What does the Lindle crash mean for Cirrus??

Ron Levy said:
Your information is inaccurate. Nobody starts in the Tweet unless they skip IFS (Introductory Flight Screening at Colorado Springs -- 25 hours of flight training) because they already have a PPL. If you're talking about JUPT at Sheppard, the program includes 90 hours in Primary (T-6, T-34C, or T-37), and 120 hours in the T-38 in Advanced for those going to fighters. The airlift/tanker and turboprop transport tracks include 105 and 115 hours in Advanced. That's over 220 hours of flight training before being sent to an F-15 RTU.

Can't recall seeing one T-5 or T-34 on the ramp at Sheppard, only T-37s & T-38s They may have meant T-38 hrs, but thats not how I recall the conversation. Regardless thou, any of those primary aircraft you listed are far mor advanced and capable aircraft than the SR-20.

Bill Jennings said:
My initial gut check (right or wrong) is JFK JR syndrom, more plane than brain.

I don't think that's a fair statement about JFK Jr. The guy seemed to be
pretty intellegent. What's lacking in these cases is flight experience and
training. Without the experience I think these low time pilots honestly
don't comprehend the complexity of operating some of these planes
thru their entire envelope.

RogerT said:

I had ESPN on last night and they had Jeremy Schapp talking about this. Schapp was talking about the Cirrus and it's performance, etc. He also noted that one of the guys in their truck has flown a Cirrus, and he equated a low-time pilot flying a Cirrus to somebody learning to drive in a Porsche or Ferrari.

Given my inexperience (roughly the same as Lidle, he passed his checkride 6 days before I did) and my only experience being in 172's, I wasn't sure if that's an accurate statement or not.

sbonek said:
I had ESPN on last night and they had Jeremy Schapp talking about this. Schapp was talking about the Cirrus and it's performance, etc. He also noted that one of the guys in their truck has flown a Cirrus, and he equated a low-time pilot flying a Cirrus to somebody learning to drive in a Porsche or Ferrari.

Given my inexperience (roughly the same as Lidle, he passed his checkride 6 days before I did) and my only experience being in 172's, I wasn't sure if that's an accurate statement or not.

Cirrus flight characteristics are benign- it's a great-flying airplane.

There has been some speculation (not meaning in relation to this accident, but generally) that the more-elaborate systems contribute to a lot more head-down time for the pilot, and that sort of distraction could *definitely* contribute to an accident like this one. Still, rankest speculation, worthy of absolutely no attention.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Cory Lidle's beneficiaries could lose out on a $1.5 million benefit from baseball's benefit plan if it's determined he was piloting his plane when it crashed into a Manhattan high-rise.
While Lidle wasn't a member of the Major League Baseball Players Association licensing plan because he was a replacement player during the 1994-95 strike, the New York Yankees pitcher was covered by the union's benefit plan.
The plan calls for a $450,000 life insurance benefit and has an accidental death benefit of $1.05 million. However, the plan -- which applies to all big leaguers -- contains an exclusion for "any incident related to travel in an aircraft ... while acting in any capacity other than as a passenger."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/10/12/lidle.benefits.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

So I think we now know the smallest ammount of money that the lawsuit will ask for. The family will want it from somewhere. hmm wonder who they will try and get it from?

Be assured they will sue, and the will be suing Cirrus. The stuff about there being too much info in the cockpit will be discovered and Garmin will also face a lawsuit. The complaint being that their displays are not optimised for humans to use in an effective and safe manner. That resulted in the pilot being distracted during a critical portion of the flight causing the collision.

Lidle's value was far and above that number. IIRC, his contract was $3 million a year, assume that he had 5 years left, plus player endorsements.

I would be surprised to see a number less than $20-25 million.

Watch our insurance costs rise.

i think his contract had run its course at the end of the year, however.

tonycondon said:
i think his contract had run its course at the end of the year, however.

Doesn't matter. It sets the baseline for earning potential.

Michael said:
How do you know? Sheesh this is disturbing.

What I find disturbing, Michael, is that in respect to the deceased and his family there has been no evidence of his name being correctly spelled in the title of this thread. And there are other variations, also incorrect, in other posts.

