What do YOU consider minimum in an IFR panel?

The KNS-80 doesn't bring a lot to the table. The RNAV(VOR/DME) approaches are few and disappearing rapidly, and you have to do a lot of plotter/chart work to use one over a distance. If you compare the difference in total installed cost for a KNS-80 versus a first-gen approach GPS like the KLN-89B, you'll see you get way more total bang with the GPS for not that much more total bucks.

Ok, I am a little confused and I don't want to make a mistake. My friend (the one selling me the KNS-80) has one in his plane and he says you can use the VOR, GS and DME independent of the RNAV, so it is a good value. I was hoping to get this done for about $3,000. I just got off the phone with the avionics shop and they are still working on my quote. If this isn't going to work, I need to know.

Ok, I am a little confused and I don't want to make a mistake. My friend (the one selling me the KNS-80) has one in his plane and he says you can use the VOR, GS and DME independent of the RNAV, so it is a good value. I was hoping to get this done for about $3,000. I just got off the phone with the avionics shop and they are still working on my quote. If this isn't going to work, I need to know.

$3k installed and certified for IFR? That would be about $2k cheaper than I'd figure for.

Yes, you can. But ask that shop for the installed price on a KLN-89B, and then compare what you get with that with what you get with a KNS-80 (even if you also have to price in addition of a GS to your existing nav radio). It won't be cheaper, but the extra capabilities may appear worth the extra cost. Make it a GPS/COMM like a Garmin 300XL, and you get the second comm, too, and you probably want that anyway for IFR training and operations.

$3k installed and certified for IFR? That would be about $2k cheaper than I'd figure for.

You might be right. I haven't seen the quote, yet. A guy can hope, though. I have my annual next month and my first annual (last year) was $11,000 (a bunch of nit picky stuff, no major issues. I guess my presale inspection could have been better). Depending on what that comes in at, it may stop me in my tracks or I might find that I have a little more to play with.

Based on my almost 40 years of instructing and observing other pilots in nearly 10,000 hours of cockpit experience, that puts you in an extremely small minority.

:dunno: 20+ years of hand flying many 12+hr days with no autopilot (most of it flying that you can't use an autopilot for anyway) I guess I learned how to use the trim. When I do use an AP, I find it boring as snot, like I said, better off in an airliner.

:dunno: 20+ years of hand flying many 12+hr days
That puts you up around 20,000 hours now, yes? How much of that was directly observing other pilots in that situation? As I said, there are some pilot for whom that is not fatiguing, but the number is very small.

I've heard it's boderline impossible to get the KNS-80 Certified for IFR, I believe there's only a few approaches left that would even need that certification. I'm going off memory here.

An 89B is interesting. I haven't priced them. I have a friend who will sell me KNS-80 pretty cheap and it is already yellow tagged. The labor is going to be more expensive than the equipment.

My entire system was $1,100 that's CDI, Annunciator and the GPS. The KY197 was 500 bucks, install was $1400 and I needed a couple of connector kits that ran me up to ~$3,000 bucks.

I've heard it's boderline impossible to get the KNS-80 Certified for IFR, I believe there's only a few approaches left that would even need that certification. I'm going off memory here.
I'm not sure what certification is needed. The unit is certified at the source, and the rest is just following the installation manual. As for the number of RNAV(VOR/DME) approachs, I believe there are 15 left, with two scheduled for decommissioning. However, the KNS-80 does have some value as a point-to-point navigator (not to mention as a VOR/ILS/DME unit) besides those approaches. I just don't think the value is enough to justify the cost if you can afford an early IFR GPS which gives so much more value for not that much more cost (maybe $5K vs $3K). And if you can get a KLN-89B with all accessories and installed for $3K (and I think Rusty found a really special deal), that would make it a no-brainer for me.

Last edited:
The indicator for the KNS80's still fetch a decent price since they work with the Garmin GPSes, that's why you won't find (m)any for sell with the indicator too.

That puts you up around 20,000 hours now, yes? How much of that was directly observing other pilots in that situation? As I said, there are some pilot for whom that is not fatiguing, but the number is very small.

Are you drinking today? Your reading comprehension skills today are dismal.

