What does this mean?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
KLVS 201353Z AUTO 36007KT 1/2SM SN FZFG VV007 M04/M06 A2968 RMK AO2 SLP052 P0002 T10441056

Freezing Fog??

Sounds like it. Snow and freezing frog. Serious icing conditions.

Don't fly today. :)

Freezing Fog is correct. Fire up Flight simulator or X-Plane today.

i think that gets reported when vis is low (fog) and temps are below freezing. im pretty sure that would qualify as flight into known icing conditions :)

If you walk into a cloud, and then it freezes and you can't get back out ... that's probably freezing fog.

Driving isn't fun in freezing fog, either. I picked up an inch of rime on the leading edges of a Ford Explorer on I-5 a few years ago. It altered the aerodynamics of the radio antenna and made it whip back and forth like an apoplectic windshield wiper, so fast I thought it would break off.

-- Pilawt

Freezing Fog is one of those wonderful cold weather place things we get to deal with. I have been flung in CAVU and came up to having some fog below me that was reported freezing. But as it was only 100feet deep I landed anyways. I was only it for 10 seconds before getting on the ground and got no icing whatsoever. It also happened to be at the point it was disapating so I'll wager it was not freezing. The OAT was 3C

Driving isn't fun in freezing fog, either. I picked up an inch of rime on the leading edges of a Ford Explorer on I-5 a few years ago. It altered the aerodynamics of the radio antenna and made it whip back and forth like an apoplectic windshield wiper, so fast I thought it would break off.

-- Pilawt

I had 3" on the front end of my Jeep back in 1997. A perfect mold of the front end, all came off in one piece it was that solid.

as i learned in my vibrations course, a circular cross section will not flutter. change the shape of it a little bit though, and a change in wind direction (AoA) will cause a change in "lift" and then it will flutter all over the place. same problem with suspension bridge cables as your radio antenna.

as i learned in my vibrations course, a circular cross section will not flutter. change the shape of it a little bit though, and a change in wind direction (AoA) will cause a change in "lift" and then it will flutter all over the place. same problem with suspension bridge cables as your radio antenna.

Perhaps it's a matter of definition of 'flutter', but I thought you could hit resonant failure with a circular cross section due to the vortex shedding frequency providing alternating sideways forces and this hitting the resonance of the structure. Isn't that why they have those spiral structures on the tops of circular smoke stacks?

Chris

Don't fly today?
Don't DRIVE today!

Well, not in a southern state anyway. :D

I did about 150 miles on ice-covered roads today in Montana and Wyoming, took around 3 hours (~50mph average for the mathematically challenged). Now, I'm guessing that they don't salt the roads around Yellowstone to keep the wildlife from thinking of the road as a big salt lick and/or keeping the adjacent streams clean... But I have no clue why they couldn't have at least sanded the roads. :dunno:

Back