What do you guys think of this car?

I know automotive turbos have gotten more reliable but I would still be very hesitant to buy one out of warranty.

I had a supercharged (not turbocharged) Mercedes that was wonderful!

-Skip

Turbo cars are a lot more reliable than they used to be. Subaru makes good cars, as well. The only issue I have with buying a used one is that most people will beat on the car, and then shut it off immediately, which is hard on the turbo. When it breaks, it's expensive to fix.

The turbo station wagon makes sense - it's practical and fun.

I don't know how much those things go for, but if the price seems reasonable and it's in good shape, go for it.

My next "go wherever the heck i want plane/car" is this:

www.milnermotors.com

Met the guy at the NY Auto Show. Looks like it'll be about 4 more years if it ever even makes it, though the guy sounded extremely confident that it was going to happen.

Turbo Station wagon reminds me of the Family Truckster from Family Vacation.

My seester has a Subaru wagon of similar vintage, it is very nice, solid, fast, etc. In-town gas mileage ain't nothin' to brag about, but on the road is good. Excellent drive train in marginal wx (AWD).

The "24 [mpg] in suburban driving" is, I think, a fantasy. 27 on the highway, *maybe* if the cruise is set and speed is not too high, but real-world "suburban" driving will likely yield about 18-ish. YMMV (literally), but if the buy is predicated upon significant improvements in gas mileage (as so many are these days), I would not count on that unless it is replacing something big and heavy.

Be SURE there is a qualified shop close by- a good one for warranty service (if any warranty is left), and good independent shop for after (because dealer pricing is remarkably high).

I have a friend who just ordered one of those. It's going to take a YEAR before she gets it. Can't buy them off the lot. Cute though. :D

Cute, indeed.

For use in anything but true urban areas, silly...

...but cute.

If I lived in San Fran or NYC and had to have a car, maybe... but the mileage just ain't that great. For the money, get a Mazda 3.

The subi is not a bad car at all, and they handle very well in the snow, which I'm sure he gets plenty of in Ohio.

In response to those that mentioned good commuter cars, (hope this is not a repost) there is a new car company out of california that are selling all electric cars later this year, and hybrids next year that will get 300 mpg. The name of the company is aptera, which supposedly is Greek for "wingless flight."

www.aptera.com

Cute, indeed.

For use in anything but true urban areas, silly...

...but cute.

If I lived in San Fran or NYC and had to have a car, maybe... but the mileage just ain't that great. For the money, get a Mazda 3.

Well..she lives in Austin, traffic here is terrible. But I think she's buying more for "advertising" than anything else. They tend to attract crowds, and she's going to have it wrapped in her business logo.

Back