What did you do in 2009 ?

Snag, if I may make a suggestion: Work on your IR training as you're working towards that 250 TT. You should be able to easily get it done in that period (I got mine at around 130 TT). That plus getting your tailwheel endorsement (not rating - so that's one checkride you won't need to take) will help take a nice chunk out.

Having done about 325 hours this year (and looking at ending the year around 350), I'll tell you that higher-hour years are tons of fun! Good luck!

I do plan to get my tailwheel, and Instrument while building time time. Most of my time needs to be in a tailwheel aircraft, so that will likely be the first thing I do.

2009 Accomplishments
  • Bought the Chief (was NOT on the radar!)
  • Tailwheel endorsement
  • Learned to really fly low and slow
  • Maintained IFR currency in IMC (not just under the hood)
  • Get Janet more comfortable with flying
The last item has been difficult, but this year she's flown to SC and back (both times low IFR the whole way), KPTD and back (IMC the return trip with a min approach to AXQ), and KCSG and back.

She gave me the biggest compliment when we flew back on Air Tran from Nathaniel's AIT graduation: "I prefer flying with you -- it's much smoother, not all sudden turns and hard landings..."

New states flown to: TN, KY, IL, IN, TX, OK, NE, ND, UT, AK

Flew to Canada. Enjoyed CanPass and eAPIS.

3 Angel Flight missions :)nonod: - had to scrub a bunch)

Family trip to Florida (Amelia Island)

FL250

Didn't finish my single add-on for Comm:nonod:

What part? I may pick your brain this spring.

uber-cool!

BC, from Wash St. en route to AK.

Canadian customs are refreshing. No problem. American customs, eh, not so much.

I had a great 2009

I joined the Des Moines Flying club
I got checked out in the Archer II
I flew 37 hours this year (my goal was 50)
I attended Instrument Ground school class
I flew my wife to a destination (dinner)
My wife and I attended OSH (drove) and camped
My wife and I attended the fly Iowa airshow and fly in
I visited the Iowa aviation museum

Not bad for my first year back in the saddle.

Y'all aren't going to like what I did in 2009. As far as hours, I'm sure it is pretty pathetic, but my goal this year was to do more motorcycle riding, and that I did.

Nearly 12,000mi on two wheels, 6,500mi of that on multi-day backroads rides. I did four 5-day back roads ride, some camping, all fun.

Y'all aren't going to like my 2010 goals, either.....

Y'all aren't going to like what I did in 2009. As far as hours, I'm sure it is pretty pathetic, but my goal this year was to do more motorcycle riding, and that I did.

Nearly 12,000mi on two wheels, 6,500mi of that on multi-day backroads rides. I did four 5-day back roads ride, some camping, all fun.

Y'all aren't going to like my 2010 goals, either.....
So when are we going to have the PoA ride?

What I did aviation-wise in 2009:

Dodged a medical bullet and got my 3rd class renewed
Stopped renting and joined a flying club
Passed the 500 hours TT mark in September (started the year at 478)
Flew >50 hours more since then
Finally started my IR training

Goals for 2010:

Finish the IR
Meet up with some PoA friends
Pass the 600 TT mark (should be easy)
Add another state or two to my map (IN? IL? PA? NY?)
Take a friend back to MCD
Take a day trip w/bicycle to Beaver Island
Maybe make it to 6Y9

2009 Accomplishments

• Purchased my first aircraft (Cherokee 180) and began the wallet bleeding
  • Took my family on two trips for the first time since I got my PPL in 1991.
  • Completed Instrument ground school
  • Second consecutive Oshkosh trip

• Gave up on the thought of building an aircraft in the near future
2010 Goals

• Pass Instrument written
  • Begin training for the instrument rating, perhaps even finish if I go accelerated
  • Trip to DC with the family
  • Improve my cross wind landings
  • Actually attend a meetup rather than just reading about them and "thinking" about attending.
That was fun!

2009 Accomplishments

• Purchased my first aircraft (Cherokee 180) and began the wallet bleeding
  • Took my family on two trips for the first time since I got my PPL in 1991.
  • Completed Instrument ground school
  • Second consecutive Oshkosh trip

• Gave up on the thought of building an aircraft in the near future
2010 Goals

• Pass Instrument written
  • Begin training for the instrument rating, perhaps even finish if I go accelerated
  • Trip to DC with the family
  • Improve my cross wind landings
  • Actually attend a meetup rather than just reading about them and "thinking" about attending.
That was fun!