I'm not sure what certification is needed. The unit is certified at the source, and the rest is just following the installation manual. As for the number of RNAV(VOR/DME) approachs, I believe there are 15 left, with two scheduled for decommissioning. However, the KNS-80 does have some value as a point-to-point navigator (not to mention as a VOR/ILS/DME unit) besides those approaches. I just don't think the value is enough to justify the cost if you can afford an early IFR GPS which gives so much more value for not that much more cost (maybe $5K vs $3K). And if you can get a KLN-89B with all accessories and installed for $3K (and I think Rusty found a really special deal), that would make it a no-brainer for me.

per an avionics guy

Today, it's not worth getting the KNS80 certified for Area nav operations. The original STC was based on a PA30 and a 337 based on that is not good enough. The KNS80 installation manual has a special section for this purpose. It outlines what specific test that have to be done on the bench and what has to be done during the test flight. Diagrams, calculations and supplemental forms must be attached to the 337. It's almost like getting an STC from scratch.

As a VOR/ILS and DME system it's fine. The DME section is actually a KN62A unit attached at the top, without the DME display. KN62A's go for more than the KNS80's. Don't forget the little battery for memory retention, bottom left side, sort of hidden and sometimes corroded if left for too long.

The KNI520 has the OBS knob on the right side instead of the left. Could be a panel problem. Another ARINC indicator is the Collins 331H-3G which were "a dime a dozen" before the GNS430 compatibility secret got out. Again OBS knob on the right side.

If it meets the legal requirements for IFR flight in 91.205 and I have a portable GPS for backup, I'll fly just about anything. The one exception is that if it has a Venturi vacuum system vs an attached pump (like my personal airplane), I use the departure airport circling mins for my departure mins.

If the runway is 10,000 feet long just fly about 5000 feet of it at 80 knots and your gyros will be spinning!

kidding

Of course, the real reason is they're lazy.

Your lack of experience is showing.

:dunno: 20+ years of hand flying many 12+hr days with no autopilot (most of it flying that you can't use an autopilot for anyway) I guess I learned how to use the trim. When I do use an AP, I find it boring as snot, like I said, better off in an airliner.

Since you have 2500 hours, divide that by 20 years yields 125 hours a year average.

Not a lot of time to have accomplished all the aviation exploits you claim.

Last edited:
The indicator for the KNS80's still fetch a decent price since they work with the Garmin GPSes, that's why you won't find (m)any for sell with the indicator too.

I was looking at a KI-520 indicator ~$800. I will look into the 89B.
Ron, you mentioned i needed to add a GS receiver with an 89B?
John

I don't need anything for IFR.

Oh wait, I need the astray in the door panel, that's all I need.

The ashtray, and maybe this cup holder in the console, that's all I need.

The ashtray, the cup holder, and that hula girl on the glare shield, that's all I really, really, need.

I don't need one other thing, the astray, the cup holder, the hula girl, and well the autopilot.

That's it, not one other thing, not one, ever.

(movie joke for those that spend their evenings perusing the FAR/AIM)

Your original post indicated you are starting with one nav/comm with no GS. You'll need to be able to fly an ILS for the IR training and practical test. The KLN-89B has no VOR/ILS capability, just a GPS, and not a WAAS GPS which can provide the LPV capability which will fill the "precision approach" square for IR training and testing. Thus, to get to where you said you wanted to go, if you add a KLN-89B GPS, you'd have to add GS to your existing nav receiver/CDI to get full ILS on that.

OTOH, the KNS-80 has that built in, so adding a KNS-80 as your second nav unit would give you the precision approach capability you need, albeit minus the advantages of an IFR approach GPS. Either way, you'd almost certainly also want a second comm radio, too.

I was looking at a KI-520 indicator ~$800. I will look into the 89B.
John

You can't add a GS reciever to an 89B you can install something like a KN53 though. You'd need a KN72 VOR/LOC converter for the KN53 and the 89B to exist on the same CDI though. FWIW it took me about a year to find a transplant system at a reasonable cost...

panel.jpg

Here's my setup, I only have the 1 NAV (The KX155 w/GS ) the GPS and a 2nd comm (KY197) I bought a KN53 to add as a second NAV but wound up selling it yesterday actually as i decided it wasn't worth it.

Last edited:
You can't add a GS reciever to an 89B you can install something like a KN53 though. You'd need a KN72 VOR/LOC converter for the KN53 and the 89B to exist on the same CDI though. FWIW it took me about a year to find a transplant system at a reasonable cost...

