What do you do for a living?

The sad thing is - I'm an Aviation Insurance Agent. I took 2 lessons and couldn't afford anymore. So now I'm saving up. It's slow going, but you have to start somewhere.

Formerly a miserable executive and consultant, now a very content horse farmer. Drive an old car, an old truck, an old tractor and ride young horses. If I can't fix it, it can't be repaired. No mortgage, no credit card debt, don't owe nobody nothin'.

Own a share in a real nice Cherokee. Amazing how affordable flying one is are when you share expenses 4 ways with 3 friends...

You can do anything you want to. The key is to have the guts to try.

What, no begging for rides? :confused:
My Cessna, she is sad. :(

Never got one in your Lear, :( I don't suspect there's much chance of getting one in your Cessna. :no:

Would that be the new SkyCatcher ??? :goofy:

Now if you can get your hands on a new Piaggio I'll beg on bended knees. :yes: with chocolates in hand.

Last edited:
Systems Administrator for the University of Wisconsin Computer Sciences Department.

--david

It sounds like it'll be a few years before you can really hit it hard but buy the Jeppeson Private Pilot book now so you can be occupied learning plus, treat yourself to a flight lesson every so often and make sure it's logged & signed in your logbook.

I am retired - retired - and RETIRED!! :) :)

In July, 1982, I retired from serving 21 years in the U.S.A.F. I then earned my college degree and following graduation went to work for a large financial/insurance company. Fifteen years later, I retired from there. I am now quickly approaching 65 and have already started receiving my SS benefits.

During the day, I watch others go to work.

I got my PP-ASEL in Sep 2003. Because of the type of flying my wife and I do (strickly for fun and searching for that $100 hamburger), there is no need to pursue an IR.

Unfortunately, I'm financially unable to purchase an airplane so my flying is limited to renting. At first, I tried to get at least 3 hours a month flying but with the recent increases in rental rates due to fuel costs, I will probably end up flying around 2 hours/month.

Best.

Piano player in a Nevada brothel ...

ok, I admit it - another IT weenie

Environmental remediation Project Manager for one of those big, mean and nasty mult-national oil compnaies (TOTAL SA - yes, it's French company :rolleyes:). Just doing my part to help clean up the environment! Mostly manage consultants, contractors and budgets. Spend a lot of time in Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado and New Jersey.

BTW - we really do appreciate you keeping those gas tanks filled! :D

Wife is a Special Education teacher, so between the two of us, the flying costs are doable, but for the first time in 8 years of ownership, the hourly cost of gas has exceeded all the other costs. Fly a '67 Cherokee 140, the Volkswagon of airplanes. Ain't all that fast or particularly sleek, but is reliable and has always got us where we want to go. A son who is a senior at American University and a daughter who will be a freshman at Emerson College this fall. If you think flying is expensive, try college education!

Gary

Environmental remediation Project Manager for one of those big, mean and nasty mult-national oil compnaies ...mostly manage consultants, contractors and budgets.

Ah. A fellow "cat herder" I see. :cheerswine:

BTW - we really do appreciate you keeping those gas tanks filled! :D

My pleasure, the company "fleet":

1 Suburban, 1 Tahoe, 1 F150 4WD, 1 Chevy 1500 4WD, 1 Buick Lucerne CSX, 1 Audi A6, and the newest, a Hyundai Sonata 4 banger (this one is for serving 67 concrete batch plants all over the state - gotta economize somewhere :)).

Formerly a miserable executive and consultant, now a very content horse farmer. Drive an old car, an old truck, an old tractor and ride young horses. If I can't fix it, it can't be repaired. No mortgage, no credit card debt, don't owe nobody nothin'.

Own a share in a real nice Cherokee. Amazing how affordable flying one is are when you share expenses 4 ways with 3 friends...

You can do anything you want to. The key is to have the guts to try.

This is type of stuff is looking more and more attractive as I get older...

Would that be the new SkyCatcher ??? :goofy:
So, ya traded that old, ugly Lear 55 for a new Skyhawk with G1000? :D
Funny what comes to mind when you say the name "Cessna"...

Now if you can get your hands on a new Piaggio I'll beg on bended knees. :yes: with chocolates in hand.
LOL, the catfish airplane. Kinda goofy looking but I hear it's fast.

1-private-jet.jpg

Ah. A fellow "cat herder" I see. :cheerswine:

My pleasure, the company "fleet":

1 Suburban, 1 Tahoe, 1 F150 4WD, 1 Chevy 1500 4WD, 1 Buick Lucerne CSX, 1 Audi A6, and the newest, a Hyundai Sonata 4 banger (this one is for serving 67 concrete batch plants all over the state - gotta economize somewhere :)).

