What ELT do you use?

What band ELT are you using in your aircraft?

• 121.5MHz

Votes: 64 83.1%
  • 406MHz

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
So how many of you aircraft owners, that are required to have ELTs, have updated to the newer, but not FAA required, 406MHz ELT?

Last edited:
You forgot some other options.

None.
PLB
Spot

Of course you are limited if you are required to have an ELT.

Our Scout Towplane will have the old 121.5 as long as we can get away with it. It seldom travels more than 5 miles from the airport so upgrading it is not a high priority.

For the sailplane I have been flying for 10 years without one. I have been eyeing them for the past 3 or 4 years but was really waiting for a PLB or 406 ELT to come down in price. Or for my budget to come up to where I could afford one. Last week I purchased a Spot deciding that it gave me the most features per dollar.

Brian

I installed the Artex ME406 ELT in the Malibu but I will probably install the ACK 406MHz unit in the 172 when I get time. It's a lot cheaper.

Kevin

I have none, but am strongly considering buying a SPOT this week

All four of the planes I fly have 121.5 MHz ELTs. I want to put a 406 MHz ELT in the Aztec. If it has the ACK in it already (I honestly don't know, and will find out when we put it through annual soon) I will just buy the ACK unit once it's available, and put that in. For this annual, though, I will probably just throw new batteries in if they're required and keep flying.

The owners/managers of the other planes I fly have no immediate intentions to put a 406 in, mainly as a cost issue.

Me 4 ( or 5 ). My partnership is waiting on the new units from Ack or Skyhunter that should have the GPS interface or GPS builtin and under 800 or so. I can't see putting in a 406 without GPS and we don't want to spend 2 or 3 k for it as is the case now.

Club's still got 121.5 all the way around, but within the next year or two we'll be replacing all of them with 406's, if the cost comes down as expected.

I still have a 121.5/243 MHz ELT in both planes. I also carry a 406 MHz PLB in the Baron. When Ack finally get's their new ELT approved I will install one in the Baron, I haven't really thought about what if anything I should do for the Porterfield but given the few hours I fly it each year coupled with the 30 mph stall speed I think I may just leave that alone.

I'm waiting for the Ack E-04 because I believe that it's GPS interface is a much more significant safety enhancement than the 406 MHz TSO itself.

I still have a 121.5/243 MHz ELT in both planes. I also carry a 406 MHz PLB in the Baron. When Ack finally get's their new ELT approved I will install one in the Baron, I haven't really thought about what if anything I should do for the Porterfield but given the few hours I fly it each year coupled with the 30 mph stall speed I think I may just leave that alone.

Stick the 406 PLB in the Porterfield when you get the 406 ELT in the Baron, and you'll be what I would consider well equipped. :yes:

Stick the 406 PLB in the Porterfield when you get the 406 ELT in the Baron, and you'll be what I would consider well equipped. :yes:

That's a thought. OTOH, I might want to keep the PLB in the Baron for the possibility that the airplane burns or sinks. I suppose I could share it between the two since it's very rare that both are out at the same time.

A 121.5 ELT still sits in the back of my aircraft, so it can generate false alarms and break on impact.

My club will be putting Artex ME406s in two of the planes in the near future and doing the third next year with the same.

Hey I meant to post this earlier....with the new 406 elt, how will the A+P do the annual test if we have no way to 'listen out' like we did with 121.5? (do they even produce an audible tone?) Or did anyone with the bright idea even consider this problem?? How do we know if it has accidentally activated, we used to be able to monitor. Does it have a flashing light or something??

I just put a new battery in my 121. ELT. Had there been a reasonably priced 406 version I would have had it installed. But I am sticking with 121.5 for at least another two years.

We're in the exact same position.

Hey I meant to post this earlier....with the new 406 elt, how will the A+P do the annual test if we have no way to 'listen out' like we did with 121.5? (do they even produce an audible tone?) Or did anyone with the bright idea even consider this problem?? How do we know if it has accidentally activated, we used to be able to monitor. Does it have a flashing light or something??

I think the 406's still broadcast on 121.5 and 243.0 just like the old ones did. That doesn't guarantee that they're properly broadcasting on 406, but... :dunno:

I have not recently put time into researching the best unit now available.
Is this model below the newer, better Fx or something inferior?
It was less than $1000.00.
I've presently got this one and will combine it with SPOT continuous tracking when over hostile terrain:
11-02790.jpg
The AK-450 ELT from Ameri-King is FAA TSO-C91a approved and meets FCC rule for improved satellite detection. It features voice transmitting capability, visual "on" lights for both ELT main unit and remote panel, and uses standard Duracell batteries (included). Includes low drag aircraft antenna, portable antenna, remote control panel, wiring and coaxial cable assembly, handheld lanyard web, mounting tray and clamp.
ATTENTION: 2009, the international COSPAS-SARSAT satellite system will no longer provide satellite-based monitoring of the 121.5/243 MHz frequency. After the date of the satellite termination, in 2009, 121.5 MHz signals transmitted from ELTs operating on the lower frequency will only be detected by ground-based receivers such as local airport facilities or air traffic control facilities or by overflying aircraft

Last edited:
Dave that is not the newest technology, and will not be detected by the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite system.

