What Flying Sub Should I Buy?

GRG55

Final Approach
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Aztec Flyer
Well, you just knew we would eventually get to this point.

So, is there only the one choice? Or are there some others out there we have never heard of that were developed?
Anybody got experience with single engine flying subs versus multi-engine versions?
Is there such a thing as Vmc for a twin engine flying sub when immersed?
Do you need an IFR ticket to fly one of these below surface, or is a VFR PPL good enough?
Do I have to buy the Seaview for the hangar space, or would an underwater rental T-hangar be sufficient?
Does Cirrus make a version where pulling the red handle inflates a balloon to float you to surface instead of a parachute?

moebius-voyage-to-the-bottom-of-the-sea-flying-sub.jpg

Last edited:
You had me for a sec. IF there were such a contraption, you could not get me in it with your entire posse. The nearby Gulf of Mexico goes to a mile and half deep not too far out. I assume that in the event of a power failure, it would have passable "gliding" characteristics. I deem the amount of jetisable ballast needed would adversely effect its performance.

You had me for a sec. IF there were such a contraption, you could not get me in it with your entire posse. The nearby Gulf of Mexico goes to a mile and half deep not too far out. I assume that in the event of a power failure, it would have passable "gliding" characteristics. I deem the amount of jetisable ballast needed would adversely effect its performance.

There indeed was such a contraption. :eek:

Apparently only us grey hairs remember the 1960s sci-fi movie and subsequent television show...the youngsters are maybe, um, Lost in Space? :D

Don't forget the Batplane/submarine combo.

From the original comic strip:
upload_2020-7-18_9-36-34.png

And later, Batman Forever:

Gratuitous Catwoman & Batgirl photos.

517HKI7B1NL._AC_.jpg
1439990597-gettyimages-103658736.jpg

I was waiting for the Sky/Diver! Well done, flyingron.

Back