What do you tell a nervous passenger...

I know it's NOT reassuring on final to ask if anyone remembers how to land this thing.

And my GF, who flies with me often and is a PPL student, was overly cautious once because her Son and DIL were in the back said "When do you think you should put the gear down?"

I said "How about if I fly the plane today"

We lived!

Point being - the passenger can be be nervous or not for all kinds of reasons. Plan your flight, Fly your plan. Multiple successes build confidence. Do a bunch of local area and nearby airports.

In all seriousness, while clearing a high mountain pass at 13000 with passengers, I once made a comment that we had 30 minutes before we needed oxygen. Of course all the pilots know I was talking about regs, but the passengers thought they were going to die.

I have flown over 80 EAA Young Eagles and maybe 15 or so parents. I walk everyone through the preflight. Announce the name of the part or ask them if they know what it is, show them the fuel, engine, lights. Explain lift so a school kid can understand. By the time we mount up, most are ready to go. I have only once bailed out because the child was too scared; having taxed, run up, and called ready to go. This, in my opinion, was the spoiled child syndrome as Nana and Dada were in the back
I always offer a trip around the airport and a landing if any of this makes them uncomfortable or ill. Once the engine is started, I walk through all the things I'm doing and why. The taxi out includes a discussion of the airport signs, lights, and painting. I'll do the run up, emphasising the dual mags again.
Once in the air, I ask if everyone is okay, how they are feeling, and if they want to return. If not, then we're off for a 20 minute flight. Any rough air encountered, I make a joke about speed bumps and then explain why they happen. If turbulence is really bad, I will slow down to 85-90 knots. Speed tends to increase the effect of turbulence. On these YE flights I walk them through turns, climbs, and descents. Of all of them, I've only had two child pukers and one adult.
On the other hand, if it is your wife, tell her you still wear the pants in the family. Get in, sit down, and stfu.
By the way, dramamine works wonders. A friend of mine would always take it before flights. She would be asleep 20 minutes in the air. Then it was peddle to the metal, full military power, pour on the coals, max rental power. Turbulence wouldn't wake her.

Took my buddy for a ride. He told me he was nervous to fly and I told him that was normal for a first flight on a small plane. He said, no, I get nervous on the big airliners and I thought, wow, surprised he is doing this. He then proceeds to say jokingly, I should of brought my Drivers license so they can identify me if we crash. I quickly responded, that won't help, they'll need your dental records.

I have the same feeling on commercial flights. Totally irrational, but I don't like not being in control. I'm just a bad passenger in general.
Being a bit of a control freak is a prereq for being a (good)pilot.

"Wait, what? The wings might fall off? Dayumm!! Now I'M worried! Here, you take over!!! AHHHH!"

Well, if a wing falls off...

But a related true story,

I had a friend who was really weird. She always wanted to go fly with me but was petrified once we got up in the air. Happened every single time.

Finally after way to much of this, I asked what is wrong with you? What are you worried about. She said "the engine stopping and we'll fall out of the sky and die". I tried to explain to her that wasn't how it happens. That we could easily glide to a suitable landing spot, but all my coxing didn't make her feel any better.

On this particular flight we were flying east at about 9500 feet having just flown over Idyllwild Ca. I pointd to the mud flats to the east near the Salton Sea and said, you see that area there. If the engine stopped right now, that's where we'd land.

She argued with me and remained terrified. So I did the only thing I could. I said "Here, hold my beer"... (ok, just joking)

I pulled the power and shut the engine off. After about 10 seconds she reaized we weren't falling to the ground but floating along silently and smoothly.

Almost 20 minutes and about 20 miles later, we made a picture perfect greased on landing in the dry mud flats.

That forever solved her fears of flying in small planes. After that she couldn't get enough of flying.

PJ

Back