What character this man has!

I read a similar exerpt in the daily paper this morning. My heart goes out to him and I too admire his character.

Good God I can't imagine going through that. Yes, it makes any troubles I can think of pale in comparison.

I think he has amazing character but if I were his attorney I would have told him to keep his mouth shut.

Good God I can't imagine going through that. Yes, it makes any troubles I can think of pale in comparison.

I think he has amazing character but if I were his attorney I would have told him to keep his mouth shut.

For asking people to pray for the pilot? I don't understand.

For saying [edit - he didn't blame him] and he did everything he could. How could he know that?

Ahh...OK. Well, if the man has no animosity in his heart for the pilot then I still respect him for being so compassionate to ask people to pray for him, understanding that the tragedy is the pilot's as well as his own.

We are all fortunate that our greatest troubles on a day to day basis are so insignificant in comparison to people like this man.

For saying [edit - he didn't blame him] and he did everything he could. How could he know that?

Maybe he is not interested in monetary compensation for a loss that money can't compensate for, and that it is not necessary to assign blame to every event.

Recently, we had a 12 year old amish girl struck and killed by a 70 year old lady while the kids were walking home from school. The amish family went to the ladies home and asked her (and gave her permission) to forgive herself because they had. I wish more people had the fortitude to act like that.

Maybe he is not interested in monetary compensation for a loss that money can't compensate for, and that it is not necessary to assign blame to every event.

Recently, we had a 12 year old amish girl struck and killed by a 70 year old lady while the kids were walking home from school. The amish family went to the ladies home and asked her (and gave her permission) to forgive herself because they had. I wish more people had the fortitude to act like that.
Amen. Forgiveness is a wonderful healing instrument.

Last edited:
I hope this man finds peace in his heart after such a loss.

His character and strength is amazing.

A couple of thoughts came to me reading the article.

First, it made me think about our recent thread about the moral choice between hitting a mountain and landing in the park.

Second, I hope and trust that the government at least makes sure that he is housed and his material possessions are replaced. Obviously nothing can be done about his family, but additionally he'd only been in the house a month. It would be unforgivable for him to be left homeless, too.

He appears to be a man of great character, and my heart goes out to him.

I have two word's Nickle Mines

I should only have the inner peace and stregnth that man has. I really salute him.

Wow. Just to be able to speak in public so soon after such a loss must be almost unbearable. Hell, just thinking about it must be extremely painful, and of course he must be thinking of his family every minute. :nonod:

My heart goes out to this gentleman, and I think his refusal to turn his grief into blind hatred will help him recover from this (as much as one can).

What you people apparently do not realize is that this man has the strength and the courage BECAUSE of his belief in God. How else to explain your common disbelief that a person--even you--can exemplify himself in this manner?

The amount of compassion and forgiveness this man holds is not gotten from himself, from an inner well-being inherent in him. Precisely, what allows him to act thusly is from a transcendent belief which neither begins or ends in himself.

This thread strikes me odd in that what is misinterpreted as 'moral fortitude' is nonetheless held as the REASON and explanation for his behaviors.

I can recount from my past similar tragedies out of which the survivors were able to express the same compassion and forgiveness. And this seemed to mystify so many of the general population.

Let the mystery be explained: it is an ardent and devout belief in, and obedience to, God.

Last edited:
Well said Richard...and quite true. I posted the link because I found his story to be an incredible inspiration, and hoped it would be so for others.

Ok, I'm going to play the cynic. First I want to say that I echo everyone's comments as to his willingness and ability to forgive - I'm envious.

Ok, turning on my inner cynic. Just because he doesn't blame the pilot, doesn't mean people aren't going to get sued for this. I imagine there will be at least a suit against the government and several component manufacturers. It is very refreshing though to hear someone approach a situation like this logically (VERY hard to do when emotion drives the response). He acknolwedges that the facts show that despite the pilots best efforts he was unable to avoid hitting the house.

Back