What do you folks think about the new Mooney M10J?

I bought a new car with a diesel this year and can find no drawbacks - a 4500 pound sedan getting 45 MPG, beats a Prius all to hell.

I like the idea of a diesel in an airplane, but not $60k diesel engines that can't be overhauled. We are a mess.

The normal person will never run out a 3000 hr engine. Remember, Pt-91 never needs an overhaul, you can just repair and replace parts indefinitely (as long as the engine is supported), so the issue is not really as severe as it may seem.

You guys killed my buzz about a screaming turbine in the 180 with a Beta prop! :sad:

You guys killed my buzz about a screaming turbine in the 180 with a Beta prop! :sad:

If you want to build one for buzz purposes, have at it, we'd all like a ride. Just don't expect anyone to follow you down that path, it's just not practical.

I wouldn't want to offer an uninformed opinion. Send one over here for a few months for my evaluation and then I can give you an honest opinion.:)

Its too bad we cant fly all these planes, just try them out.

:confused: There hasn't been a civilian plane I wanted to "try out" that I haven't been able to. Especially new planes, dealers will demo them at the drop of a hat in my experience.

Nice looking airplane, but the cruise speed of 160 kts, 42 gallons fuel, and 500 mile range is rather lacking. Would like to see WB info.

Nice looking airplane, but the cruise speed of 160 kts, 42 gallons fuel, and 500 mile range is rather lacking. Would like to see WB info.

You have to remember, this plane is first and foremost a trainer. It is supposed to be a "step up" plane to the M20 Ovation and Acclaim and likely one day, whatever replaces them. It is not meant to replace those planes, nor are they even trying to outdo the M20J / 201s of the past. It has a very specific mission- train pilots in China. If anybody else wants one, that's great, but pilot training first.

I still think I prefer the Panthara at least on paper. If their numbers are correct, 700 + useful load with full tanks, about 10 gph, 170 + knots, and the chute for what it is worth. Plus, using the tried and true Lycoming 540, but putting in one that already has a mogas stc on it. Stock up on that $2 per gallon gas. In many ways, it sounds like the spiritual successor to the Mooney 20J.

Its too bad we cant fly all these planes, just try them out.

I think you are referring to like a car dealer. You can just go to a lot (Airport) and say this plane is pretty cool can I test fly it. (And pay of course) I wouldn't mind going up in a few planes, (Mooney is one of them).

I still think I prefer the Panthara at least on paper. If their numbers are correct, 700 + useful load with full tanks, about 10 gph, 170 + knots, and the chute for what it is worth. Plus, using the tried and true Lycoming 540, but putting in one that already has a mogas stc on it. Stock up on that $2 per gallon gas. In many ways, it sounds like the spiritual successor to the Mooney 20J.

Those numbers aren't right. You will be burning more than 10 gph in the gas version (the only version that actually exists today to my knowledge) of the Panthera. The Panthera is a very different plane. It was designed from the get go to be a personal airplane. The M20J is trainer. Different missions, so different design.

The Pipistrel people definitely benchmarked the M20J in the beginning, but now that they have been forced into a bigger engine, it's sort in another class.

You have to remember, this plane is first and foremost a trainer. It is supposed to be a "step up" plane to the M20 Ovation and Acclaim and likely one day, whatever replaces them. It is not meant to replace those planes, nor are they even trying to outdo the M20J / 201s of the past. It has a very specific mission- train pilots in China. If anybody else wants one, that's great, but pilot training first.

It is grossly over priced as a training aircraft.

Is it? There's a lot of other costs that go into training beyond the acquisition costs of the aircraft. Cessna tried to build a "cheap" trainer and nobody wanted it. If there was a real market for a new, $150k trainer somebody would be making it in volume. In the meantime Cirrus, Mooney, and Cessna are selling to the few people out there that actually want a new light piston single. I'm glad somebody is out there buying them, too, so that we can have their depreciated hand-me-downs 20 years later.

I doubt it, Chinese wouldn't have bought the company and then announced this plan soon after. I'm wondering if they'll be manufacturing here or end up moving the line over there.

My gut says they will be made here..........for awhile and then they'll be made where the majority of products are made.
As for the all new Mooney M10 it is "all new", it is composite not aluminum, it's not advertised as the fastest production made piston single, so I don't compare it to an Ovation, Bravo, Acclaim or any other Mooney cause it's all new. Do I like it? I think it looks good, not as good as the M20 series but that's my opinion. If I were to fly a plastic airplane I would prefer a Lancair, that's me.

