What does it take?

Nice write-up. Some spelling/grammar mistakes, but the concept is great.

I'd add "Gumption" or "Stick-to-it-iveness".

If you have a history of bad judgement, and have avoided major legal interactions, a career as a pilot might be right for you...
Sorry couldn't resist

Thoughts...

Grammar nit-pick... "Weigh alternatives" not "weight".

Mention clubs/co-ownerships as a tactic for lowering costs but that they add additional legal and liability concerns as well as multiple "decision-makers" and social concerns. (Nothing good is free of encumbrances...)

Might mention the need for a "mission" after flight training. If you're easily bored after you gain an achievement you'll probably move on after the Private rating. List a few organizations like the Angel Flight stuff, animal rescue, and CAP amongst others, perhaps.

Going to share the link around. Looks good overall!

Nice!

A few more minor nits...
"Th good news is the qualities are fairly well distributed an none are required in heroic proportions."
And I'd drop the reference to celebrities in reference to judgement.
Nate already mentioned "weight alternatives"
"On truth is certain"
" It let's you meet a milestone"

Nice!

A few more minor nits...
"Th good news is the qualities are fairly well distributed an none are required in heroic proportions."
And I'd drop the reference to celebrities in reference to judgement.
Nate already mentioned "weight alternatives"
"On truth is certain"
" It let's you meet a milestone"

Great catches -- thanks!

Thoughts...

Grammar nit-pick... "Weigh alternatives" not "weight".

Mention clubs/co-ownerships as a tactic for lowering costs but that they add additional legal and liability concerns as well as multiple "decision-makers" and social concerns. (Nothing good is free of encumbrances...)

Might mention the need for a "mission" after flight training. If you're easily bored after you gain an achievement you'll probably move on after the Private rating. List a few organizations like the Angel Flight stuff, animal rescue, and CAP amongst others, perhaps.

Going to share the link around. Looks good overall!

Excellent point. I added note as the buy/club option is a good one, but needs its own treatment (how to find? what to buy? how much? where's the breakeven? etc).

I also re-wrote the paragraph on desire...

Great feedback - thanks!

1. Money
2. More money
3. Even more money
4. Bunches of even more money
5. If you have to ask...

I enjoyed the writing on what it takes

Daniel

As someone who's still in the process of deciding whether she has the "right stuff" to be a pilot, I enjoyed reading what you had to say, Dan. I especially appreciated seeing you mention the sport pilot option. That's something that I have decided on, because it makes more sense for what I want to do, which is to fly recreationally for the beauty of it, not for travel or for business. Maybe someday I'll change my mind, but for now it just fits my goals and budget better. I get the impression that some people look down on the sport pilot license and light sport aircraft in general, but who cares. I'm having fun, and being challenged and rewarded in ways I never dreamed possible!

As someone who's still in the process of deciding whether she has the "right stuff" to be a pilot, I enjoyed reading what you had to say, Dan. I especially appreciated seeing you mention the sport pilot option. That's something that I have decided on, because it makes more sense for what I want to do, which is to fly recreationally for the beauty of it, not for travel or for business. Maybe someday I'll change my mind, but for now it just fits my goals and budget better. I get the impression that some people look down on the sport pilot license and light sport aircraft in general, but who cares. I'm having fun, and being challenged and rewarded in ways I never dreamed possible!

There's been a lot of Internet whining about Sport Pilot and LSAs, but the three people I know personally who've gone that route have all had nothing but good things to say about it.

Two later upgraded to Private Pilot privileges, showing that the "entry level" concept of the Sport rating and the easy ability to step up, is also quite vindicated.

The grousing over the LSA weight limits being arbitrarily low and cutting off below aircraft like the venerable Cessna 150/152, may be the only justified Internet complaints I've seen.

I think that aircraft certainly could have been handled by most Sport pilots, and the sheer quantities of them out there, would have created a much larger pool of safe, smart, "starter" aircraft. Some of the LSAs are a little too flimsy for my tastes. Others are awesome little birds.

Glad you're having fun!

I read through it thought it was good.

Then later on that evening, my wife was showing me a passage on the very first page of Stick and Rudder. I've never read Stick and Rudder, however it came highly recommended by many, many, many people.

So a little more back story... I had my primary instructor give my wife a "pinch hitter" lesson for a Christmas present. She didn't think she would be capable of doing it. My primary instructor is an amazing guy. She left wanting more. So she started looking at my FAA handbooks. She is a molecular biologist, so boring text isn't beyond her by any means - the FAA books dang near rendered her unconscious however ! So that lead to the purchase of Stick and Rudder, to keep it "fun" for her.

Now back to the original point, right on the first page of Stick and Rudder it says something to the effect of flying is difficult, the accident record proves it, yada yada yada which is all true of course but it just really turned my wife off right away, right on the first page.

After she told me about it, I showed her this link that you posted that I just happened to read that day. It reinvigorated her.

So yea, you kept a flame alive where a highly regarded book almost extinguished it - I say it was a job very well done and thank you sir !

:)

I'm very happy to hear that! Thanks for taking the time to post and welcome to the fold!!

Back