I knew that. I have an MX-12 NAV/COM, which would need a new indicator (MC-60), but I could add a GS receiver to that. It is way over to the right of the panel, though (actually right side of right seat). Not ideal. This is getting messy. Everytime I look at this, I end up thinking a GNS 430 would fix it. I could pull out the MX-11 COM and the NAV 11 (which I was anyways). The price always seems to creep up. :confused:

I guess I will keep saving my pennies.

And that's a common thread...

Well, I went through this excercise about a year ago and ended up thinking I would need to rework my shotgun panel and install a 430 and shelved it. Then recently, I started thinking I really wanted to start my IFR training and I wouldn't necessarily need to fly in extreme IFR conditions, just be able to train and maybe occasionally bust through a cloud layer (after I get my cert, of course). So, then I thought, how cheap could I do it? I figured if I could do it for under $5,000, it would probably be worth it (if you factor in the cost of a plane rental, if I didn't), plus, then I could keep current after I get my cert. The math really doesn't work, though, if I let it creep up to $10,000, even though I end up with a better panel.:dunno:

Last edited:
If we keep talking you'll be signing paperwork on a new Hawker 400. :)

Hey I asked about an HSI and by the end of the thread I was being sold a Lear.

If we keep talking you'll be signing paperwork on a new Hawker 400. :)

Hey I asked about an HSI and by the end of the thread I was being sold a Lear.

"For just 25 cents more, you can have a large"

"For just 25 cents more, you can have a large"

My point is for about the same $ you can get an 89B, 155XL (I've seen some deals on 300XLs) or similar instead of a KNS80 and I think it would be money better spent. I was faced with the same delima as you and elected to do the 89B but I did already have a nice KX155 with glideslope attached so that wasn't something I had to consider. If I had intentions of a long term relationship with my plane, I'd have put a 430W in to complement my KX155 and slept well. I don't see myself owning this plane in 2 years so I was hesitant to drop that much $ in it for a year or so worth of use. The 89B hurt bad enough but I got it all at the right price, I'd do it again.

Rusty has THE perfect panel. That's exactly how I would fly. IFR GPS, dual comm, one nav w gs for backup. My warrior has DME, a nav, a com, a nav/comm , ADF and the 89B. I'd chuck the ADF, the DME and one nav and still retain all the capes I desire.

At a minimum I'd say in this day and age, outside of a nav/comm, I must have the enroute portion of an IFR GPS. Flying VORs in the era of $4+/gal gas is no longer palatable to me. And cross tuning falls in the category of landing in reverse (tailwheels). I could do it but why would I when the risks of getting it wrong doesn't pay off when I get it right. :D

My 89B is on the far right and I hate it because it is the single one piece of avionics that I use. I might as well fly from the right seat because that's where I spend 80% of the climb/enroute and descent portion looking. I actually fly with all my avionics off except the one comm and I keep the nav comm online for the neato factor or being able to monitor two frequencies at the same time and having the ability of flip flopping 4 frequencies...capability which I don't consider necessary nor would I had ever paid for if the airplane hadn't come that way lol. Literally the only time I would need any of my avionics would be if the 89B took a dump....and then I have a 196 under the seat that would make it look like I never lost a thing at all.

A kln 89B installed cost for 5K? I thought the installation cost was 5K itself, not accounting for annunciator, CDI and GPS head. If so, somebody give me the number of that shop because I'll need them in a couple years when I make an 89B installation on my next airplane. :D

My point is for about the same $ you can get an 89B, 155XL (I've seen some deals on 300XLs) or similar instead of a KNS80 and I think it would be money better spent. I was faced with the same delima as you and elected to do the 89B but I did already have a nice KX155 with glideslope attached so that wasn't something I had to consider. If I had intentions of a long term relationship with my plane, I'd have put a 430W in to complement my KX155 and slept well. I don't see myself owning this plane in 2 years so I was hesitant to drop that much $ in it for a year or so worth of use. The 89B hurt bad enough but I got it all at the right price, I'd do it again.

I am not disagreeing with you, but the GS thing probably adds another $1,000 to $1,500 and puts it in an undesireable location on the panel.

Rusty has THE perfect panel. That's exactly how I would fly. IFR GPS, dual comm, one nav w gs for backup.

:confused: How is the Nav w/GS Backup? It's the only box that gets you to the ground low isn't it?

