What do you do with fuel from pre-flight

I have yet to see a specific place to dump stumped fuel. If it isn't contaminated, I put it back in via a gatts

If the sample is good I put the fuel back in the tank. I would put it in my tug but my tug is electric, and I think that might be kinda explosive.

Times have changed. If you think dumping fuel on the ramp is bad ask your float instructor what to do with the sample...

IF the sump sample is good, why not put it back where it came from?

The environmental hazard from dumping avgas on the ramp is the possiblity that lead residue could be transported from the surface via rainfall runoff to some sort of surface water source or aquifer. The liquid petroleum component disperses in to the atmosphere almost immediately. The quantity of such is less than would normally evaporate from the tanks anyway.

In reality, you avoid no environmental risk from lead at all from not dumping avgas on to the ramp, simply because it's going to end up on the ground eventually anyway, after being dispersed in the air after combustion.

In reality, you avoid no environmental risk from lead at all from not dumping avgas on to the ramp, simply because it's going to end up on the ground eventually anyway, after being dispersed in the air after combustion.

But over a far greater area and not concentrated in a place that can be declared contaminated and require a cleanup that will bankrupt your airport.

I put mine back in the plane (with GATTS jar). The airport provides disposal cans at various places around the field for those who don't chose to do that.

The environmental hazard from dumping avgas on the ramp is the possiblity that lead residue could be transported from the surface via rainfall runoff to some sort of surface water source or aquifer. The liquid petroleum component disperses in to the atmosphere almost immediately. The quantity of such is less than would normally evaporate from the tanks anyway.

Unless you burn mogas. ;)

I would not want to dump it simply due to wasted money.

Assuming $5/GAL...that's 4 cents an OZ.

Assuming 1-2 OZs per fuel drain that can add up over time.

I like the idea of putting it into equipment that is more tolerant.

If I owned a plane I'd save the fuel for my lawnmower or leaf blower.

I just drain with a GATS jar and then put it back in the plane. I would likely not purposefully dump the fuel on the ground, since I'm a bit of a hippie.

However, I've had instances where the sump continues to drain against my will and spills fuel everywhere. I've also spilled some fuel when trying to dump the fuel into an already very full tank. It just leaks everywhere. D'oh!

In my old BMW E30, I replaced the fuel pump but forgot the gasket. I was filling her up and noticed that it was taking an unusually large amount of fuel. I looked down and it's pouring out everywhere. Whoops! That was a scary drive home.

Another vote for the GATS jar. I can take a BIG sample, and not waste a drop. If there's water or sediment, I can still pour the fuel back into the tank and the screen will keep the crud out. It's big enough that I can watch as I pour, to make SURE any non-avgas stays in the jar.

Not a hippie, just a cheapskate... and I hate to see any fuel wasted.

It's leaded gasoline. Lead is pretty nasty stuff. I don't want to contribute to putting any more into the groundwater (or storm drain runoff) than I can avoid. It may not be in the FARs, but it's likely addressed somewhere in your local or state laws.

To me, it's not a matter of being so cheap that I need to re-use an ounce of (uncontaminated) fuel, but that I'm not so lazy to figure out what to do with a jar full of toxic waste.

No way I'm pouring that in the ground. Most airports I've seen (east coast) have big signs about all the laws you are violating if you dump gas, and they have a collection area if you can't or won't re-use.

I agree and this is what I do

I flick it airborne 2 feet in front of me and ignite it:eek:

Just kidding:goofy:

Carrying a lighter onto a ramp... isn't that terrorism nowdays? Your only allowed to carry those onto airlines.

In my old BMW E30, I replaced the fuel pump but forgot the gasket. I was filling her up and noticed that it was taking an unusually large amount of fuel. I looked down and it's pouring out everywhere. Whoops! That was a scary drive home.

Glad you didn't live in Florida when you pulled off that ( oops.)... The hippies there would have slapped you with a 50,000 dollar fine for a single event... http://www.dot.state.fl.us/aviation/environment.shtm.

That hippie thing cuts both ways..:yes::eek:

if its clean i dump it back in the tank. if not i usually throw the sample in a manner that most of it atomizes before it hits the ground.

Back