What do I NEED to get my 2nd Class?

jssaylor2007

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jssaylor2007
I am going for my first medical, I have no preexisting health problems that I know of. The only thing that may be an issue is that I had PRK vision correction around 2 years ago. I see perfectly now, but I have heard it may be an issue. Any help would be appreciated.

It shouldn't, just get your treating surgeon to write a letter saying your vision is stable without problems. For good measure an 8500-7 form completed by him wouldn't hurt.

I am going for my first medical, I have no preexisting health problems that I know of.
Before you start filling out the official FAA forms, go do a routine physical with your primary care provider (or PCP as we say here) to verify what I bolded.

You DO NOT want medical surprises to be discovered by the AME or the FAA-Medical reviewers.

If all is well, proceed to the AME. If not, address the issues before you go official with the AME.

Additional tips...

Try to only work with an AME who:
  • Is a pilot
  • Knows his stuff when it comes to "difficult case" issues and Special Issuances
  • Has the FAA reviewers and doc's in OKC on speed dial
  • Isn't afraid to use that speed dial to talk directly to OKC about your case and
  • Advocate in your favor to get your SI and Certificate done in office (like Dr. Bruce does) when you bring all that's required for your condition.

Own Your Medical!
  • Stay Healthy
  • Find a PCP that will learn how to work with the FAA when it comes to documentation and status letters.
  • If you have a SI condition, manage it well (I was in the penalty box all summer and missed a nice October because I let my A1c got out of range)
  • Know what documentation for your condtion is needed by the FAA
  • Keep copies of everything!
  • Keep Logs of all medical visits
  • Before accepting any prescription, check the permitted and not-permitted drug lists. Don't accept if it's not permitted.
  • Stay organized. AME's are much less grumpy if you know as much as they do (or should) about your condition(s) and bring everything required all neat, organized, and labeled with your DOB, PI#, MID#, and PPL#

Last edited:
"Hey.....that's a my guy..... :) "

Jordan, for refractive surgery more than 2 years out, you will not need ANY documentation. The AME will simply write, "manifest stable vision that meets standards" and that will be that.

You need to read 20/20 in each eye separately, at 20 feet; 20/40 in each eye separately, at 32 inches and 16 inches.

Last edited:
:D :D

After reading various AME horror stories (and finding one or two not so good ones on my own), I'm so greatful you do what you do.

PRK shouldn't be too much of an issue. I know a midshipman first-class in the Naval Academy who was accepted with poor vision, had PRK done on the Navy's dime, and will be training next spring to fly fighters. He holds a 1st Class FAA medical commercial (with a lot of ratings and endorsements+ CFI) and has a decent amount of hours for a 21yr old. If the Navy accepts it I'm sure the FAA will as they did for him.

Bruce I was wondering if you might know what exactly I will need to take to the doctor?

I set the appointment for Friday, but I don't know if I should push it back or not.

Before you start filling out the official FAA forms, go do a routine physical with your primary care provider (or PCP as we say here) to verify what I bolded.

You DO NOT want medical surprises to be discovered by the AME or the FAA-Medical reviewers.
8< snip...
Additional tips...

Try to only work with an AME who:
  • Is a pilot
So, taking this advice to heart, I had a routine physical with my regular doc who I've been seeing since the mid 1970s, minus gaps for Army service and a few years living in Cleveland (but I feel much better now). One of the other partners in his practice is an AME. So during the exam I mentioned that I wanted to make sure there were no surprises when I saw his partner for a Class 3 later on.

That's when he tells me HE is also a pilot, has been for many years, and actually owns part of an R182 -- with his buddy the AME. Funny that we've known each other since dirt was new, and it just never came up.

Didn't find any show stoppers, so as soon as I meet a couple more self-imposed goals we're good to go.

If you really want to take something, take the last note that the PRK surgeon wrote when he saw you in followup the last time.

Honestly, if it's been greater than 2 years you need NOTHING. This is AME 101.

Of course, some guys fail even that..... :(

One last thing, do I need to state the PRK on section 18? If so do I just give reason being "to correct poor eyesight"?

"Hey.....that's a my guy..... :) "
[SNIP]You need to read 20/20 in each eye separately, at 20 feet; 20/40 in each eye separately, at 32 inches and 16 inches.

Bruce: How about those of us blind in one eye, I since 1953 but never having failed a 3rd Class exam since 1999?

HR (www.thebestpicturesofmaine.com) Note: the site is a yesterday template, designer's spelling errors yet to be corrected, plus other refinements/edits/additions to be done.

Provided you have passed your PVT pilot exam.....if you have, and were somehow issued without the one-eyed waiver ride, it would be very interesting administrative case law.

And jss:
No, it would go under Doc visits in section 19. Dosn't really matter, though, just so it shows upin one place or another.

I'm getting class 2 because I intend on getting my commercial and ag pilot certification, I probably could get away with getting my class 3 until i need the class 2, but i figure i'll get it out of the way.

Kinda useless to get a second, unless you can get the ratings and be employed within one year..... but if you can get it, why not.....

Nope. It's good as a class 2 for one year, then as a class 3 for the next year (and if issued before your 40th birthday, for 3 more as a third, after that).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back