What does 'Airspeed is alive' mean?

Kodiak

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kodiak
I have not started flying lessons yet, but I have heard this statement while watching youtube videos.

you want to verify you will have airspeed indication before taking flight, so you look at the the airspeed needle & ensure it is moving, early in the takeoff roll.

Hypothetically, that could tell you that you forgot to remove your pitot cover. Not that it ever happened to me :).

Yep, it's not uncommon for the Pitot tube (the thing that drives the airspeed indicator) to get blocked with something (often an insect). By checking that the thing is reading "off the peg" early in the takeoff rule assures that it is working.

Since "alive" is gibberish slang, I have always used either "indications of oil pressure and airspeed," or better yet, just "airspeed."

Normally only heard in a cockpit with a crew. Usually uttered by the non flying pilot (the monitoring pilot, for the benefit of the flying pilot). Followed by other airspeed call outs. Then, if all goes right, followed by the "positive rate of climb" call out. Indicated by an indication on the altimeter, not the VSI.

Unless you're on a real short strip, "alive" is not really all that useful as you won't get to Vr to V1 or whatever your important numbers are and will abort anyhow.

Since "alive" is gibberish slang, I have always used either "indications of oil pressure and airspeed," or better yet, just "airspeed."
It’s only gibberish slang if you’re not one of the majority of professional flight crews for whom it’s the terminology proscribed by SOPs. ;)

"Alive" is also used on instrument approaches. Gives the flying pilot a heads up that things are OK. Example: "Glide slope alive, no flags."

The slang or verbiage that you use to confirm your airspeed indicator is working isn’t that important, just make sure that it’s working!

Drilled repeatedly by my crusty curmudgeon of an old primary CFI:

- “Engine power good” after verifying full throttle rpm and map, then
- “Airspeed alive” by looking at the ASI of course, then
- “Engine gauges in the green” after checking oil, cyl temps, oil, fuel pressure, vac gauge

Drilled repeatedly by my crusty curmudgeon of an old primary CFI:

- “Engine power good” after verifying full throttle rpm and map, then
- “Airspeed alive” by looking at the ASI of course, then
- “Engine gauges in the green” after checking oil, cyl temps, oil, fuel pressure, vac gauge
Here too. Verified once during run-up and then a second time as I’m scooting down the runway with takeoff power set.

‘Airspeed alive...Gauges green... 50kts, 60...(rotate).’

Airspeed alive followed by positive rate of climb. A good indication your on your way.

If the instruments are "good," does that mean they are not "evil?"

Every ops manual I have read uses "normal."

Butt U kin sey it aneeway youz wanna...

In the professional aviation world, "airspeed alive" was a required SOP call out. "Airspeed" was used on approach if the airspeed was going out of parameters, such as -0/+10 Vapp.

Of course it's a pointless nonsense exercise in some airplane though such as blind tailwheel airplanes on a narrow strip that get off the ground in about 4 seconds. Ending up in the air after take off in VFR conditions only to find ASI inop is not a cause for concern if you actually deserve your pilot's license.

Last edited:
Some of the callouts made during IFR helicopter Category A operations would make no sense to airplane only folks... :p

In the professional aviation world, "airspeed alive" was a required SOP call out. "Airspeed" was used on approach if the airspeed was going out of parameters, such as -0/+10 Vapp.
Whoa! You're getting into that CRM stuff. Those classes always made think of Dr Phil talking to Oprah.

Whoa! You're getting into that CRM stuff. Those classes always made think of Dr Phil talking to Oprah.

Actually what I wrote is standard operating procedures and required call outs.

If you want to talk about how CRM integrates into that.......

Some of the callouts made during IFR helicopter Category A operations would make no sense to airplane only folks... :p
" Airspeed alive. 35 (end of the dead man's curve & OK to climb above 15'. Positive rate of climb. VTOS. VBROC."

I had a friend (now deceased) who used to say that “CRM is a bunch of B.S. If I’m taking off in an overloaded C-46 and an engine fails, I’m not going to slide my seat back, pour a cup of coffee, and ask what he thinks we should do. I’m gonna feather it!”
My response was, “If you’re headed for the wrong feather button, is it ok if the copilot slaps your hand away from the button?”
Him: “Of course!”
Me: “Well, that’s CRM!” :D

Normally only heard in a cockpit with a crew. Usually uttered by the non flying pilot (the monitoring pilot, for the benefit of the flying pilot). Followed by other airspeed call outs. Then, if all goes right, followed by the "positive rate of climb" call out. Indicated by an indication on the altimeter, not the VSI.

Interesting, why not VSI?

Interesting, why not VSI?
Before raising flaps or sucking the gear up, it’s best to wait for a positive indication from the altimeter and the VVI to ensure that you are in fact gaining altitude.

My eyes dont leave the outside once the throttle is dumped... im a vfr tailwheel guy, i need to trust my engine to not lose oil pressure in those handful of seconds since i took the runway till i leave the ground, ASI? she will leave the ground when shes ready...

Before raising flaps or sucking the gear up, it’s best to wait for a positive indication from the altimeter and the VVI to ensure that you are in fact gaining altitude.
...preferably more altitude than the runway gains if you’re taking off uphill. ;)

I have not started flying lessons yet, but I have heard this statement while watching youtube videos.

The airspeed indicator usually will read 0 until you're somewhere around 25-30 knots. "Airspeed Alive" is an acknowledgement that the needle has "come alive" and is indicating airspeed. If it does not come alive when it should, the takeoff would be aborted. That could be caused by an improper preflight (forgetting that the pitot tube cover is still installed), water/bugs/some other obstruction in the pitot tube, pitot tube disconnected somehow, etc... In any case, you don't want to be flying without an airspeed indication, so that verbal callout is used by many pilots (even single pilot, I've been calling it out to myself for years).

For me by myself, it's "Airspeed alive, gauges green, and we are outta here" (as I rotate). :D

In the crew environment: "Gauges green, airspeed alive, takeoff power set" by the PF; rotation speed, "two positive rates" (alt and VSI), and 115 knots by the PNF. 115 is where we raise the flaps, turn on the yaw damper, and put the FD into FLC mode.

I let a buddy (who aint' never flew a tailwheel before) try a takeoff. Managed to get to about 30 degrees from the centerline in about 2 seconds as he was enjoying the view of all the gauges on the panel - I took over at that point.

But, I just have a rag and tube LSA taildragger, not a real airplane.

I'm very sensitive to being asked how airspeed could be alive, so I say the "little airspeed thingy is moving" instead.

Back