What does this NOTAM mean?

MtnMarcus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PropWash
!SUN 07/006 SUN AIRSPACE SEE ZLC 07/057 UAS 1707102310-1707131200 CREATED: 10 Jul 2017 23:11:00 SOURCE: KBOIYFYX

This is a reference NOTAM. It's a reference to a separate NOTAM in case you missed it.

This one indicates there is an unmanned aerial system NOTAM covering Salt Lake City Center (ZLC). It apparently affects the Hailey, ID (SUN) area.

For the record, UAS NOTAMs usually pertain to UAS flying at or below 400 AGL. They're not as impressive as they might sound.

Got it. Thank you

More KSUN info from NBAA:

Significant air traffic volume is expected at Friedman Memorial Airport (SUN) in Hailey, ID for the 2017 Friedman Memorial Airport Event, to be held July 11 to 16, in Sun Valley, ID.

A Ground Delay Program is expected for arrivals into Friedman Memorial Airport (SUN) on Tuesday, July 11. Tuesday will be the primary day for arrivals for those attending the event. The program will be implemented very early the morning of July 12. It is highly recommended to file your flight plan through you flight plan service provider the night prior to your operation to ensure you are "known demand" in the FAA system prior to the program being implemented. Flight plans that are filed AFTER the ground delay program has been implemented will likely see additional delay. Planning your arrival the day before or very early on the 11th will likely reduce the potential for significant delay.

Due to limited overnight and extended parking, it is
possible for the airport/FBO to have limited parking available at SUN as early as Tuesday afternoon. At that time
"drop-and-go only" operations will be initiated as needed at various times throughout the event. During periods of "drop-and-go only" operations, operators will need to relocate to another airport after dropping the passengers at SUN.

Operators should contact Atlantic Aviation to confirm current ramp capacity situation.

Atlantic Aviation – SUN
Tel: 208-788-9511

There will be required
arrival routes into SUN due to the expected increased demand. Flight operators should file the routes outlined below which are based on the direction of flight.

From the Northwest - MENIN-HLE-SUN
From the Southwest - LLC-PARZZ-MENIN-HLE-KSUN
From the South - ELY-TWF-MENIN-HLE-KSUN or PICHO-PATIO-TWF-MENIN-HLE-KSUN
From the East - PIH-MENIN-HLE-KSUN

Additional information is available on the following NBAA webpage.

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/airspace/regional/western/friedman-memorial-airport-event/

Its a ridiculous batch of alphanumeric gibberish that you are absolutely responsible for under federal law that makes so little sense to anyone other than those who pride themselves in the interpretation of total faa geek that it keeps this kind of stupidity going and going and going....
SO ABSURD in today's modern tech world. So dumb.

Significant air traffic volume is expected at Friedman Memorial Airport (SUN) in Hailey, ID for the 2017 Friedman Memorial Airport Event, to be held July 11 to 16, in Sun Valley, ID.

A Ground Delay Program is expected for arrivals into Friedman Memorial Airport (SUN) on Tuesday, July 11. Tuesday will be the primary day for arrivals for those attending the event. The program will be implemented very early the morning of July 12. It is highly recommended to file your flight plan through you flight plan service provider the night prior to your operation to ensure you are "known demand" in the FAA system prior to the program being implemented. Flight plans that are filed AFTER the ground delay program has been implemented will likely see additional delay. Planning your arrival the day before or very early on the 11th will likely reduce the potential for significant delay.

possible for the airport/FBO to have limited parking available at SUN as early as Tuesday afternoon. At that time
"drop-and-go only" operations will be initiated as needed at various times throughout the event. During periods of "drop-and-go only" operations, operators will need to relocate to another airport after dropping the passengers at SUN.

Operators should contact Atlantic Aviation to confirm current ramp capacity situation.

Atlantic Aviation – SUN

There will be required
arrival routes into SUN due to the expected increased demand. Flight operators should file the routes outlined below which are based on the direction of flight.

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/airspace/regional/western/friedman-memorial-airport-event/

This is great thank you. I would not have known where to get this info

Its a ridiculous batch of alphanumeric gibberish that you are absolutely responsible for under federal law that makes so little sense to anyone other than those who pride themselves in the interpretation of total faa geek that it keeps this kind of stupidity going and going and going....

