What do you do when you're class Bravo...

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
...and barely have enough traffic to justify being a Charlie?

(This is pretty cool, actually)

"Kansas City International Pancake Breakfast Fly-in"
Topic: MCI Controllers will be serving breakfast to encourage camaraderie and discussion between local area pilots and controllers.
On Saturday, September 27, 2014 at 09:00
880 Mexico City Avenue

Kansas City, MO 64153
Select Number:
CE0557676
Description:
MCI will be having monthly fly-in breakfasts for the flying public to participate in. Half "Operation Rain Check"- half breakfast meeting, this event is a chance for you to get in your aircraft and do what you love. The purpose of this meeting is to get you flying into Kansas City International Airport to remove some of the "large unapproachable facility" stigma. After landing at MCI, you will get to talk to air traffic controllers face to face about the approach you just flew. You can discuss any questions or concerns in real time.
To view further details and registration information for this seminar, click here.
The sponsor for this seminar is: MCI ATCT
The FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) is committed to providing equal access to this meeting/event for all participants. If you need alternative formats or services because of a disability, please communicate your request as soon as possible with the person in the 'Contact Information' area of the meeting/event notice. Note that two weeks is usually required to arrange services.
The following credit(s) are available for the WINGS/AMT Programs:
n/a

I like it. If they want to increase GA traffic flow though the solution is simple: Put a self serve fuel farm in an appropriate location for easy access and quick departure and make it the cheapest fuel in the region. A big operation like MCI could easily do that.

Sorry to be a spoiler, but the only way to visit Kansas City is to fly into KMKC Downtown Wheeler. It is literally downtown, which is what you really want to visit. MKC was for TWA what DFW is for American today. It is strictly GA now. So imagine if they built another airport in Dallas and all the airlines moved there from DFW leaving DFW for GA only. Kansas City Live is an entire city block that faces inward on a live entertainment square that is always featuring live music surrounded by dozens of great restaurants and pubs. Hotels are reasonably priced and great quality. We think it's one of the best GA destinations in the USA.

Sorry to be a spoiler, but the only way to visit Kansas City is to fly into KMKC Downtown Wheeler. It is literally downtown, which is what you really want to visit. MKC was for TWA what DFW is for American today. It is strictly GA now. So imagine if they built another airport in Dallas and all the airlines moved there from DFW leaving DFW for GA only. Kansas City Live is an entire city block that faces inward on a live entertainment square that is always featuring live music surrounded by dozens of great restaurants and pubs. Hotels are reasonably priced and great quality. We think it's one of the best GA destinations in the USA.

True, but not everyone is looking for KC as a destination. Most people flying in the vicinity of KC are passing by between Denver/ski towns and the NE. If a Class B wants/needs the business/movements to justify whatever, the best way to do that is attract the flyovers with cheap fuel.

Here's a radical suggestion. Remove the class B and reduce it to a class C. Didn't see any invite from your friendly folks at TSA either. Why would I want to involve myself with MCI and all it's hassle when there is a so much better alternative a few miles away? Appreciate the thoughts there MCI controllers, but you are not the problem, and you don't have control over the solutions.

Last edited:
I like it. If they want to increase GA traffic flow though the solution is simple: Put a self serve fuel farm in an appropriate location for easy access and quick departure and make it the cheapest fuel in the region. A big operation like MCI could easily do that.

And don't charge tie down fees. And have a decent eatery on the field. And encourage GA flight schools to establish there. And build a lot of hangars and make them cheap to lease. And just treat VFR traffic with the same respect as IFR traffic.

I got that email today, too.

MCI controllers really want the business. At the last Operation Rain check they were practically begging us GA types to use them for practice approaches and VFR ops at their place. They do have a busy push time in the AM and early evening but the rest of the day they are bored out of their skulls. Anybody near MCI Bravo should take advantage of those guys.

I don't think an ATCT tour would be as interesting as a TRACON or ARTCC visit. I fly mostly cross country and almost always IFR so the folks I talk to most of the time are approach and center controllers. Does anyone know if this "rain check" visit is just the tower?

Tower and approach, or center,... Depends which you sign up for

And you don't need a Raincheck for a tower tour. Just call from the FBO the next time you are there and ask if you can come upstairs for a look-see.

Can you get Memphis style dry rub ribs there?

Back