Ameri-king appears to make a couple of different newer 406mhz models that might be slide-in replacements for it.

Last edited:
Dave that is not the newest technology, and will not be detected by the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite system.

Ameri-king appears to make a couple of different newer 406mhz models that might be slide-in replacements for it.

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll check in to it further.

AK-450 ELT from Ameri-King is FAA TSO-C91a approved and meets FCC rule for improved satellite detection.

TSO C-91A is for 121.5/243.0 MHz ELTs. If you spend anything, spend it on a C-126 ELT, which is the new 406 MHz requirement. The 121.5 satellites have been shut down. Dealers trying to sell C-91A ELTs should be giving them away.

Dan

So how many of you aircraft owners have updated to the newer, but not FAA required, 406MHz ELT?

You should have had another option in the poll. None carried.
We do not carry an ELT in the Pawnee. Not required per CFR. Rarely more than 2-3 miles from the airport doing glider tows all day. People start looking for you if you are not back in 10 minutes or less. Don't fly after dark.
Yes we do occasionaly ferry to another airport for maintainence in a high population area.
Any longer distances and it is recommended to carry a PLB.

I think the 406's still broadcast on 121.5 and 243.0 just like the old ones did. That doesn't guarantee that they're properly broadcasting on 406, but... :dunno:
Yes, they do. Which is good, because (most?) CAP planes don't have any eqoipment to pick up 406MHz.

Even better, keep the 406 PLB on your survival vest that you wear no matter WHICH plane you're in!

Yes, they do. Which is good, because (most?) CAP planes don't have any eqoipment to pick up 406MHz.

Even better, keep the 406 PLB on your survival vest that you wear no matter WHICH plane you're in!

The USCG Helos are mostly converted over to monitoring the 406MHZ ELTs and EPIRBS now. The fixed wing active and aux assets are still going through upgrades.

The USCG Helos are mostly converted over to monitoring the 406MHZ ELTs and EPIRBS now. The fixed wing active and aux assets are still going through upgrades.

I'm not sure how well that would work since the 406 MHz transmission is a very short burst with lots of dead time between bursts. The peak power is high but the average power is much lower than the 121.5 MHz signal and the infrequent nature of the 406 transmission could be problematic for direction finding. I wonder if the 406 MHz capability on the USCG Helos is just for identification purposes and/or providing the transmitted GPS location to the search crew rather than direct tracking?

Even the handheld PLBs transmit a 121.5 MHz for tracking.

Last edited:
What's better, a 121.5 ELT with a 406 PLB or the 121.5 ELT with a SPOT on automatic tracking on ones person?
Yes.

In other words, in what circumstances and to what end?

We had a [thread=24139]thread on the differences between a 406PLB and a SPOT[/thread] a while back.

Yes.

In other words, in what circumstances and to what end?

We had a [thread=24139]thread on the differences between a 406PLB and a SPOT[/thread] a while back.

Thanks for the LINK, I had not seen the latter posts in that thread.
I was thinking for pilot use, but not in the high latitudes. Up there, I think I'd take one or two of everything available if I was flying alone.

I like the continuous tracking feature of the SPOT. I have reliable people that will co-ordinate my position with traditional SAR or even private rescue chopper if need be.

Me 4 ( or 5 ). My partnership is waiting on the new units from Ack or Skyhunter that should have the GPS interface or GPS builtin and under 800 or so. I can't see putting in a 406 without GPS and we don't want to spend 2 or 3 k for it as is the case now.

Couldn't agree more! ELT w/ built-in GPS makes perfect sense! Providing it's at a realistic price point and won't cost another Grand to install. Heading to SNF so I'll have an opportunity to see what's new.

The ACK unit has three batteries, one fin the switch, one in the alarm and one fin the ELT. If the ELT battery is a good one, why do they need three batteries?

I'm not sure how well that would work since the 406 MHz transmission is a very short burst with lots of dead time between bursts. The peak power is high but the average power is much lower than the 121.5 MHz signal and the infrequent nature of the 406 transmission could be problematic for direction finding. I wonder if the 406 MHz capability on the USCG Helos is just for identification purposes and/or providing the transmitted GPS location to the search crew rather than direct tracking?

I wondered the same thing in a different thread a while ago. Someone posted references out of the manual for the Becker DF unit that indicated that it can track the 406 signal. 'infrequent' with the 406 is 'every couple of seconds'. A digital DF system will just lock between the fixes, it apparently doesn't need a continuous broadcast.

I wondered the same thing in a different thread a while ago. Someone posted references out of the manual for the Becker DF unit that indicated that it can track the 406 signal. 'infrequent' with the 406 is 'every couple of seconds'.
According to the spec's I read, 406MHz ELTs transmit one bust at turn-on and repeat it every 50 seconds not every couple seconds.

Back