What does it cost to repave a runway?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
This is a curiousity question - there's an private public use airport near a house I'm looking at buying, but it's got a 40' wide runway that I'm not real comfortable with. The pavement is also in pretty rough shape, so it's due for repaving

Assuming I hypothetically wanted to get local pilots together to work with the airport manager to double the runway width, what kind of cost is that looking at?

Brian

Runway length might be a factor.

Concrete, or asphalt? Do you know the current pavement and subgrade thickness? You will probably have to demo the existing pavement to the subgrade (base rock) and do subgrade overexcavation, compaction and fill for the additional width. Could get $spensive.

One of my many exciting jobs in my career was as Base Maintenance Officer, ( please hold the awe), and I may have a little input: It all depends. Some things to consider are: Is the base stable? Asphalt is actually a plastic material, and it can be critically effected by the quality of the subgrade compaction and by the material used for the subgrade as well as the drainage of the area. Soggy subgrage will allow the best asphalt to sink and crack. Other good news is that the cost is directly tied to oil prices as it is a petroleum product. Get a good local contractor and ask about using RAP (Recycled Asphalt Pavement). They can actually grind up your existing asphalt, remix with new and lay down a new surface for a lower cost. But laying new pavement on a bad base is a losing proposition. Get that checked out before you buy, because starting from the bottom up is very expensive.

Structural concrete is roughly $180 per cubic yard not counting rebar. Concrete costs alone for a 12" section of an 80' x 3,000 foot runway would be about $1.6M. So, well over $2M with demo, subgrade, reinforcement, lighting, striping, etc...

It's asphalt now. I imagine it would be replaced with asphalt when it's time. The airport is 5W5, there aren't that many of them around me like this.

If it were 80 feet wide, I'd consider basing a plane there. At 40', I'll drive 45 minutes to another airport.

It's all hypothetical anyway...

It's asphalt now. I imagine it would be replaced with asphalt when it's time. The airport is 5W5, there aren't that many of them around me like this.

If it were 80 feet wide, I'd consider basing a plane there. At 40', I'll drive 45 minutes to another airport.

I suspect with some practice there you'll discover that 40 feet is plenty wide.

Why do you need such a wide runway?

Bingo!

Go land on a 20' wide runway and then the 40 footer will seem jus' fine...

This is a curiousity question - there's an private public use airport near a house I'm looking at buying, but it's got a 40' wide runway that I'm not real comfortable with. The pavement is also in pretty rough shape, so it's due for repaving

Assuming I hypothetically wanted to get local pilots together to work with the airport manager to double the runway width, what kind of cost is that looking at?

Brian

Pull out all the hard stuff and go grass.

Bingo!

Go land on a 20' wide runway and then the 40 footer will seem jus' fine...

+1

With practice a 20' runway is sufficient. However, if the asphalt is deteriorating...... do you need asphalt, or would gravel or grass be ok.

What do you fly???

What do you fly? A jet? Don't take that the wrong way but any normal GA plane is just fine there.

I'm based at a 3920x49ft field and I fly a Twin Comanche. We also have a Skymaster, Seneca, a one-of-a-kind turbine powered 210 and most every imaginable single. Even a DC-3 is based here for most of the summer before Osh Kosh.

If you land on 32, The displaced threshold is 1192 ft effectively making it shorter than 5W5. We have two stuent clubs/schools here too.

And I learned on a 150ft. wide runway in a 172. Just get some additional training. It's much more convenient than driving 40 minutes.

As a civil engineer that has been involved in engineering construction for over 30 years, literally starting with a shovel in my hand, this does not really sound like a big deal. That said, I do not have any experience with paving runways (though tons with roads and parking lots).

Given the size of the strip and the fact that it is private, I think that you can pretty much do what you please, or rather the owner can. Just call a few paving firms and get an estimate on, say, a 1" overlay. If you really want to do a bit more, make it 2".

I think you will find the price for 1" to be around $200k though I have not been involved with asphalt pricing in years so it could be double that given oil prices.

edit: I missed the bit about widening the runway. Forget widening, that will skyrocket the price.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I know this doesnt equate really, but the rule of thumb for street resurfacing around here is roughly 1mil per mile.

I know this doesnt equate really, but the rule of thumb for street resurfacing around here is roughly 1mil per mile.

That prolly includes a lot more than just asphalt - things like milling the existing asphalt, lowering and raising manholes and valve boxes, new traffic signalization (embedded control wires), etc.

Last edited:

Fly to that 80 foot wide runway and try to land on one half width of it, 40 foot wide. Make it the upwind half. See how that feels.

Everybody's got their own personal minimums, but I suspect you'll have a bit of trouble finding other pilots who agree the strip needs to be widened and are willing to help pay for it. 40' wide is fairly typical for smaller light GA airfields and I imagine you get used to it pretty quickly. As far as runway rehabilitation, it could cost anywhere from $25k for a simple crack seal job to a few million for a complete reconstruction.

The airport doesn't qualify for federal funding, but some states help defray the cost of work like this for public use airports using state money. I'm not sure what NC does, but a call to NCDOT division of Aviation should answer that question.

