What do you keep in your hangar?

radioguy01

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
radioguy01
Hi all -

I've just secured my hangar. It's a nice T hangar, but "on the end", so the T is actually more of a L, so it has that extra square of space where the bottom of the T would be. Unfortunately they put a structural support there so it's extra room, but not entirely usable for planes.

Anyway. What kind of stuff do you keep out in the hangar? Would any electronics stay good out there? I'm assuming the hangar is waterproof, but obviously there is moisture and uncontrolled temperatures. Would a computer survive ok in a hangar? A TV? (I know, I know, just asking.)

Thanks

We've got people at CJR who keep computers in their hangars. Doesn't seem too adversely affected. I just carry my lap top. I don't know why a TV wouldn't fare as well (these days they're just computer monitors anyhow). My CJR hangar has a small sofa, a table and couple of chairs, a fridge, an air compressor, workbench, tools, and just random junk.

At my NC26 hangar I have heat, a sink (hot and cold water), air compressor, dust collector (for the attached woodshop), an HDTV projector, powered speakers (for movies), my 24' boat on it's trailer, various tools and maintenance supplies for the plane and boat, Margy's plants with their lights and drip irrigation, etc...

I'm in a T with asphalt floor - the expensive box hangars are epoxy. So with horrendous storms, I get a small pond/ice rink in the back corner. Hence nothing exept the airplane in on the ground Everything is at least 3 inches off the floor eventho only a small corner gets water.

Right wall - table, small workbench, small refrigerator on table
Back wall - lots of shelves with tools, wheel pants, crates (Pilots n Paws transports), couple cases of oil, big garbage can, cleaning supplies, etc
Left wall - desk, microwave on desk, bike.

I really want to move the fridge by the microwave but power on the left wall requires the overhead lights to be on (don't ask - county hangar and will not re-wire their problem). No big deal to plug in the microwave when I need it, but for 6 months of the year that fridge needs to be on 24/7.

Last edited:
Just remember to keep any electrical appliances (beer frig, air compressor) up at least 4' above the floor. Gas fumes are heavier than air so any fuel tank leak will "sink to" the floor. You don't want your compressor or frig blowing up the neighborhood when they kick on.

What part of the country are you in?
If northern, do you have heat?

Torpedo heater pointed at the work area.

Basically, I have a full shop with an aircompressor, die grinders, woukd benches, shelves, drills, grinders, buffers, all kinds of hand tools, frig, microwave, Home away from home.

Last edited:
I have a few pet spiders and some dust balls. I also keep a compressor, a fridge and some tools. My headsets stay in the plane. I don't have any leaks, but the dust isn't particularly healthy for a computer. I mostly just use my iPad.

Is there any faux paus of having a BBQ pit at your hangar?

C 140 getting a new engine and panel. Formula 1 racer getting some mods. RV7 ready to inspect. 67 Dodge van project. Workbenches, tools, storage, fridge with water and beer. Fully insulated with a 250,000btu furnace so I always get to work in a t-shirt. The Super Cub will be in it next week also. I need another hangar! Don

What do you keep in your hangar?
My airplane. :rolleyes:

I also have an air compressor, water hose and cleaning supplies for washing/ waxing plane. There is a radio/cassette player but no computer or TV. I always have my iPad with me when flying so no need for a computer beyond that.

Last edited:
My hangar: Unheated, but with electricity and seals well - I don't even get any bugs in there. Electric bifold door with manual locks.

Contents: An old bench seat from a van left by the previous occupants, some furniture (cabinets, dresser, etc), a bucket that I use for trash in the summer and urea (solid form!) in the winter, a snow shovel, good overhead lighting (incandescent and halogen), several extension cords to get the power where I want it, a tiedown kit my uncle built for OSH, a couple of battery minders... And, oh yeah, an airplane. :D

Hi all -

I've just secured my hangar. It's a nice T hangar, but "on the end", so the T is actually more of a L, so it has that extra square of space where the bottom of the T would be. Unfortunately they put a structural support there so it's extra room, but not entirely usable for planes.
I have the same thing, the L at the end is where we park my wife's boat

On ours what looked like a structural member, on closer inspection didn't have any bolts holding one end, so I took it out and opened up the space for projects. Also good for picnics.

Attachments

• hangar photo.jpg
    hangar photo.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 47
  • hangar rainy day.jpg
    hangar rainy day.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 56
Well, today I should be adding a well cared for 150 to my hangar!

well if this isn't your talk, I don't know what is.

Not much in my t-hangar except two empty tables.

Staying prepared to move to cheaper rent, but none seems to be had within a reasonable drive, thanks to the local red hot economy. Can barely get my C-182 into this $650/month small hangar at KMAF.

Getting jealous hearing all this stuff y'all can keep in your hangars. At my T hangar we can't have much at all. A table, standup tool closet, Rey small air compressor, small office fan, and a battery tender.
With those I about max out what my lease allows me to have lol

Twin Comanche
Air compressor
Fridge
Microwave
Toaster oven
BBQ Grill
Aircraft tug (retired mower)
Workbench with tools
"Flight planning" table
Blow up doll
Various lubricants (aircraft)