Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Grumman Tiger/ Cheetah/ Traveler

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Diamond

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Comanche

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
I like the resemblance. The Cirrus is the hot, new SEL piston aircraft. The RV10 is the kit builder's interpretation of same.

The major difference is construction technique. What's the same is basic configuration. Both perform similarly. One is half the cost plus lots of sweat equity.

I've never flown a Cirrus but I hear a fair amount of carping about it's handling characteristics - probably overblown by haters. No one carps about the handling of the '10 because it's just so sweet.

I like the pic for another reason as well; I took my first C150 lessons in the hangar to the right way back in 1970. Taking the bus to this airport for lessons is what motivated me to get my drivers license.

In the 30s and 40s, my Grandfather used to take my Mother to watch the airplanes along the fence to the left. She took me there to do the same in the 50s and 60s. She took her first flight in Tigressa the day this picture was taken. I'm glad she's still able to fly in it with me today. The O2 tank I recently installed comes in handy for that.

Who can identify the airport?

I have to agree. The RV-10 is a sweet plane. If I sell the mooney and go experimental, the 10 is definitely on my short list.

I like the resemblance. The Cirrus is the hot, new SEL piston aircraft. The RV10 is the kit builder's interpretation of same.

The major difference is construction technique. What's the same is basic configuration. Both perform similarly. One is half the cost plus lots of sweat equity.

I've never flown a Cirrus but I hear a fair amount of carping about it's handling characteristics - probably overblown by haters. No one carps about the handling of the '10 because it's just so sweet.

I like the pic for another reason as well; I took my first C150 lessons in the hangar to the right way back in 1970. Taking the bus to this airport for lessons is what motivated me to get my drivers license.

In the 30s and 40s, my Grandfather used to take my Mother to watch the airplanes along the fence to the left. She took me there to do the same in the 50s and 60s. She took her first flight in Tigressa the day this picture was taken. I'm glad she's still able to fly in it with me today. The O2 tank I recently installed comes in handy for that.

Who can identify the airport?

Correct if wrong. The Cirrus is a $400k all carbon fiber high performance aircraft. The RV is metal, rivets more in the vain of a Zodiak.

attachment.php

Renting was financially ruinous if I wanted to maintain a reasonable currency, so I decided to buy. I bought Carlson because it was cheap, while resembling an airplane.

If I manage to put just 50 hours a year on Carlson, then the flight hour cost is about $35, including parking rental, insurance, MX, and fuel. I'm going to amortize the purchase price fully in less than 3 years of flying it.

My dream plane is FD CTLS. Unfortunately it costs anywhere between 7 and 10 times more than Carlson.
Do you base it at AEG?

I own the one with the clean tailwheel :rolleyes:

037.jpg

Correct if wrong. The Cirrus is a $400k all carbon fiber high performance aircraft. The RV is metal, rivets more in the vain of a Zodiak.
In terms of materials, generally correct.

Zodiaks are fine aircraft but vanity is not a characteristic I would associate with them. They are kind of utilitarian looking, ugly to some eyes. Limited fairing of components and in particular, the riveting is mostly pull riveting or aircraft grade pop rivets.

The RV10 is flush riveted; no bumps, no holes. While it is an aluminum aircraft with thousands of rivets just ask a builder what the most challenging parts are and they will tell you it's the composites. The optimal way to get the smooth lines of the composite Cirrus is to use composites. The cabin top, cowling, pants, tips, and tail fairings are composites. The mix of materials and construction techniques are optimized for the kit builder and cross country performance.

BTW, the airport is Pittsburgh's Allegheny County, KAGC.

It was done in early 2000s by the previous owner, but yes, I do like it better than the "shotgun" panel in another Comanche I used to fly.

Some of the electronics are showing their age (ie the 480) but I like the 480 better than the 430.

I think the light colored background does a lot aesthetically as well.

Columbia 300. Man I love that plane.

It was done in early 2000s by the previous owner, but yes, I do like it better than the "shotgun" panel in another Comanche I used to fly.

Some of the electronics are showing their age (ie the 480) but I like the 480 better than the 430.

I think the light colored background does a lot aesthetically as well.

IMO just getting an aluminum panel and a more standard layout modernizes the look of a panel quite a bit.

"Random" placement of instruments "ie like they came out of a shotgun". Typical of earlier Comanches (and other planes before the "standard six pack" became the standard arrangement.)

I heard it from someone else. Not sure if it's "standard" terminology.

I got my ppl three years ago. I first bought a 150 sold it six months later after flying it 100hrs.
I bought a c177b for an economical plane.
Then I wanted my high performance complex so I purchased a North American snj5.

Now I want my multi so I purchased a Douglas C-53 (DC3). It's a nice plane. I can take 19 of my friends to go for that $1000 hamburger :)

My next plane is a difficult choice. Part of me wants a new faster plane so I'm looking at a Cessna 400.
Although the fun side of me wants to get a BAC Strikemaster or a L39. Too many planes too many choices.

But at the moment three planes are enough. With what I paid just for the insurance on the dc3 this year I could have bought another c150.

Planes are fun. Buy what you can afford to fly, and fly it!

6erysa4y.jpg

abyhesuv.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow is this real?? You got a dc-3 for multi that's cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how much is the going rate [w/ labor] these days to re-arrange a certified can into standard six pack layout? Is there any significant additional cost to re-arranging the throttle cables to the standard T->P->M arrangement?

how much is the going rate [w/ labor] these days to re-arrange a certified can into standard six pack layout? Is there any significant additional cost to re-arranging the throttle cables to the standard T->P->M arrangement?

It depends on the panel, some are quick and easy, some are quite involved. I'd say between $400 and $2000 for the panel. The quadrant can be more difficult, but I can't think of a reason to do it, it's no big deal, I've flown both never been an issue, different heights, different textures.

With everything going glass, it's hard to imagine a worse investment than spending AMUs to rearrange steam gauges.

Comanche 250, speed, load carrying for a family of 4 and fuel burn

Attachments

• 2014-07-13 07.57.34.jpg
    2014-07-13 07.57.34.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
Back