wrought. That document mentions they went from handling 10,000 calls per day to about 1,000. Amazing, really.

Thanks again.

Thank you. It’s interesting to see the changes technology has wrought. That document mentions they went from handling 10,000 calls per day to about 1,000. Amazing, really.

Thanks again.

I think the reduction is largely due to the widespread use of XM or ADS-B weather information in the aircraft. Back in the day, the only way to get weather updates in flight was to call someone. Now you can see it first hand while in the air. I also believe that filing and using VFR flight plans is falling out of favor as well. The only times I ever call FSS from the air in the past was to open flight plans, but I haven't done that in over a decade. Only time I've talked to FSS from the airplane in the last 5 years was to file a new IFR flightplan.

Back