What Else ?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Your forced to over haul your engine. What else will you do during that period?
For example,
Will you have your exhaust re-worked too?
Up grade accessories?

Well, I’m like 200sfrm, so I’d be ****ed, but I’d probably do the PPonk 470-50 upgrade.

For example,
Up grade accessories?
Not enough information to answer. Why was one "forced" to overhaul the engine? Depending on the cause, one may need to repair or replace the firewall. Maybe a new propeller is needed.

Generally, an overhaul is a good time to have the baffling checked, exhaust too, evaluate accessories. What do you mean by accessories? Alternator/generator and vacuum pump come to my mind.

For example,
Up grade accessories?
I don't defer maintenance on any of it so I'd probably just do the engine. My props are freshly over-hauled in the past year. One of my alternators is brand new. I just did the 500 hour on my mags. 2 of my 4 exhaust stacks were just replaced during the annual last month and the other 2 are fine. My vacuum pumps are fairly low time. I'm about to re-do all the baffles in the next couple of months. My fuel manifolds (spiders) are very recent with one freshly O'H'ed in the last year.

Firewall forward.... O/H everything like engine cage/mount, hoses, engine accessories, prop governor. Wonky looking wiring. Polish and clean firewall.

I don't defer maintenance on any of it so I'd probably just do the engine. My props are freshly over-hauled in the past year. One of my alternators is brand new. I just did the 500 hour on my mags. 2 of my 4 exhaust stacks were just replaced during the annual last month and the other 2 are fine. My vacuum pumps are fairly low time. I'm about to re-do all the baffles in the next couple of months. My fuel manifolds (spiders) are very recent with one freshly O'H'ed in the last year.

I don't put things off much beyond a month or so if it meshes better with something to else I'm planning on doing anyways.

That said, if I was doing a overhaul I'd probably look at anything that made sense to add on, example instead of overhauling my io520 I might convert it to a 550, just like if a landing light went out I'd probably swap it for a LED, or if I needed to replace a tube I'd also probably clean and repack the bearing and inspect the tire.

Your forced to over haul your engine.
If a person was "forced"... I doubt they had any extra money saved up to upgrade anything at that particular time.

If a person was "forced"... I doubt they had any extra money saved up to upgrade anything at that particular time.
We get forced into this for a number of reasons, maybe it is simply run out, and the owner is ready to overhaul. (dollar wise)

I'd remind ya, when a metal generating failure occurs the props gets contaminated too. No matter how old they are they need to be disassembled cleaned and inspected too.

I don't defer maintenance on any of it

I don't either but when my engine started making metal a couple of years ago and was overhauled, almost everything firewall forward was either overhauled or IRANed. My thoughts were, the labor is already paid for to R&R so might as well.

I even installed a new throttle and mixture cables.

But I forgot about the tach cable. Guess what? I replaced it less than 4 months later.

I didn't touch the alternator either. It was working fine...

A year later I replaced it.

Last edited:
I don't either but when my engine started making metal a couple of years ago and was overhauled, everything firewall forward was either overhauled or IRANed. My thoughts were, the labor is already paid for to R&R so might as well.

I even installed a new throttle and moisture cables.

But I forgot about the tach cable. Guess what? I replaced it less than 4 months later.

I didn't touch the alternator either. A year later I replaced it.

...moisture cables...

Doncha just love "smart" technology. :rolleyes:

For example,
Up grade accessories?

Only what needs replacing, clean or paint everything to make it purdy.

the owner is ready to overhaul. (dollar wise)
Out of curiosity, what's the cost difference now between a store bought/shop overhaul and a field overhaul (provided you had a good core, machine work contacts, etc.) on a popular engine model?

Out of curiosity, what's the cost difference now between a store bought/shop overhaul and a field overhaul (provided you had a good core, machine work contacts, etc.) on a popular engine model?
You can now price it all out on Aircraft Specialities home page.
Machine work is about $1700-- (0300)
Case lap and line bore $750.-- (6 cylinder)
new parts are by OEM part number

You do realize all overhauls that were not done by the manufacturer, are "Field overhauls"

You do realize all overhauls that were not done by the manufacturer, are "Field overhauls"
Close enough. I was referring to O/Hs an independent AP/IA would do. I quit major engine work years ago and was wondering if the margins were still there as I don't see many independents offering the O/H service anymore---on a large scale that is.

Close enough. I was referring to O/Hs an independent AP/IA would do. I quit major engine work years ago and was wondering if the margins were still there as I don't see many independents offering the O/H service anymore---on a large scale that is.
How can a single A&P be considered large scale? Most don't want the liability.
I do them, I charge a flat fee for my services, every thing else is on the owner's CC.

I'd remind ya, when a metal generating failure occurs the props gets contaminated too. No matter how old they are they need to be disassembled cleaned and inspected too.

And the oil cooler and hoses.

We get forced into this for a number of reasons, maybe it is simply run out, and the owner is ready to overhaul. (dollar wise)

Who is "We"? I know I don't get forced into anything as a maintainer. If an owner has an engine failure or doesn't plan ahead, not really my problem either way. I just inspect and make recommendations and do the best I can given the circumstances.

An owner being "forced" to maintain his/her aircraft to safe standards, not my cup of tea.

with my recent purchase of a new O-470, these are some of the bigger ticket items we addressed:
1) new exhaust stacks. The point where the old ones met the exhaust was loose and leaving exhaust deposits on that side of the engine.
2) clean, inspect, and re-paint motor mount.
3) replaced a few worn hoses and throttle cable and control knob.
4) new engine baffling.
5) Replaced the O-rings/gaskets in the upper portion of my main landing gear since that is only accessible when the lower cowling is off
6) New engine pre-heater. The small pad type that glues to the bottom of the sump.
7) new cylinder probes for the engine monitor
8) flushed the prop. It is a newer prop so no overhaul needed. My mechanic was adamant about getting the prop flushed for fear of contaminating the new engine.

For example,
Up grade accessories?

Prop overhaul or servicing, engine mount checked, overhauled.
Upgrade 1960s generator to modern alternator.
ADSB upgrade.

I’m doing it right now. All my accessories were long in the tooth, so I’m doing it all.

Mags
carb
prop hub
prop governor All overhauled

new oil cooler
new fuel pump
New engine cables
adding a filter adapter
generator to alternator conversion
installing an engine monitor

.... probably missed something. About the only thing that didn’t need love was the exhaust.

Back