What many don't seem to realize is that Avgas is extremely expensive and hard to get in most of the world. I was in Africa three months ago. $22 a gallon for 100LL in Niamey.

The people that buy these diesel four seaters have long term costs in mind way past the initial outlay.

Airplane looks more like a lancair,hope it works out for them. Diesel option is not time to overhaul but time to replacement.

Here is a fun fact!

If you guys went to Sun and Fun and picked up a Mooney Brochure look on the left side they mentioned that they have an office in China, CA
I thought to myself, I didn't know there was a city in California named China!?! I think they meant Chino.....Or did they? Hmmmmmmm.

;)
Here is a fun fact!

If you guys went to Sun and Fun and picked up a Mooney Brochure look on the left side they mentioned that they have an office in China, CA
I thought to myself, I didn't know there was a city in California named China!?! I think they meant Chino.....Or did they? Hmmmmmmm.

It's generally the area bordered by Broadway, Kearny, Bush and Powell streets in San Francisco.

Saw one article that said M20/Ovation/Acclaim building will stay in Kerrville, and M10 will be designed in California but ultimately built in China.

I bought a new car with a diesel this year and can find no drawbacks - a 4500 pound sedan getting 45 MPG, beats a Prius all to hell.

I like the idea of a diesel in an airplane, but not $60k diesel engines that can't be overhauled. We are a mess.

The Prius V is an excellent choice. 41-42 MPG , very comfortable, seats four and luggage with room to spare, nice interior, good sounds, GPS, plenty of pep, cruises the interstate at 75- 80 all day long. We really like it. Apparently you've never driven one. Diesels are for kenworths. As for Mooneys , the 201 is my choice. That new thing is ugly, slow, and way overpriced!

The Prius V is an excellent choice. 41-42 MPG , very comfortable, seats four and luggage with room to spare, nice interior, good sounds, GPS, plenty of pep, cruises the interstate at 75- 80 all day long. We really like it. Apparently you've never driven one. Diesels are for kenworths. As for Mooneys , the 201 is my choice. That new thing is ugly, slow, and way overpriced!

I was sneering at one of my coworkers as I passed him on the freeway in his Prius. I quit sneering when he passed me up in the HOV lane while I was stopped in traffic.

;)

It's generally the area bordered by Broadway, Kearny, Bush and Powell streets in San Francisco.

About the only aviation in that part of California has to do with going up in the air and then exploding in pretty colors.;)

Saw one article that said M20/Ovation/Acclaim building will stay in Kerrville, and M10 will be designed in California but ultimately built in China.

Long term, this is likely true. Initially they say that M10 production will be in Chino (with an "o") and that further production will be started in China (with an "a") However, since this plane's whole primary reason for existence is to be a trainer in China, I would expect production to go there quite rapidly.

Because to my knowledge, China and the US do not yet have a reciprocal certification agreement like we do with Europe, planes that are built and certified in China will not be considered certified here. For this reason I suspect they will do as Cessna did and have the majority of the plane made in China, but final assembly done at Chino and get US certification that way.

They say that want to have M20 production in China too, but I suspect that will never happen. I believe M20 production will remain at Kerrville until they someday announce the "M30" or some such that will succeed the M20 and Kerrville manufacturing will come to an end. It too may become an assembly and certification station as well though.

And apparently you have never driven a modern diesel car. The ones for sale in Europe do beat the Prius all to hell and thus why Prius sales over there are poor.

My wife has a hybrid Ford Fussion, and I have a diesel VW Jetta. My Jetta beats her car by by 3 or 4 mpg consistently.

And apparently you have never driven a modern diesel car. The ones for sale in Europe do beat the Prius all to hell and thus why Prius sales over there are poor.

Fortunately I don't live in Europe so sales over there don't interest me. The Prius V. ( remember I stated the V model) is a great car, inexpensive to buy, compared to many diesels, regular gas much cheaper than diesel, etc. Very well designed.

Here is a fun fact!

I didn't want you guys to think I was just making stuff up!

20150502_104410.jpg

I'll say it is! You could buy a very nice aeronca champ for 30 grand and learn a lot more, be a better pilot!

You don't understand how airline pilots are taught do you? These planes are intended to supply pilot factories in China to meet the minimum standards of the FAA in the fastest possible time. They are also required to produce the maximum number of graduates.

There is no place in this curriculum for a 40 year old Aeronca Champ.

You don't understand how airline pilots are taught do you? These planes are intended to supply pilot factories in China to meet the minimum standards of the FAA in the fastest possible time. They are also required to produce the maximum number of graduates.

There is no place in this curriculum for a 60 year old Aeronca Champ.

FTFY.

Back