What do you all think of this one?

Freaking GEORGOUS! If I ever get a low-wing, I want a Cherokee Six!

Of course I noticed there was no price listed, but that has to be what, over $100K?

That looks like one I would want to quickly schedule a visit to see and would bring my checkbook for a possible leaving of a deposit.

Looks good, Bill. The electric flaps are unfortunate and she's a little heavy, but not too bad. Verify the A/C works. Lots of PA-32s out there have inop air conditioning which means you're hauling a bag of rocks around. Minor issue is that the left yoke needs to be powdercoated. Also, check the vintage of the strikefinder. LED display or plasma?

tdager said:
Freaking GEORGOUS! If I ever get a low-wing, I want a Cherokee Six!

Of course I noticed there was no price listed, but that has to be what, over $100K?

they are asking $129.9k, which is right at vref.

Ken Ibold said:
Looks good, Bill. The electric flaps are unfortunate and she's a little heavy, but not too bad. Verify the A/C works.

I figure the under 1400lb useful is due to the A/C and electric flap motor. Not wanting that stuff, but not a deal breaker if the bird is otherwise good.

Ken Ibold said:
Lots of PA-32s out there have inop air conditioning which means you're hauling a bag of rocks around.

Oh, and what would be the cost of removing said bag of rocks if one wanted to?

Beautiful Bird Bill,
I also am in the market for a Cherokee Six but am not planning on buying until mid 07.

KT

Looks like a very nice plane - well cared for. You would certainly be getting nice paint, interior, electronics, and engine for less than the current owner paid for them. And cheaper than trying to do all that yourself to a project plane. This aircraft should move fast unless...

There's that note about replacing the strut due to a hard landing in '89. During the pre-buy you'll want to look at the spar under the middle seats and see what you can find through inspection ports in the wings. Also examine the logs for signs of Piper SB 1006 - it calls for an 8-year inspection of the spar by removal of the fuel tanks in all PA28's and PA32's. If the inspection isn't current in this plane I'd consider that a red flag. With damage that old chances are the spar has been looked at bunches of times - and it's certainly been test-flown - so the probability of finding a problem here is low. But you need to look.

Umm, also find out where the aircraft is with respect to Lycoming's various crankshaft AD's. With 610 SMOH the overhaul may have pre-dated the bad cranks. If not that crank should have been replaced already. The logs will tell you.

Regards,
Joe

Joe B said:
Looks like a very nice plane - well cared for. You would certainly be getting nice paint, interior, electronics, and engine for less than the current owner paid for them. And cheaper than trying to do all that yourself to a project plane. This aircraft should move fast unless...

Joe, thanks for the tips. I'm trying to contact the seller now to set up an appointment.

Also, ask the seller about the middle seats. I took another look at the photos to see if it was club or conventional seating in back. Doesn't look like the middle seats are in the plane at all. The specs say it's conventional (forward) seating so they probably took the seats out for the photos. But ask.

Regards,
Joe

Not familiar with the Altimatic autopilot, does it take it's signals off the turn coordinator or AI? If the AI, is there a back up vacuum? I would possibly look at changing out the AP to an S-Tec (or similar) since it is a good wing leveler in the event of a vacuum failure.

Also, at over 600 hours I would recommend replacing the vacuum pump if you are considering using this for serious IFR work.

Looks like a great plane. No other recommendations on top of what has already been made.

NC Pilot said:
Not familiar with the Altimatic autopilot, does it take it's signals off the turn coordinator or AI? If the AI, is there a back up vacuum? I would possibly look at changing out the AP to an S-Tec (or similar) since it is a good wing leveler in the event of a vacuum failure.

That autopilot is the Piper branded Century IIB. It's a single axis unit that will hold heading via the DG bug or just keep the wings level. It gets bank info from the 52D66 AI. If there is a radio coupler (didn't see one in the panel shots) it will track a VOR or GPS. There is no pitch function.

Bill, when looking at the exterior look closely at the rivets. I have seen several planes lately with a lot of rivets that have been sanded.
Ron

Back