What else you guys got?

Riv-Rod

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Riv-Rod
Well i read on here or rather another thread but anyways, i heard the suggestion of Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck. I love cubs and im 17 so i thought this book would be interesting although i think it would be for anyone who loves aviation. I love that book so far atleast, i got it saturday and im almost done, i just cant put it down. So anything out there thats similar? Ive been looking for a copy of Around the World in Eight days by Wiley Post but apparently its not a regular stock item and most searches turn up Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne. Any help would be greatly appreciated, i think i may read Lindberghs book next but not sure. Thanks!

A few of good suggestions would be:

"Fate is the Hunter" by ernest K. Gann
"Wind Sand and Stars" by Antoine St. Exuperay

Nothing By Chance by Richard Bach... about trying to recapture the barnstorming life in the 60s. See also Biplane by the same author... another coast-to-coast odyssey.

I'd recommend anything by him... A Gift of Wings is a good intro to his work; it's a collection of short stories about flying.

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of at least one of those books.
Another good "long XC in an old plane" book is The Cannibal Queen by Stephen Koontz... that's one I've read but do not own.

Can't help you with the Wiley Post book, but I do have a book about his final flight (Death at Barrow).

Forever Flying by Bob Hoover

Always Another Dawn by Scott Crossfield. Out of print, but worth tracking down.

Flight of the Gin Fizz by Henry Kisor

Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche

Trapper John

I enjoyed Rinker's book and also this link http://www.borderpilot.com/ to a story written by a guy who was a crop duster for many years. As far as I know this story has never been published -- it is just here on the web.

Nothing By Chance by Richard Bach... about trying to recapture the barnstorming life in the 60s. See also Biplane by the same author... another coast-to-coast odyssey.

I'd recommend anything by him... A Gift of Wings is a good intro to his work; it's a collection of short stories about flying.

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of at least one of those books.
Another good "long XC in an old plane" book is The Cannibal Queen by Stephen Koontz... that's one I've read but do not own.

Can't help you with the Wiley Post book, but I do have a book about his final flight (Death at Barrow).

He died in a nose-heavy float plane he put together himself didnt he? somewhere in alaska i think. I may have read that book. Ive known who Wiley Post was for awhile but never taken any interest in him until now.

He died in a nose-heavy float plane he put together himself didnt he? somewhere in alaska i think. I may have read that book. Ive known who Wiley Post was for awhile but never taken any interest in him until now.
I just checked, and it seems I don't own that one- must've been a library book.
He didn't quite build that plane himself: it was a not-very-kosher mating of wings and airframe (two Lockheed models, if I remember right). Also, the floats were not really right for the plane- it was certainly a bit nose-heavy.

Here's what it says on Wiki:

"After making a test flight in July, Post and Rogers left Seattle in early August. While Post piloted the aircraft, Rogers wrote his columns on his typewriter. On August 15, they left Fairbanks, Alaska for Point Barrow. They were a few miles from Point Barrow when they became uncertain of their position in bad weather and landed in a lagoon to ask directions. On takeoff, the engine failed at low altitude, and the aircraft, uncontrollably nose-heavy at low speed, plunged into the lagoon, shearing off the right wing and ended inverted in the shallow water of the lagoon. Both men died instantly."

It's a sad end to a great career...he was a great and innovative pilot, and the poster boy for all SODA applicants. He actually started out with only one eye- he used the settlement money from a work-related accident to buy himself a Jenny, and the rest is history.

And of course, equally tragic was the untimely demise of his friend and passenger, Will Rogers... one of the greatest humorists in American history, and a great supporter of aviation in the early days.

The book delves quite a bit into the lives of both men, and their huge contributions to the development of modern aviation.

Lindbergh's Spirit of St Louis is a must read. Not only is it an amazing story it's an amazingly well written book.

Richard Bach's best book is called Stranger to the Ground, in my opinion.

Dr Eckners Dream Machine is a fantastic account of the travels of the Graf Zeppelin.

Exploring the Monster
Song of the Sky
Hot Shots
Voyager
Any astronaut biography Aldrin, Collins, Lovell, Glen...

Oh yea and At the Edge of Space, the story of the X15

Last edited:
Post is buried right across the street from where I used to work. My co-workers thought I was a little nuts for walking over there occasionally to get a bit of inspiration.

Back