LOL!! Sad but true! Had a meeting with the Natural Resource Trustee's on Wednesday - Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife, Texas Parks and Wildlife, Texas Environmental, Land Office... all brought their own lawyers, 25 people in a room and we couldn't even agree when to take the first break! None of the regulatory people had even reviewed the suit, reminded me of the Monty Python skit of "Bring me a Shruberry"!

With that fleet, you need your own oil well!!

Gary

Funny what comes to mind when you say the name "Cessna"...

1-private-jet.jpg

You wouldn't pick on 'em if you could see the inside. We had one stop here and I got the grand tour. HOLY COW it was beautiful (as all Italian stuff is :D) And a full sized person can stand up straight in the middle of the cabin.

PS 1/2 half the gas of a CJ and only a bit slower.

It's a beautiful airplane...real quiet from the inside so I hear. Avantair comes in with their aircraft to Panorama (HPN) all the time.

Got a tour of a Piaggio at Whitecourt, Alberta airport in 2006 as it was stopping by to drop off some Canadian oil execs. It was beautiful!

You wouldn't pick on 'em if you could see the inside.
I've seen the inside and I'll stick with my Cessna. :)

Got a tour of a Piaggio at Whitecourt, Alberta airport in 2006 as it was stopping by to drop off some Canadian oil execs. It was beautiful!
I thought I was the only one who had ever been to Whitecourt in a fixed wing aircraft. That place was helicopter central!

I don't really know what I do.

Mostly, I seem to be sitting around eating Lara Bars (the lemon, apple pie, or cinnamon role ones are my favorite, and there appears to be a never ending supply) and drinking whatever people have sitting on the table (usually some of that weird VitaminWater stuff). Sometimes, I say something, but usually, I'm busy looking at PoA :D

-Felix

Last edited:
IT consultant and Web designer. More of the latter than the former, lately.

Currently Director/Chief Law Enforcement Officer for a state regulatory investigative agency. Been with the agency for 5 years. Before that I was patrol officer/supervisor in the DFW area.

Live and work near/in Atlanta, for a company that provides consulting services for railroads all over the world. Derailment/collision investigations, studies, computer simulations, expert testimony. Mostly I do instrumentation on trains and tracks and locomotives for various studies.

I bought a a very ugly C-172L (aka the Red Baron) in 1997 for $20K, but hey, it's paid for now.

Look at my sig. There are priorities in life. My "new '97 F-150 has 225K miles and my airport car, a 1983 300D Turbodiesel Mercedes (bought for $2K 8 years ago has >400K miles.

My wife would jump for joy at the news of my selling the plane, but if I do, I'll probably never own another, so I'm hanging on as long as I can.

Currently Director/Chief Law Enforcement Officer for a state regulatory investigative agency. Been with the agency for 5 years. Before that I was patrol officer/supervisor in the DFW area.
You're not being very mouthy in your description... almost, kind of modest! :D

We have a customer who comes in with one once a week or so. It's pretty strange looking, to say the least. But, he says it flies pretty dang fast; beats the heck out of a C90.

This is type of stuff is looking more and more attractive as I get older...

If it's what you really want, don't wait. I was lucky in that I had some good success at a young age. But I left mahogany row 16 years ago, and have never looked back. I'll be turning 50 in September.

Life is too short to stand in a bucket of crap simply for the paycheck...

I've seen the inside and I'll stick with my Cessna. :)

You give up King Airs and Lears and don't like the Piaggio (the one I saw was a 2006 all done out in the best they build, sweeeeeeet) and want to stick to a "spam can". No disrespect meant to Spam. What ever are we gonna do with you Mari ??? :dunno:

No disrespect meant to Spam. What ever are we gonna do with you Mari ??? :dunno:
I happen to like Spam (the canned meat) too. :)

PS. I never said I didn't like the Piaggio, just that it is "goofy looking". I'm sure it's a fine airplane.

Last edited:
(So what do you people on here do for a living to make enough money to afford to fly? )

Airline guy. Used to be you made alot of $$$ and had plenty of time off to enjoy it but not quite so much anymore.

Ok the Piaggio is not the most common plane you'll ever see, but I just saw another one not more than a couple of hours ago. There we were heading back to VLL at 3000. We'd been in contact with DTW approach, but he'd just turned us loose and we switched to the CTAF. I looked to the left and sure enough there was a Piaggio at the same altitude and parallel to our path. As he passed us he turned in front of us and descended to maybe 2500 and then returned to approximately 3000 finally turning for the approach course at DTW. Cool plane. :)

Maybe we should start discussing the Mega Lotto instead. :yes:

I walked by one on the ramp in Santa Fe. I didn't have my camera, otherwise I'd have taken a picture.

It looked pretty cool sitting there on the ground. It's also much bigger than one would expect....

Back