What did you do this weekend?

I dunno about that picture...
they're playing pretty far back from the serve line.

I flew with my flying mentor in his TR 182 to Meteor Crater outside of Winslow Arizona, for the first time!

Also he finally let me take-off and land, 3 times!!! (when I first started training he wouldn't let me fly the TR 182 because he said the control inputs are so different from my Cherokee,... He was right!)

Only bounced it once, and it was an itty bitty bounce, ( I swear! ):goofy:

Also flew into Saint John and Holbrook, Arizona. A really beautiful day of flying, and I'm finally starting to get comfortable with turbulence.

If I knew how to post them, I would provide pics. But I am computer illiterate.:eek: I'll work on learning how to do that, so I can share adventures in the future.

Threw about 25 pounds of venison, elk and pork in the grinder last night, stuffed a bunch of sausage and today tried to tend the smoker in a freakin' blizzard. Winds kicked up to about 15G30 here this afternoon - vis 10' and braking action nil on the back deck! Kept the beer nice and icy, tho! :)

Flew to Janesville, where we met up with Dr Bruce & Susan and Mike Andrews. Had a good flight, and was glad we had IRs!

... drove to the hangar. It hit 60° Saturday, had been in the 50s for a week or so -- unbelievable for Maine. It took more than a few paper towels to wipe condensation off the chrome and other metal parts of the Harley which is spending its first "winter" in a steel enclosure. The winds were pretty wild.

HR

Worked both days Saturday running cable for a video security install and Today Drafting legal stuff in the office Ugh! Then a meeting with my mentee and his new CFI to get him back on track , Then watched The Eagles win. At least it ended well.

went to indy to see my chief's season end. Sorry game but great seats.

Helped a friend fix the alternator on his Mooney. Works good last long time.
Ron

Flew ridge lift in a glider for the first time. Cruising along, smooth as silk right above a ridge looking down on the fantastic native New Zealand bush (which looks like it's straight from Gondwanaland).

I left the house 0430 saturday morning drove to Thund Field in Puyallup Wa 150 miles south to attend the annual A&P-IA recertification seminar hosted by the Clover Valley A&P school.

I had a class to teach at FRCNW saturday evening so I drove back, did the class, and got home around 0030 sunday morning. I was up and my way back to the seminar at 0600 Sunday morning, and home at 1900 tonight with a new signoff for the upcoming IA recert in March.

Why didn't I fly? because the weather has been crazy 500' ceiling with huge rain. we got well over an inch today alone.

Arrived in Paris in the morning. Got to hotel, tried to stay away, finally gave up. Went sightseeing on Sunday. Too much walking and I'm paying for it today as I get ready to head to meetings. I'll post pictures later, my laptop from work doesn't seem to have the software to shrink pictures files and the system would just choke on the files from my new Sony Alpha (some as large as 5 MBytes).

Why didn't I fly? because the weather has been crazy 500' ceiling with huge rain. we got well over an inch today alone.

Connected thru SEA Friday night on the way home. Weather sucked. 737 slipped to a landing when it wasn't wing wagging :hairraise:

What did I do this weekend? Tried to reacclimate to the Alaskan winter after a warmer-than-average Tennessee December, while hobbling on crutches and quarreling with cranky girlfriend :redface: I need that bumper sticker "I'd rather be flying" really badly right now...

Flew ridge lift in a glider for the first time. Cruising along, smooth as silk right above a ridge looking down on the fantastic native New Zealand bush (which looks like it's straight from Gondwanaland).
I thought it looked like it was straight from Gondor?

Got some acro instruction in my Citabria. Received some VERY good suggestions on what I can do to make the maneuvers look better.

Also flew one of my Christmas presents...an Air Hog. We lost the twin out in the field one flight and spent 30 minutes trying to find it in the soybean field. :)

PF Changs with friends Friday night.

Chores Saturday, went to a college BB game with the fam Saturday night.

Church Sunday morning, got in a really nice actual approach (broke out ~ 400-1&1/4) Sunday afternoon before the really bad weather moved in. More chores, then football on the tube Sunday night.
Also lots of play with my 4yr old dauther!!!:goofy:

Saturday morning I attended a training session at Cathedral downtown followed by chores in the afternoon. Church Sunday morning, followed by more chores in the afternoon.

Let's see...

Helped my uncle move Friday. Three truckloads of furniture and boxes, emptying a 25x25 storage container. Took us just a hair under 5 hours, four of us doing the labor.

Helped my sister in law move Saturday. Ended up moving two truckloads of furniture and boxes, plus ended up with babysitting duty (their son is 16 months) while my wife and her mother unpacked.

