What happened before I bought it?

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
I recently bought 3 Taylorcraft projects. One, a complete airplane, minus prop, and wing struts, disassembled. The others just a collection of parts, a fuselage frame, and logs and data plates.
The one that is mostly complete is pretty well damaged. Left wing both spars broken, leading edge, and several ribs damaged, lift struts damaged beyond repair, empennage damaged, requiring a couple of longerons to be replaced. Landing gear doesn't match. Been sitting since 2013.
I had an idea of what may have happened to it, just looking at it. Well, curiosity got the better of me, and I searched the NTSB database. My suspicions were confirmed; "Left landing gear folded".
leading to an off runway excursion.

I recently bought 3 Taylorcraft projects. One, a complete airplane, minus prop, and wing struts, disassembled. The others just a collection of parts, a fuselage frame, and logs and data plates.
The one that is mostly complete is pretty well damaged. Left wing both spars broken, leading edge, and several ribs damaged, lift struts damaged beyond repair, empennage damaged, requiring a couple of longerons to be replaced. Landing gear doesn't match. Been sitting since 2013.
I had an idea of what may have happened to it, just looking at it. Well, curiosity got the better of me, and I searched the NTSB database. My suspicions were confirmed; "Left landing gear folded".
Danger will Robinson.

never go looking into the history prior to your turn.

Where did you pick this project up? Didn't happen to be in Texas, did it? I have a sneaking suspicion I know a thing about this.

Back