I absolutely agree.
There is no reason on earth to continue with this sort of crap.
AOPA, FLYING, EAA and all the other "friends" of aviation take notice. Do something useful and address this ridiculous anachronism and get it replaced with something useful.

I'm my neck of the woods, NOTAMS are usually posted by airfield ops people, not FAA.

Atlantic Aviation – SUN

There will be required

The Allen and Company "Summer Camp for Media and Tech Billionaires" starts tomorrow at the Sun Valley Lodge. It is a HUGE deal. Tons of big jets (G-6's, etc) have been arriving all day. This an "Everybody who is Anybody" type of conference.

:yeahthat: I understand this.....
The Allen and Company "Summer Camp for Media and Tech Billionaires" starts tomorrow at the Sun Valley Lodge. It is a HUGE deal. Tons of big jets (G-6's, etc) have been arriving all day. This an "Everybody who is Anybody" type of conference.

The NOTAM may as well be in jibberish.....wait, it is in jibberish.:mad2:

Useful in the days of teletypes

FND MCH ESR UNDSTND WHN MST VWLS WRDS SKPT. CRPTK RFRNC OBSCR GRPHC LCN HLPS LTS. ONLY WY MK BTTR WLD MRSE CDE

..-. -. -.. / -- -.-. .... / . ... .-. / ..- -. -.. ... - -. -.. / .-- .... -. / -- ... - / ...- .-- .-.. ... / .-- .-. -.. ... / .-.. ..-. - / ..- - .-.-.- / -.-. .-. .--. - -.- / .-. ..-. .-. -. -.-. / --- -... ... -.-. .-. / --. .-. .--. .... -.-. / .-.. -.-. -. / .... .-.. .--. ... / .-.. - ... .-.-.- / --- -. .-.. -.-- / .-- -.-- / -- -.- / -... - - .-. / .-- .-.. -.. / -- .-. ... . / -.-. -.. .

I absolutely agree.
There is no reason on earth to continue with this sort of crap.
AOPA, FLYING, EAA and all the other "friends" of aviation take notice. Do something useful and address this ridiculous anachronism and get it replaced with something useful.

Maybe I'm the anachronistic old guy (not really) that doesn't see a problem with the NOTAM format. I just downloaded NOTAMs for KEWR (I picked a big airport that I figured would have their fair share of NOTAMs).
KEWR NOTAMs said:
Data Current as of: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:47:00 GMT
KEWR NEWARK LIBERTY INTL

NOTAMs REMOVED. POST WAS TOO LONG... FILE ATTCHD

Number of NOTAMs selected: 60
End of Report
Sixty NOTAMs. They all made sense. I didn't see any weird abbreviations that made me scratch my head. I did pause at RCLL, but got they were talking about the Runway Centerline Lights. They even spelled out a lot of words. Words that they could have easily abbreviated. "MINIMUM," "CENTERLINE," "FREQUENCY." They even spelled out "OUT OF SERVICE" instead of "OTS" for crying out loud. All these words are spelled out in plain English. I don't know how you make this any easier to read. Somebody read these NOTAMs and tell me where they could have done a better job with the readability (from a textual standpoint).

That's not to say that I like the NOTAM system as is. Here's the problem, as I see it. It's not the abbreviations (there aren't that many unfamiliar ones), it's the fact that there are too many. The AIrfield Ops people (or their lawyers) are playing CYA and publishing NOTAMs which have no bearing on the flight safety going into an airport. There are 9 OBST NOTAMs for cranes over a mile away form the airport at 65 AGL? Really? Is that important for flying into EWR? Helicopter guys chime in, maybe it's for them, I don't know.

The problem isn't that they aren't readable, they are. It's that important stuff becomes buried in the minutia of "OBST CRANE (ASN UNKNOWN) 404146N0741107W (1.08NM SW EWR) UNKNOWN (65FT AGL) FLAGGED AND LGTD" and other crap that you miss "RWY 22L CLSD."

Let's not worry about the abbreviations, but lets work on reducing the number of useless NOTAMs and being able to filter out by time (why do I have to wade through a dozen NOTAMs for "MEN AND EQUIP" working on the runway edge next week when I'm going there today?). That's what will make the system better.

Attachments

• KEWR NOTAMS.pdf
    114 KB · Views: 0
Back