Took my wife climbing with me Sunday, and she took the belay class / test at our rock gym. Now, I can trust my life to her! Went to an open house that afternoon (waaay overpriced, just because the perfect colonial down the street sells for $X doesn't mean you'll get $X), helped Brett out at work (and got to play with their new John Deere tractor, what a hoot), watched some football, went grocery shopping, and went out for Sichuan at our favorite Sichuan place. Saw someone practicing power-off stalls over my house late yesterday afternoon.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Connected thru SEA Friday night on the way home. Weather sucked. 737 slipped to a landing when it wasn't wing wagging :hairraise:

It did, didn't it? I flew out just before noon for a connection in Cincinnati to Paris. It was defininately IFR weather at home when I left. No better when I arrived in Paris, I might add. And a really squirrely feeling landing, too.

Played doctor for the sick bride.......never in all my days have I ever seen anyone that sick......Spent 13 hours in the ER sunday...she is home and doing much better. She took 4 bags of fluid IV......I told her she was near dust!

Also decided to take my first sick day since jan 06....had to run for meds, newspaper, jello, pudding and green tea......all the things that would be easy on her tummy and keep her from getting bored. I also thought it would be nice to keep her company and keep the pets from wanting to cuddle all over her...thats my job!

Played doctor for the sick bride.......never in all my days have I ever seen anyone that sick......Spent 13 hours in the ER sunday...she is home and doing much better. She took 4 bags of fluid IV......I told her she was near dust!

Also decided to take my first sick day since jan 06....had to run for meds, newspaper, jello, pudding and green tea......all the things that would be easy on her tummy and keep her from getting bored. I also thought it would be nice to keep her company and keep the pets from wanting to cuddle all over her...thats my job!
Good for you! (though sometimes the pets cuddling can be theraputic; I presume you took their place!) Glad she's doing better!

Shoveled snow...again...still...constantly... It's the stuff nightmares are made of...
Last night I got a minor break from shoveling and traded it for gale force winds and high velocity blowing snow that covered everything I just finished digging out.
Next weekend will be, that's right, more snow... brbbrbrrbrbbrbbrbbrbrrbrbbrbbrbbrbrrbrbbrb

Got home pretty late Friday night. Flying club paperwork through Saturday afternoon, then flew. :) Sunday was BOD meeting for the flying club, then back on the road.

Saturday I went fly fishing with my wife (who has just finished her BS degree and now has some free time) on the West Branch of the Octoraro Creek in SE PA. Required fish photo attached. Sunday I started out fly fishing the other creek near our house (Middle Branch of the White Clay Creek) where I landed another rainbow before I had to cut the fly fishing short for an IPC (receiving end) followed by doing some instrument training with a friend. I ended the day browsing through the local Bass Pro Shop.

All in all, a very nice weekend.

Attachments

• Rainbow Trout WBOC 1-6-07 1526.JPG
    Rainbow Trout WBOC 1-6-07 1526.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 16
Pulled shoes and trimmed hooves on 14 horses and 1 pony. Followed that by going to a class on Asian Brush painting.

Bruce

Friday I spent instructing at Bogus Basin Ski Resort. (No snow trouble here, I've got to go out and find it.) I've now had thirty-some students up to age 41. Only one is memorable. This guy was out of my league--I have MUCH to learn about this instructing thing. He outranked me in intelligence, strength, ability, and cunning. He was three years old. Unfortuanately, the instructor's guidebook doesn't include the phrase, "Tommy, point your skis at that tree down there...let's see what happens..."

Saturday morning I went to a 99's (women pilots) meeting at S67. We planned our warm weather flights. I can't wait!

For balance, I spent Saturday afternoon working outdoors. I hauled some burning barrels to the dump and stacked firewood until dark, thus ending another glamorous day in the desert. :D

Last edited:
We left the house at 0615 to head over the mountains to the once a month Moto Guzzi breakfast. It was dark, snowing and visibility was down to about 20 yards on Blewett Pass. Almost got snagged by a snow plow who's blade was over the double yellow. It was daylight by the time we hit I-90. Roads were great till we got close to the summit. Then it started raining, then it started sleeting, then we got hail, then some snow. The eastbound lanes were closed by an avalanche. Had a great breakfast at Krain Korner, then headed to South Sound BMW so I could drool all over a new F650GS. A pair of those are next on the list. It was OVC and bone chilling cold and we couldn't think of anything else to do, so we headed home. Roads were beautiful and empty, despite Hwy 2 being closed for over a day due to downed power lines and avalanche control. Sunday I cleaned house. Yesterday the roads were bare enough to take three of the m/c's out for some exercise. One of these days we'll drag the planes out and go flying........

Back