Last edited:
prob g1000 w/out svt would be my minimum

I do, and I think he's wrong. SVT does not reduce the fatigue factor; an a/p does. If you're flying professionally in a single-pilot environment, fatigue is what gets you when you fly leg after leg after leg in a single day. If you're flying for fun and want to get somewhere, 8 hours of keeping the airplane straight and level in a single day leaves you exhausted, and SVT doesn't fix that, either. Finally, SVT doesn't keep the airplane upright and on course while you're dealing with other tasks such as charts, flight logs, or pubs, or trying to copy ATIS or interpret holding instructions. I'll take a/p over SVT any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I remember doing fill-in runs for Air Kentucky in the Aztec between Louisville, Owensboro, and Paducah. I'd max out my eight hours of flight time in 9-10 hours -- generally ended up making the jump from Standiford back to Bowman under Part 91 because my 135 hours were blown. Even on clear blue days, giving it to George at 3000 feet was a relief when flying six or more legs in one day all by myself, and that was when I was young and strong. Given the outside view, SVT wouldn't have made a drop of difference. Throw in weather and approaches, and the fatigue factor gets even worse.

Some of the research I'm reviewing shows that SVT does reduce workload, and fatigue, in IMC operations. I don't think it's anywhere as effective at fatigue reduction as an autopilot, but it's not zero, either.

This semester my research paper is on advanced cockpit technologies including both automation systems and situational awareness systems like SVT and traffic and weather and....

I was pleasantly surprised to find there is a fair amount of peer-reviewed research out there on the subjects, though it's pretty much all focused on crew-based turbine airplanes, not our bugsmashers.

Henning, I have had somewhat better luck than you have had on AP's. For me an AP is a must have item for any significant IMC, single pilot. Yes I can hand fly it if I have to and have had to due to AP failure one time in 4 years with this plane. (I have hand flown more than one time in 4 years) I find AP's very reliable. I doubt, though you may be right, that you can hand fly my plane better than George. It will fly a near perfect approach, it will capture and hold an enroute altitude with in 20 feet. Actually once captured in smooth air it will hold dead on altitude. It will maintain an IAS or verticle speed and capture the pre selected altitude with in 20 feet. I am not that good after 3 hours in the soup.

John, I think what many are trying to diplomatically tell you there is no cheap way to do it correctly. IMO the KNS 80 is not worth the installation cost if it was given to you. It was nice stuff in the early 80's. Its time has passed. But, since you are not going to do any serious IMC anyway in a 140 I think what ever is the cheapest to get your plane where you can do your training might be your best bet. All of us are good at spending another's money. For $45K I even have some suggestions:D Good luck!

Henning, I have had somewhat better luck than you have had on AP's. For me an AP is a must have item for any significant IMC, single pilot. Yes I can hand fly it if I have to and have had to due to AP failure one time in 4 years with this plane. (I have hand flown more than one time in 4 years) I find AP's very reliable. I doubt, though you may be right, that you can hand fly my plane better than George. It will fly a near perfect approach, it will capture and hold an enroute altitude with in 20 feet. Actually once captured in smooth air it will hold dead on altitude. It will maintain an IAS or verticle speed and capture the pre selected altitude with in 20 feet. I am not that good after 3 hours in the soup.

John, I think what many are trying to diplomatically tell you there is no cheap way to do it correctly. IMO the KNS 80 is not worth the installation cost if it was given to you. It was nice stuff in the early 80's. Its time has passed. But, since you are not going to do any serious IMC anyway in a 140 I think what ever is the cheapest to get your plane where you can do your training might be your best bet. All of us are good at spending another's money. For $45K I even have some suggestions:D Good luck!
:yeahthat: KNS-80 makes a great doorstop.

Tim, might be a little light for a good door stop. Maybe a better paper weight.:D

I don't need anything for IFR.

Oh wait, I need the astray in the door panel, that's all I need.

The ashtray, and maybe this cup holder in the console, that's all I need.

The ashtray, the cup holder, and that hula girl on the glare shield, that's all I really, really, need.

I don't need one other thing, the astray, the cup holder, the hula girl, and well the autopilot.

That's it, not one other thing, not one, ever.

(movie joke for those that spend their evenings perusing the FAR/AIM)

You forgot the thermos!

I have a single Garmin 480, no other panel mount radios. I do carry a handheld comm receiver and an iPad, which I consider acceptable backups if the 480 were to go titsup.

Back