Now that's a good list! :yes: Congrats on the bird, and I hope to meet you in person at a fly-in - Maybe the Wings FlyBQ?

So when are we going to have the PoA ride?

Good question. I started to go down that road, but then work and other life stuff got busier. But, maybe time to start thinking about a get together!

Barring weather, I am planning on going to Wings this year!! Looks like a good time and only a two hour flight from 1b9.

Jeff

Great the more the merrier!

I see you're pretty close to me too. Welcome to POA.

Got the panel, avionics and autopilot upgrades done, which made all the trips much more ejoyable. Didn't track the flying carefully, but was surprised to see all the trips recorded on the trip logs in the 696, more than I would have thought. I'll write them in the book when the spirit moves.

Flew into Gaston's for the first time in 41 years, much easier since they cut down the trees on the east end and lengthened the airstrip. Seemed like there were more airplanes there this time, but mostly those with training wheels and very few real pilots. People were talking about how hard it is to land there, and some doofus said he even made a video about it and posted it on the internet. GMAB. Hell, I'd bet you could land a DC-3 there, not that anyone would actually do it.

I had planned to just fly in for lunch, but ended up staying for three days just for the entertainment value. You wouldn't believe the cast of characters that had assembled there. The first thing that happened was that some dude wearing a set of polyester long johns with flashing lights stepped out of a little blue airplane. My immediate reaction was to suggest that he might want to jump back in it and get the hell out, seeing as how we were in Arkansas and all. But he had some real clothes stashed somewhere and was a good guy to talk to at dinner.

A guy from west Texas was busy with some bailing wire and sections of fence posts, trying to tie the landing gear of his Bellanca down and locked to fly back home. Had dinner with him too, and he explained all about how he had it planned out. Good luck with that, I'm guessing it is still parked in Vernon or Childress.

One old Piper with a 3-blade had a really bad turd-muckle paint job, and some guy with a 195 must have given a hundred rides. Another guy in a 195 showed up for a while but left pretty quick. He said he was afraid some other guy there would steal it.

Another bozo in a V-tail was in and out a dozen times, but always had a confused look on his face, don't think he had any idea where he was going--or why. Some kid who looked like he was about 16 must have put a hundred hours on a Bird Dog, and some goofy dame kept paying for his gas. You would have thought she owned the damn thing. Some other kid who couldn't have been more than 14 said she was a flight instructor in Nebraska. You can't make this stuff up.

Some ditzy broad kept walking around wearing a parachute and trying to get other people to wear one and ride with her, but I don't think anybody went for it. Who's going to ride with somebody when the pilot thinks you may have to jump out? Doh.

Some dude in a Colt said he'd flown in all the way from Montana just for the weekend. Yeah, right. A guy parked his Mooney up in the corner, threw a cover on it and went fishing. Nobody saw him again for 3 days. The Mooney was gone one morning, so I assume he's not still in the river.

Some hot-dog made a low pass in a Baron, it looked like a P but I couldn't tell for sure. I wrote down his number and turned his ass in to the local FSDO, it was a cinch he wasn't trying to land. Or maybe he was, you can never be sure about those Baron drivers. Some other guy was there in a Baron too, and too dumb to stay out of the puddles. Rooster tail when he left looked like Miss Budweiser in the unlimited boat race.

Some skinny guy in a dogged-out old Aztec said he was from back east somewhere. Probably was, he had some hippie pony tail and wore combat boots. Another somewhat less-skinny guy couldn't figure out the gear system on his 210 and kept flying over the field with the gear doors open. I think he was from Chicago, which figures. They aren't known for being the brightest bulbs in the fixture. Then some other kid (they said he was a rich-boy college kid from back east) was talking about missing his airline flight because he didn't get to the airport on time. Go figure.

Some dude in bermuda shorts and black socks (I figured he had to be a doctor, nobody else dresses like that) was there in an old Seneca, measuring the gas in each tank with an eyedropper and walking up and down the landing strip looking for gopher holes, muttering to himself and sighing a lot.

Had breakfast the last day with a couple from Oklahoma who said they fly all over the country at low altitude looking at electrical lines and reading the numbers on the poles. How dumb would you have to be to believe that?