HR

smigaldi said:
Cirrus has been getting a lot of press about accident that occur with their planes.

Just a few stats about Cirrus:
First Plane(SR20) delivered in 1999.
Total production as of this year, around 1300.
NTSB datbase reports 64 accidents or incidents involving Cirrus SR20 or SR22 airplanes.
Out of the 64, 23 were fatal.
I'll try and do a comparable for Cessna.

Last edited:
Dean said:
Just a few stats about Cirrus:
First Plane(SR20) delivered in 1999.
Total production as of this year, around 1300.
NTSB datbase reports 64 accidents or incidents involving Cirrus SR20 or SR22 airplanes.
Out of the 64, 23 were fatal.
I'll try and do a comparable for Cessna.

A check of the FAA database shows 597 SR-20's and 2030 SR-22's registered.

greg

Skip Miller said:
I know EXACTLY what happened, too.

It's the dreaded Downwind Turn that got 'em. :D

-Skip

You're actually correct on that, but not in the typical downwing turn to stall myth. The turn downwind increased the radius of the turn which put them into the side of the building.

river_rat said:
A check of the FAA database shows 597 SR-20's and 2030 SR-22's registered.

greg

Cirrus must not know how many they have made, I got the 1300 figure from THEIR website. Must not have been updated lately

Bill Jennings said:
Not saying dumb, JFK JR wasn't dumb, just poor judgement. But I did read a piece where he took a sports writer up in a plane and scared the man half to death. So, if the article is correct, history of hotdogging.

I have had pax scared half to death without any hotdogging (unless you consider taking off to be "hotdogging"). Freaked out at <100 AGL, and I asked tower for an immediate return to the field. :confused:

smigaldi said:
When this occurs it will be interesting to see how Garmin and Cirrus respond. By that I do not mean with their court room defense but rather how it will affect their ability to improve the product. I'll bet that Cessna is watching this very closely as they move ever nearer to having a carbon piston single and their current usuage of G1000s.

Scott,

Cirrus does not use the G1000. Their glass panels are Avidyne. Of course, that does involve having some Garmin boxes for Nav/Com/GPS though.

Also, I don't think a 2002 airplane would have had a glass panel at all in the first place.

flyingcheesehead said:
I have had pax scared half to death without any hotdogging (unless you consider taking off to be "hotdogging"). Freaked out at <100 AGL, and I asked tower for an immediate return to the field. :confused:

I get the same thing, seems they just go into a panic as soon as the plane goes inverted.:dunno:

Henning said:
Besides, they do abinitio training from day one in the SR-20, "

The USAF does Ab-intro in the SR20? I believe the reactivated program farms out Ab-intro training, recently DOSS aviation won the contract. The first and present program uses the Diamond DA-20 C-1 Eclipse (designated DA-20 C-1 Falcon for the USAF) with reversed panels. It seems the AF was getting too many washouts after they ended the first progarm, so they resumed it. It must be a very useful tool for them.

Last edited:
Henning said:
I get the same thing, seems they just go into a panic as soon as the plane goes inverted.:dunno:
I've had a passenger go green on me with a right turn to base. He was fine up to that turn. The bad news was we were 25 miles from home and he had to suffer through the ride back.
That may be why he's been less inclined to fly with me again.
No hotdogging involved, but I can certainly see where a non-aviator might consider a turn around a point hotdogging.

Well unless there is found to be a mechanical fault with the Cirrus, I hope his family sues and LOSES, plus has to pay for Cirrus' court costs.

I am SICK of this sue, sue, sue crap as it relates to not defects, but deferring responsibility.

Sure we can talk about training, or gripe that the 'chute may make some people go where they should not, but the plane is flyable and certifiable by the government. No defect found....no lawsuit win. THAT is the way it should be.

RogerT said:

I know someone who went to law school with JFK Jr. He was not noted for being the brightest bulb in the box. It took him several tries to pass the NY bar exam. IIRC, he finally was granted the permission to take the test in a room by himself to reduce distractions (not a request granted very often).

Jim G

Back