What do I need to know about using a buyer's agent / recommendations?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
The question is in the title - What do I need to know about using a buyer's agent and does anyone have recommendations?

Looking for a ASEL nose dragger, aluminum construction, 140+ kts and fixed gear preferred, but other than that I'm not set on any particular make or model.

I will be interested in hearing what POA users recommend for a fixed gear nosewheel airplane that can make 140 knots. The ones that come to mind are not aluminum.

Have never used a buyers agent,not exactly sure what they can do,that I can’t do on my own.

Have never used a buyers agent,not exactly sure what they can do,that I can’t do on my own.
When I sold my Bonanza, at was a A&P acting as a buyer's agent who came here and inspected the airplane and recommended to his client that he make an offer.

I will be interested in hearing what POA users recommend for a fixed gear nosewheel airplane that can make 140 knots. The ones that come to mind are not aluminum.
Turbo 182? Hotted up Tiger? A really clean Dakota?

Grumman Tiger will get you close…. 135 KTAS all day long at 8000 ft.

Never used a buyer's agent but kind of acted like one for someone who wanted to buy a really expensive plane. Let me tell you, there is nothing a buyer agent can do for you, that you can't do yourself. However, everything you need to do is somewhat time consuming so as with everything, only you know if your time is worth more than the $$$ you spend on a buyer's agent. The only other reason for hiring a buyer's agent is if you're really bad at negotiations. Being good at that can shave off 5-10% off a purchase price. Heck, I once shaved off 25% of the asking price on a plane I bought. Now, 5% on a clapped out Cessna 150 is no big deal, but what you're looking for will be in $200,000+ category (depending on how nice you want the plane to be) and 5% is $10,000. That's a good chunk of change to use on Avgas. One last piece of advice, don't pay the buyer agent a % of the sales price. Pay him/her a fixed fee. You don't want him/her to be incentivized for being crap at negotiating the absolute best price for you ;-)

Last edited:
I recommend not using one. My experience was that they really irritate sellers. I did not want to use an agent but an agent heard I was looking at Comanches and started getting in front of ones that I was looking at and I had sellers calling me telling me they wouldn't sell me the plane because this guy's causing too much drama they just want to sell the plane they don't need to deal with escrow and all the other things that go into dealing with agents. And I agree

I used a buyer’s agent for a 182. I felt the 6% of sale price commission was worth it. He knew which sellers to trust and found a great plane, had it flown in from Kentucky to Louisiana, did a thorough prebuy inspection and suggested that I buy it. Other than a prop OH/governor IRAN at the first annual (as expected at the time of purchase) it has been a gem. I have 185hrs on it. Being a new to GA owner, and student at the time, he saved me from buying a cheaper but much costlier aircraft.

My A&P was essentially my agent representing my interests. I found the airplane I wanted, he found found what was wrong with it and communicated it to me and seller, advised on what it'd cost to make it right. That was plenty for my needs.

All of the -A RVs except the 12. Well, they’ll cruise at 140 if you throttle back a ways. A Grumman Tiger should be able to get 140, too.

I used a buyer’s agent for a 182. I felt the 6% of sale price commission was worth it. He knew which sellers to trust and found a great plane, had it flown in from Kentucky to Louisiana, did a thorough prebuy inspection and suggested that I buy it. Other than a prop OH/governor IRAN at the first annual (as expected at the time of purchase) it has been a gem. I have 185hrs on it. Being a new to GA owner, and student at the time, he saved me from buying a cheaper but much costlier aircraft.
Hi. Can you share his info? Thanks

Thanks so much. What 182 did you get? How do u like it?

2000 182-S with 750hrs TT. It’s been a great plane. Silver Crown panel, Nav III which came with an HSI. A GTX345 and GTN650 had been added by the previous owner. I’ll probably be looking for a 206H in about another year.

Back