What do you think?

lsimonds

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa Simonds
Here's what happened to me this morning: I'm in Durango, CO for a few days and I decided ahead of time to give myself a birthday present of flying for an hour while up here. I called ahead and reserved a C182 with CFI for this morning. Was sweating out the weather - threatening snow - but this morning was high overcast and clear to the north (Telluride) where I wanted to go. I was pretty excited by the time I arrived at Animas Air Park. I was written right there on the schedule for the C182. However, bummer, no CFI was scheduled with me. I waited around a half hour until the owner was called out from home. He said he could take me up, but he wasn't a CFI. I thought, well, okay, I guess right seat would be better than not going at all. I kinda figured he was going to just charge me for the airplane rental rate because of the mixup, but almost as an afterthought I asked how much. He wanted more for his time than what the CFI would have cost. I questioned this and he said, "Well, if I stay here and work I make more than that by the hour." At this point I was thinking the guy was home drinking coffee and I'm here to fly his airplane for an hour that it will otherwise sit on the ground. It just flew all over me that he acted as if I were putting him out, so I said, "Tell you what, if you can make more staying here the next hour, knock yourself out. I'll take my business elsewhere." Well, there isn't any elsewhere up here, so I won't be mountain flying, but that's my decision.

This was so far outside my experience with FBO's that I'm still shocked. These fixed base operators are famous for hospitality, customer care, etc. I guess I've gotten spoiled. Here's the thread: What are your experiences with FBO's in your neck of the woods or elsewhere you've flown?

Lisa

Sounds like the guy just didn't really care.

As far as the "what's my experience been" part of the thread goes, I've been lucky to find good service at most places I've been. But I do note a difference between FBOs and flight schools, when not affiliated. I have been to places where the airplane service has been great, but I had heard the flight school wasn't.

lsimonds said:
Here's what happened to me this morning: I'm in Durango, CO for a few days and I decided ahead of time to give myself a birthday present of flying for an hour while up here. I called ahead and reserved a C182 with CFI for this morning. Was sweating out the weather - threatening snow - but this morning was high overcast and clear to the north (Telluride) where I wanted to go. I was pretty excited by the time I arrived at Animas Air Park. I was written right there on the schedule for the C182. However, bummer, no CFI was scheduled with me. I waited around a half hour until the owner was called out from home. He said he could take me up, but he wasn't a CFI. I thought, well, okay, I guess right seat would be better than not going at all. I kinda figured he was going to just charge me for the airplane rental rate because of the mixup, but almost as an afterthought I asked how much. He wanted more for his time than what the CFI would have cost. I questioned this and he said, "Well, if I stay here and work I make more than that by the hour." At this point I was thinking the guy was home drinking coffee and I'm here to fly his airplane for an hour that it will otherwise sit on the ground. It just flew all over me that he acted as if I were putting him out, so I said, "Tell you what, if you can make more staying here the next hour, knock yourself out. I'll take my business elsewhere." Well, there isn't any elsewhere up here, so I won't be mountain flying, but that's my decision.

This was so far outside my experience with FBO's that I'm still shocked. These fixed base operators are famous for hospitality, customer care, etc. I guess I've gotten spoiled. Here's the thread: What are your experiences with FBO's in your neck of the woods or elsewhere you've flown?

Lisa

Lisa, I think he said it all when he said he could make more money doing something else.

My experience has been varied. It's part of the reason I own a plane. If instructing is "core business" to them, then they will meet their commitments -if it's just a sideline, they won't care.

It is, however, bad form to just "not show".

I'll probably get whacked for saying this, but in some areas of the country, that attitude is prevalent.

Lisa:

Sorry that happened to you. Sounds as if I would have done the same thing under the circumstances. Some folks just don't seem to care a lot. Is that who you want to be riding with?

Best,

Dave S.

Dave Siciliano said:
Some folks just don't seem to care a lot. Is that who you want to be riding with?

Dave...thanks. What you said was exactly what I was thinking as I walked out.

No doubt that part of the origin for the phrase: "to make a small fortune in aviation...", is the number of aviation businesses run by people with little or no business sense. I think you just found one. I think you were right to walk out, but I doubt that will have any effect on the FBO owner.

There are other airports in the area (DRO, FMN, or even TEX). Maybe you could find what you want at one of them.

Also, you might find some satisfaction in adding a comment to the Airnav listing for the FBO at 00C.

lancefisher said:
Also, you might find some satisfaction in adding a comment to the Airnav listing for the FBO at 00C.

Lance, thanks for your remarks. I did post a comment in the AOPA Airport Directory, and yes, I got a little satisfaction from doing it. ;)

I read you posted a comment on the AOPA Airport Directory. Please do the same on Airnav also, and spread the word.

When I first started looking for a place to learn to fly we ran into a couple folks like that. My wife and kid always came with me when we checked an airport out. At the bad places, they would at best be ignored, at worst there would be active hostility. They treated me well, though, apparently thinking that since I was the one giving them money that's all that mattered. An attitude that cost them a couple grand. As far as I'm concerned, people like that give GA a black eye, and drive away potential converts who will never meet all the good places to take your family and do business.

Lisa,

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

What a disappointment -- but you did the right thing. I can't believe they didn't even call you to tell you there was no CFI available, or that the CFI had canceled, or whatever it was that happened. I haven't had an experience like that with an FBO, but I have, of course, elsewhere.

Hope you get to do something fun and adventurous for your birthday.

Back