What does “SR” stand for in VPLSR?

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
Not important, but still curious…

As I understand, VFR Waypoints are given five-character identifiers that start with VP (for Visual Point it seems). And, in the LA area, the third character is usually but not always L (for Los Angeles it seems).

That said, most of the two digit end-codes are pretty obvious and easy to remember. For example, VPLDL is Disneyland, VPLHP is Huntington Pier, and VPLDP is Dana Point.

Any idea why VPLSR is used for the “Hawthorne & 405 Freeway” intersection?

It’s probably obvious, but I cannot figure it out.

It may not be. There's only 676 combinations after VPL.

There's only so many combinations, so it might just be arbitrary. I often fly over VPOOP in the DC-area, so figure out if that one has any meaning :)

Fly through it all the time going from KTOA to KHHR, can't think of an "SR" at that intersection :)

Well, there's VPLHF, which is at the 110/405 interchange. It's reasonable to believe HF is Harbor Freeway (the 110).

The 405 is the San Diego Freeway, which would be SF. But, VPLSF is for the San Fernando Reservoir.
Maybe SF was assigned first, so SR was used (San Diego Freeway)

I seem to recall that the Mini Route chart used to refer to the intersection that forms the waypoint for the south end of the route as "State Route 107 and 405," rather than "Hawthorne and 405" as it does today. (Hawthorne Blvd. is SR 107.) So, I always thought of the "SR" in VPLSR as standing for "State Route [107]."

I could be completely wrong about that, however. It's a shame that the FAA doesn't maintain an official list of what all of the waypoints (and other identifiers) mean.

I seem to recall that the Mini Route chart used to refer to the intersection that forms the waypoint for the south end of the route as "State Route 107 and 405," rather than "Hawthorne and 405" as it does today. (Hawthorne Blvd. is SR 107.) So, I always thought of the "SR" in VPLSR as standing for "State Route [107]."

I could be completely wrong about that, however. It's a shame that the FAA doesn't maintain an official list of what all of the waypoints (and other identifiers) mean.

That makes the most sense. What would VPLFX be then? That's at the 91/605 interchange.

I'll let you know in the morning if VPLSR glows in the dark :)

Doing my 100nm night flight tonight - TOA to SBA and back. I use that waypoint both directions (MINI on the way up and SFR on the way back)

That makes the most sense. What would VPLFX be then? That's at the 91/605 interchange.

They don't have to mean anything.

Not all the VPL's are in LA anyway. VPLEX is one I use all the time. The third letter usually means nothing.

So, don't mistype it or you're in for a large diversion. :)

Not all LA VFR points are VPLxx. VPNEW is an obvious one (and it's really convenient for arriving from the north). And VPGTY (we can't blame that one on being old -- Getty Center hasn't been around all that long).

Locally, we have VPDLR, which seems to be a random point in the middle of nowhere. There is NOTHING there but an empty ridge.

I get that all the time - what does "LAX" stand for? :)

Back