Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All:

My instrument test runs out in January.

My CFII is gone.

I don't think my 172 is avaiable anymore. (Transferred to another FBO)

I need 3 more hours of hood work.

I have no IFR cross country time.

If I could meet the requirements of my IFR flying I don't think I would pass the oral.

I also don't think my flying skills would get me a pass on the check ride.

I am out of money. (Should have sufficient funds by end of June)

I need some recommendations.

I am 60 years old, have 200 hours, have 75 hours of cross country. (VFR)

I thought I could whip out my instrument ticket but it was harder than I anticipated.

Do I start completely over? (Made 92% on written.) I had a hard time with the books. I did the ASA and night school. I was disappointed in the class. I then got Gleim on CDROM. I then got King's course on video cassette.

I want to finish the IFR ticket but could use some advice. One of the hardest thing for me to pick up and use "fluently" was the GPS. Also the HSI.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a quitter. Just frustated!

Terry :(

I say find a new CFII and work as hard as possible. The end of January is still over a month away. Good luck, man!

Study for free in the winter & spring then fly things off after the June money comes in... no problem.

I'm with Dave. You have all the stuff for the test. Having studied for it once already, I think you'll probably be surprised how much comes back to you the second time around. Get things sorted out and take another whack in June. Good luck!!!

Study for free in the winter & spring then fly things off after the June money comes in... no problem.
This is what i'm going to do terry, my written runs out in Feb. I'll probably take the weekend course again in the spring and jump hard on the flying.
Good Luck in whatever you decide to do. Dave G:blueplane:

My instrument test runs out in January.
I am one of those guys that if I don't have a goal I might never get it done. If it was my choice I would go for it. However...
I am out of money. (Should have sufficient funds by end of June)
$$ is something you will need to finish. If the funds aren't available now then wait till you have the dollars.

One of the hardest thing for me to pick up and use "fluently" was the GPS. Also the HSI.

I certainly agree with the other posters who recommended doing the studying now while you are short on funds.

As far as the GPS end of things go, there are pdf manuals for many GPS models online. Even better yet, many GPS models have free downloadable simulators which allow you to do some "playing" while you are on the ground. This, IMO, REALLY helps for learning to use the thing.

For the HSI, have you considered using MS Flight Sim? There are a number of planes that use an HSI. (As a note, the GPS units in MS Flight Sim are not really modeled nearly closely enough to the real ones to make learning about GPS operation very worthwhile, except for some of the very basics.

I recommend not starting back on the flying part of the IR until you think you have enough money saved up to finish it in one more pass... nothing uses up funds like starting and stopping.

Judd

Hi All:

Any booklets or small pamphlets on HSI's.

Thanks;

Terry

Back