Some guy from the southeast saved my bacon by loaning me a set of tiedowns better than the Oshkosh specials I had in the bag compartment. He actually seemed like he had some sense, unlike most of the rest of the looney tunes that were there.

The only redeeming virtue was that they were all real friendly, had some good chow and drinks on the flight line and seemed to genuinely enjoy each other's company. They said I could come back next year, so I plan to take them up on it. The runway can't be any muddier and the food in the restaurant can't be any worse, so I figure I've got nothing to lose.

My goal for every year is the same, and that is to be sure that I have more takeoffs and landings on grass fields than concrete, which turned out to be easier than I had imagined. Looking forward to more of the same next year, maybe including the Idaho back-country events.

Last edited:
Good question. I started to go down that road, but then work and other life stuff got busier. But, maybe time to start thinking about a get together!
Get on it. I'm pretty limited to paved roads though. The bandit isn't worth a **** on dirt/gravel.

Get on it. I'm pretty limited to paved roads though. The bandit isn't worth a **** on dirt/gravel.

Paved is just fine. 650lb sport tourers are not the best trail bikes!

Wayne: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My dogged-out Aztec, pony tail, combat boots, and I will see you and your plane next year. I hope that now you've got the avionics taken care of that you'll be able to afford a paint job!

By the time I get it re-polished I could probably pay for a paint job for mine and yours too. I'm looking forward to it. Are you bringing the same load of strays next year? :D

Wayne: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My dogged-out Aztec, pony tail, combat boots, and I will see you and your plane next year. I hope that now you've got the avionics taken care of that you'll be able to afford a paint job!

By the time I get it re-polished I could probably pay for a paint job for mine and yours too.

I'm all for that! Let me give you the address to mail the check to...

I'm looking forward to it. Are you bringing the same load of strays next year? :D

Looking forward to it as well. And seeing as said strays tend to follow me around like the lost puppies that they are, most likely you can expect to see them, too.

Bravo Wayne. That has to be the best writeup of Gaston's I've ever seen :D

Hummmm, 2009...the year of hosting a LOT of fly-in's at the farm and giving a lot of rides to a lot of people. Made runner-up in AVweb's POTW last summer. Was interviewed for an article in EAA Sport Aviation about Young Eagles....it came out in May. With the help of a few friends, we gave rides to about 75 Young Eagles last Spring. Hosted an aerobatic training session at the farm. Had Tom's ground school class out to the farm and gave them all rides. Had the best birthday party/fly-in of my life this year...it was hard to top last year's though. :) Lots of flying for lots of people for several days with this one. :) Flew around to some of my favorite grass strips...Gaston's, Beaumont, Miami County, Turkey Mountain, and lots of neighbor's grass strips. Got back in the CJ-6. :)

I took my niece and nephew (just turned 14) for aerobatic rides again this year over Thanksgiving. My nephew filmed his ride and made a video about having a passion for flying and entered it into a school contest about "Passions" and he won first place with it in his division. If I could figure out how to convert his DVD to .wmv format I'd post it.

Plans for 2010: More flying in the CJ, attend the Red Star fly-in at Gaston's, spend time at Gaston's in October. If I had the money, I'd take another grass strip tour, but I don't, so I can't. So, we'll likely just have a few more fly-in's here. Young Eagles flights are planned again for this coming Spring. Kim and I talked about having a girl's taildragger adventure, flying around all over together...I'd love to be able to find a way to do that.

2010:
Get my CFI initial (maybe):idea:
Get a tail wheel endorsement.
Land a freight dawg job.:yesnod:

Pulled IFR Ticket
Sold a Cherokee 180 (great plane)
Bought a SR22 (love it too)
Spent lots of time with my 4 kids ...and 2 grandkids. Best investment of 2009 by far

Looking back, I had a pretty darn good 2009 in the air.....

-Finished my Instrument Rating
-Got an SIC rating in the DC-3
-Logged time in 767 sim
-Flew a Cardinal RG round trip from San Diego to Corpus Christi and all over Texas for a month

Goals for 2010:
-Get my Commercial done
-Fly a B-25
-Go to Oshkosh this year for the 75th Anniversary of the DC-3

2009:
Got my wings.
Got my first choice of assignment.
Moved to Europe.

2010:
1. Fly to as many countries as possible.
2. Upgrade to Aircraft Commander. (long-shot, but who knows)

Back