What happened to Navmonster?

Pa28-140

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gordon Shumway
Anybody know what happened to the Navmonster website? I use it a lot and it has been offline for the last two days. Dear Lord, please don't tell me I'm actually going to have to work to plan a flight! :yikes:

I dropped Marc Alexander who owns/runs the site and he said he was having some problems with the web host provider exacerbated by holiday reduced staff. He hopes that the site will be back up some time today. Whew! :goofy:

Dunno. The domain registration has not changed hands, and it is registered to Frank Leff, who is a pilot in Cedar Park, TX. Maybe he did not pay his hosting bill, or maybe he got tired of feeding it; who know?

You could email him at fleff1 (at) Austin.rr.com

good to hear some of ya'll enjoying the Navmonster site, it is hosted by a guy in Cedar Park TX as mentioned previously, a neighbor to my uncle. Nice flying neighborhood in the outskirts of Austin, houses with hangers in the back yard--where I fell in love with flying. 40 hours of stick time in a bonanza before you're 17 will have that effect on most kids.

I got an email that said the site was back up.....and it is. Problems with the web host. Whew !!

good to hear some of ya'll enjoying the Navmonster site, it is hosted by a guy in Cedar Park TX as mentioned previously, a neighbor to my uncle. Nice flying neighborhood in the outskirts of Austin, houses with hangers in the back yard--where I fell in love with flying. 40 hours of stick time in a bonanza before you're 17 will have that effect on most kids.

David:

1. Welcome to PoA - stick around and tell us all about yourself;

2. Tell your friend that NavMonster is a great resource!

Spike (who flew his Bonanza to T82 yesterday).

Well, it looks like they've gone offline for good this time around. It's too bad. It was probably my favorite preflight site.

2012-04-22 Update: After long and drawn out negotiations, our hosting company booted us for consuming too many CPU cycles. NavMonster performs a serious amount of trigonometry to calculate all the airports/weather/TPPs/AFDs/TFRs/PIREPs/NOTAMs/etc along the great circle route. Moving this massive infrastructure to another server is a time consuming process. Thanks for all the encouragement and support, please stay tuned.

2012-05-22 Update: After a month of consideration and deliberation, it has been decided that NavMonster will remain offline. Moving the code to another server was only the first hurdle (albeit an easy one) to overcome. Faced with the upcoming AeroNav fees, and the uncertainty from last year's lawsuit shenanigans (that issue was never resolved and is still looming over our heads), it's just not feasible to continue.

My sincerest apologies for not returning each query and offer personally, but selling NavMonster or placing it in the public domain is just not possible. But thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement.

Safe flying. Respectfully, Marc.

Well, it looks like they've gone offline for good this time around. It's too bad. It was probably my favorite preflight site.

I hate the ChartCase people with an even bigger passion now. They started this.

Navmonster -- the original version with the line drawn on the map -- was concise, worked well, and whoever set it up deserves many thank-yous from me.

Flightprep can suck it.

Feel free to quote me on that.

I hate the ChartCase people with an even bigger passion now. They started this.

Navmonster -- the original version with the line drawn on the map -- was concise, worked well, and whoever set it up deserves many thank-yous from me.

Flightprep can suck it.

Feel free to quote me on that.

Done...

Back