What do you think of this laptop?

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
Hello All,

I wanted to see what your opinions might be on this laptop.

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=0&l3=0&l4=0&model=1907&modelmenu=1

I'm looking to get something cheap, (I'm a student) that is great for word processing, and some web-browsing. Amazon has it listed for $300, and it looks like it fits the bill quite nicely for me, but seeing as I know nothing about Linux, I thought that I'd ask here. I'm thinking of just using a 4GB SD card for memory, to keep things simple/portable, your thoughts? I would be going between XP and this.

Thanks,

Purdue

It looks cute and it might be a nice little item to have in the cockpit. But, for student use where you'll be doing a LOT of writing? That tiny keyboard is going to draw out some cuss words you never knew you were capable of.

For around $500-600, you can get a decent 14.1" with a full keyboard that will be a lot more comfortable for constant use. Check out the deals offered at Microcenter.com. They come very highly recommended in both their retail stores and online access.

I just got an Acer from Microcenter for 379. I plan to put in more memory (it has half a gig of RAM) so the full 2 gigs will bring that price up somewhat - but it's a good little machine.

Thanks guys. That was my main concern as well. I will check out Micro Center, (I could probably swing $380) and still would appreciate any further opinions on this machine. I do like the portability....:yes:

Purdue

I do like the KISS approach, and with that in mind, I'd need to upgrade MS Office to the new Vista version, no? I'm referring to:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0266362

Thanks!
That looks like an ideal machine. Acer does put out a good product and I've seen Microcenter go through a LOT of them in the two retail stores in Atlanta. Do add the memory to give you a bit more efficiency. Since you're a student, you can get the student version of Microsoft Office. Last time I was in Microcenter, they were selling it for $119.

I get weekly emails from Microcenter. Just today was a coupon for memory which should be good for the Acer you're looking at.

The actual memory link:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0279999

Coupon:
http://cps7.00b.net/498/content_load/523/coupon.a108c.html?R=1466833770

Good luck at it!

I concur re: Acer laptops. Mine lives in my backpack and rides in my trunk, the back seat of my car, in airplanes, and on subways and buses, and never complains in the least. I've also bought Acer laptops for several family members and friends, as well as clients.

Rich

That looks like an ideal machine. Acer does put out a good product and I've seen Microcenter go through a LOT of them in the two retail stores in Atlanta. Do add the memory to give you a bit more efficiency. Since you're a student, you can get the student version of Microsoft Office. Last time I was in Microcenter, they were selling it for $119.

I get weekly emails from Microcenter. Just today was a coupon for memory which should be good for the Acer you're looking at.

The actual memory link:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0279999

Coupon:
http://cps7.00b.net/498/content_load/523/coupon.a108c.html?R=1466833770

Good luck at it!

that helps me out too - any opinion on which one may be better? are these just snap and go? thanks for the link.

Stay away from Vista unless you need application software that won't run on XP.

-Skip

that helps me out too - any opinion on which one may be better? are these just snap and go? thanks for the link.
Which Acer model do you have? Odds are its DDR2-PC5300 but you want to be certain. Of those two links, one is the link to the memory for his computer choice. The second is a coupon for the sale price. It should be available online as well.

Memory is easy to install in most laptops with a small cover removed on the bottom of the case. The important thing is insuring you're grounded when handling the card.

I will have to check, I think it was called 3682 - the link I put up last month is already dead, apparently the one I linked above is the "next" 379 dollar laptop they are offering.

Vista came on my machine, no choice. Other than making the computer sloooooooooow (which I hope the 2 gig card will help...) I kind of like it. "Using it" that is - no idea about reliability, etc.

On the model in question - I like the solid state HD idea, but the small screen might be a strain on the eyes and the keyboard might be too cramped for comfortable touch typing. Linux will work fine as long as your printer comes with a Linux driver. Otherwise, I like it and would consider one myself for travel.

That looks like it might be good for taking notes in class, but you won't want it as your main computer.

Vista came on my machine, no choice. Other than making the computer sloooooooooow (which I hope the 2 gig card will help...) I kind of like it. "Using it" that is - no idea about reliability, etc.

It will help. I asked a MS rep at a meeting a bit over a year ago how much memory was needed for Vista. He had two laptops at the meeting. One with 512 MBytes of RAM and the other with 2 GBytes of RAM. Vista will run in 512 MBytes, but it leaves very little memory for other applications, so you get a ton of page swaps. It will run nicely in 2 GBytes (and does on a machine of mine).

If you are comfortable with Office 2003 or earlier, you aren't going to like Office 2007 until you get really comfortable with it. They've really mucked with the UI and I'm still getting used to it after almost a year (I know, slow learner) as I use Office 2003 at work and on other machines at home.

Last edited:
It will help. I asked a MS rep at a meeting a bit over a year ago how much memory was needed for Vista. He had two laptops at the meeting. One with 512 MBytes of RAM and the other with 2 GBytes of RAM. Vista will run in 512 MBytes, but it leaves very little memory for other applications, so you get a ton of page swaps. It will run nicely in 2 GBytes (and does on a machine of mine).

If you are comfortable with Office 2003 or earlier, you aren't going to like Office 2007 until you get really comfortable with it. They've really mucked with the UI and I'm still getting used to it after almost a year (I know, slow learner) as I use Office 2003 at work and on other machines at home.

Thanks Ghery. I haven't even powered it up since I got back from Italy, but since I'm on the road again next wkd I suppose I better pay a visit to Microcenter. I should have thought of the "two laptops" a long time ago, for all the traveling that I do - it really worked well, and no worries if it breaks b/c it was so darn cheap!

Thanks much to all. I appreciate the info, and have some reading to do now....

Purdue

Use WordPerfect, and evade that whole issue (along with on-purpose file incompatibility).

Hello All,

I wanted to see what your opinions might be on this laptop.

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=0&l3=0&l4=0&model=1907&modelmenu=1

I'm looking to get something cheap, (I'm a student) that is great for word processing, and some web-browsing. Amazon has it listed for $300, and it looks like it fits the bill quite nicely for me, but seeing as I know nothing about Linux, I thought that I'd ask here. I'm thinking of just using a 4GB SD card for memory, to keep things simple/portable, your thoughts? I would be going between XP and this.

Thanks,

Purdue
Make sure you check out Macs and use the student discount price. I bought one for my niece when she graduated HS and she is still loving it into her Jr. Year at University. I got 12% off through her university purchase plan.

Back