Last edited:

Brian

1- Buy the place....

2- Lay low for a little while...

3- Donate to your local congress critter's relection campaign...

4- Wait for Stimulas 2 to get announced during the Oct election period..

5- Obama money will show up in the form af a FAA grant...

Problem solved..:yesnod:;)

1- Buy the place....

I would hate to think this is the way things would actually work in this country.

Oh, wait. It is the way things work, and I do hate it.

At the airport I learned to fly, the width was 30ft. 40ft is a piece of cake (as was 30).

I remember sitting down with an old pilot at a tiny airport that had just gotten a new layer of asphalt. What a headache for them. They then had to move hangars away from the new runway because the grandfathered regulations no longer exempted them. Then they found out that the 4 inches of asphalt they put down was not really 4 inches because it had to be rolled down to half its original thickness. So they rolled it down to 2 inches and then added another 4 inches and rolled that down so they could have it be a total of 4 inches. I sort of dozed off after that and don't recall what else happened.

1- Buy the place....

:rofl::rofl: A question, is it hard to type with your tongue in your cheek???

Yeah, I'm the biggest runway wimp in the world, but I can still get into 40' as long as there's a center stripe. I would not be too thrilled at this point going into a 40' grass strip because the lack of a center stripe is something I haven't gotten comfortable with yet.

That said in the case of this runway if it's in such bad shape it needs to be redone anyway, I would think 60 feet would be a good compromise if you're wanting a few bigger airplanes to come in.

Yeah, I'm the biggest runway wimp in the world, but I can still get into 40' as long as there's a center stripe. I would not be too thrilled at this point going into a 40' grass strip because the lack of a center stripe is something I haven't gotten comfortable with yet.

That said in the case of this runway if it's in such bad shape it needs to be redone anyway, I would think 60 feet would be a good compromise if you're wanting a few bigger airplanes to come in.

If it is just cracked, then it can be repaired and repaved. The problem with widening is:

1. New sub-base, base, and asphalt is $6x overlay. So widening it to 60' will cost about 4x the cost of repaving the 40'.

2. You can also expect differential settling unless you redo the entire width with new base rock. If you try to go cheap, then maybe 3 - 5 years down the road, you will be overlaying it again.

Before you go out tearing up the current runway, make sure to look at a couple of issues:

- some states have their own obstacle clearance and licensing requirements for public use airports (separate from FAA criteria). This strip looks like it is a bit between the trees. The airport may already have a waiver, if you build a 'new' runway that gets closer to the trees, you may have to renew that waiver (or cut down trees)

- Anytime you start paving over sizeable areas, you may run into stormwater management issues. When this airport was originally paved, nobody gave a hoot, but nowadays if you lay down an acre of new pavement, you may have to put in ditches , oil separators and stormwater ponds. Litigation around a stormwater permit held up a local runway project (replacing a 3000x50ft asphalt strip with 4200x75ft concrete at 2W5) for 18 months. Some enviro-nut from 200miles away with deep pockets kept holding it up under some bogus theory that the new runway would eradicate the bay crabs or something.

- Zoning: What zoning does the airport have right now, is it operated under a conditional use permit (e.g. operating a commercial enterprise like an airport on something zoned ag or conservation). Just 'repairing' or putting a new overlay onto the existing base may not require much involvement by the local zoning authority while 'new construction' certainly would.

- What are you trying to achieve by widening the runway. Do you expect to attract more or 'better' traffic (that buys jetfuel by the 100s of gallons) ? The based pilots are probably quite used to the existing runway.

- Rather than making the paved runway wider, consider moving the runway lights 10ft out and creating 'shoulders' that are grass or compacted gravel/grass. Nobody really needs more than 40ft for takeoff, if you have well maintained gravel shoulders it takes away most of the apprehension about having a wheel roll off the pavement.

- You are not really in snow-country there, right ? Consider installing frangible low-profile runway lights. That way an excursion into the weeks causes a bit less anxiety and potential for damage.

- While the airport is privately owned, the FAA does at times fund improvement projects at such airports. This is a major paperwork nightmare and the paperwork and consultant fees are bound to be higher than what it would cost to just overlay the existing runway, but once the FAA comes in with funding, you do get the gold-plated goverment version with a 3ft deep crushed rock base and snazzy new runway lights. The aforementioned project of the new runway at 2W5 is almost exclusively FAA funded, but this has been in the works for decades.

- Before you purchase an airport, have someone refer you to a psychiatrist and get your head examined :D

The only taildragger i've flown.. you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of seeing a centerline!

Brian you will have no trouble getting used to 5w5. Its not the most happening place and the runway is not pristine (and lit like an xmas tree) like our home base but its in good shape and should be for years to come. With some practice you'll see that 3000x40 is quite a big runway.

Who was your instructor at WCFC? I'd recommend gene weaver or ronney moss.. they'll definitely get you in shape. You get what you pay for (i'm no instructor) but i'll fly over there with you sometime if you want.

Back