What do we think about the lasers in DC?

Is the laser system protecting DC a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters
I can't get the video to work for some reason.

It sounds like they are saying they're going to light you up AFTER you bust the airspace. Why not put a small buffer (say a mile or two) in place depending on the location and speeds involved where if you're headed toward the border and likely to bust, you can have a chance to turn around before you're in trouble? Prevention is better than enforcement. Lit up but not crossing the line = no foul beyond 'pay attention don't be doing that again'.

I'm guessing they're coordinating with ATC on who can go in and who can't. Just curious, what happens if you've jumped through all the right hoops and ATC is happy and you get lit up anyway by the powers that be...or by the local practical jokers that the airliners were complaining about a few months back.

Disclaimer: I don't know squat about the system beyond that article (minus the video) and others have probably thought it out much better than I have.

It shouldn't be necessary in the first place, but since people keep screwing up and that's a threat to all of us, if it can be used to prevent violations (not advise pilots after the fact), I say go for it.

Last edited:
File this under, "we're doing something, really". I'm surprised by the poll numbers, I'd think less of you would think this a good idea. Better to be lit up than shot down, I guess.

But the crux is why the ADIZ in the 1st place? And why GA?

But ... Is the laser system protecting DC?
- Richard

But the crux is why the ADIZ in the 1st place? And why GA?

Why??? How can you question their motives? The people in D.C. are far more important than you or I. They are our politicians. How would we ever get along without them? We would be forced to have new elections, probably between several individuals that have absolutely no political experience. No, sir, you don't want a bunch of mere mortal citizens running this country. Do you know how much it would cost the PAC's to get these guys back on their side? What about the physical damage? Do you have any idea the damage that a light aircraft could do? Why, there was a Cessna that crashed on the WH lawn a few years ago, [ http://www-tech.mit.edu/V114/N40/crash.40w.html ],they are probably still trying to get the lawn back to it's former glory. Why indeed!!

Last edited:
Joe Williams said:

Does this system strike anyone else as being a waste of money?
It warns honest GA pilots from mistakenly entering an ADIZ, but does nothing else to ensure why the ADIZ was put there in the first place.

At best, a terrorist will use the VWS as confirmation of his location.

Oops.. end of rant

I think they are pure, unadulterated b*******. What a waste of time and money.

As I have said before, any terrorist worth his/her fuse could get around it.

mdreger said:
Why??? How can you question their motives? The people in D.C. are far more important that you or I. They are our politicians. How would we ever get along without them? We would be forced to have new elections, probably between several individuals that have absolutely no political experience. No, sir, you don't want a bunch of mere mortal citizens running this country. Do you know how much it would cost the PAC's to get these guys back on their side? What about the physical damage? Do you have any idea the damage that a light aircraft could do? Why, there was a Cessna that crashed on the WH lawn a few years ago,

ROFL.:rofl: Well said.

It would be great if they tell us what to do if we see the laser. As for me, you won't catch me near the ADIZ not on an IFR flight plan. To much hassle other wise. The other problem with the investment in these warning systems is it is less likely they will abandon the ADIZ

Ya know,

I am no happier about the ADIZ than anyone else. Nor the closures of the DC-3 or KDCA. That's of personal interest: DCA's close enough to family that it would save me a lot of time and money to go in there instead of HEF.

However, given the range of things they COULD do (from closing all the airports within 50 miles to requiring background checks for all of us) the ADIZ is annoying but not prohibitive.

My understanding is that the ADIZ is for administrative convenience: that is, the Feds don't have the capability to track and monitor everybody, so the ADIZ and FRZ are there because they add a layer. And it lets the bureaucrats claim they're doing something.

I don't think we should stop trying to get the ADIZ reduced, but in the meantime, we should give a little thanks that it's not worse. If the lasers save some taxpayer money and reduce the chance of a shoot-down, they're worth it.

IMHO.

There was a laser event in Dallas on Thursday afternoon... First time I've heard them call it on the radio. Regional approach called up and said something to the effect of, "attention all pilots, an unauthorized laser event has taken place in XYZ location, at such and such a time, all pilots are requested to report further laser events"

Anyway, it was kinda weird, and downright insulting, that anyone might be shining a laser at an airliner. :( :( :(

I can't quite figure the motivation for developing this system. Are they trying to cut the cost of all those intercepts? Is this intended to provide justification for shooting down an unarmed airplane?

Given my uncertainty as to the real purpose, I cannot see any way to justify the cost of implementing it.

And WRT to the hapless ADIZ penetrator, what makes anyone think that upon discovering a red/green flashing light, the pilot would know which way to turn to exit the ADIZ most expediously (assuming he understood that's what he's supposed to do).

I think this would have much better use as someone else suggested, as a warning to planes APPROACHING the ADIZ, vs to those who've already busted.

I'm curious how well it shows up in the day time...the video was done at night.

Back