What does it mean to de-militarize a T-6 Texan?

ElPaso Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ElPaso Pilot
Apparently, this:

newsa_DLAImage2_060614031246.jpg

Aww, that just hurts to look at. :no:

http://www.dla.mil/DLA_Media_Center/Pages/newsarticle201406090100.aspx
World War II T-6 Texan trainer aircraft ends its service in Japan
6/9/2014
By Tim Hoyle, DLA Disposition Services

A piece of history was demilitarized recently in Japan as a World War II-era aircraft was turned in to the Defense Logistics Agency for disposal.

According to Japanese Self Defense Force materials, the surplus T-6 Texan was on display from around 1961 until late 1998 at the Japanese base at Hamamatsu. During that time the aircraft spent around three months as part of a “great exhibition of defense” at another site before being returned to Hamamatsu.

Toshiharu Hoki, a DLA Disposition Services employee at Sagami, Japan, said the plane was obtained for training, but became a display piece after the Japanese received another type of aircraft. It was stored outside after its display use ending in 1998, and the plane only recently came to DLA for demilitarization. Currently, the scrap material from the demilitarization is being offered for sale.

Anyone want to purchase a scrap warbird that used to look like this but a few days ago?

newsa_DLAImage1_060614031149.jpg

Another article on this "piece of history" from Jalopnik: http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/defense-department-chops-up-wwii-vintage-display-aircra-1594235364/+ballaban

WTF?? Should have just gave it to me.

Sitting outside since 1998 in Japan's climate, doing nothing, seeing no operation or care? All it's good for is scrap.

Empty weight 4100 ibs including the power plant, Aluminum is about 50 cents per lb for scrap . What a waste ! :sad:

Even if it couldn't fly, I'm sure at least one aviation museum would have paid more than scrap value for it.

Even if it couldn't fly, I'm sure at least one aviation museum would have paid more than scrap value for it.

Except that the cost to ship it out of Japan would far exceed the scrap value and there are plenty if other examples left.

Back