What can you do without a medical?

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
I've been absent for a while dealing with medical issues. Current medication regime has symptoms under good control and I'm hopeful I will be in a position to apply for my Class III medical in December.

During the summer I was due for my BFR (which I didn't do because at the time I was physically incapable) plus my medical expired. So I'm now without either my BFR or a valid medical.

Obviously I can't act as PIC, but is there a requirement to be PIC to do your BFR? Can I complete a BFR without a current medical?

Also, I last flew my 6 approaches,etc, in April so I would normally need to renew this requirement by the end of October. Is there a requirement to be PIC to complete this? In other words, could I go up with one of my partners who would be PIC and do this without a valid medical, or maybe even a BFR?

Wondering what I can do while I'm waiting.

as long as your CFI is willing to act as PIC i don't see an issue with doing the flight review.

You can complete your BFR as long as the CFI is acting as PIC - just as if you were a student. Tell your CFI that your medical isn't current and he needs to act as PIC when you schedule the BFR.

For the instrument work, you can have your safety pilot or a CFII ACT as PIC too. Just arrange it beforehand.

...is there a requirement to be PIC to do your BFR?
No, there isn't.

Can I complete a BFR without a current medical?
Yes, as long as the CFI involved is fully qualified to be PIC for the ride.

Also, I last flew my 6 approaches,etc, in April so I would normally need to renew this requirement by the end of October. Is there a requirement to be PIC to complete this?
Again, no -- all you have to be is the sole manipulator of the controls and "rated" in the aircraft.

In other words, could I go up with one of my partners who would be PIC and do this without a valid medical, or maybe even a BFR?
Yes, as long as your partner is fully qualified to be PIC with a passenger for the flight.

Wondering what I can do while I'm waiting.
If you simply haven't renewed your medical, and you and your physician agree that you're safe to fly Light Sport Aircraft, you can fly those as PIC. You can get your flight review in one as a checkout, and then fly it all you want (within the limitations of a Sport pilot, including no night and no IFR). You can even do your instrument events for currency in it as long as you remain VFR (that's operating strictly under VFR, not just IFR in VMC, unless it's one of the very few LSA's authorized for IFR and your safety pilot is qualfied and acting as PIC).

Actually, you can fly whatever you want all you want. You just can't do it legally.

I've been looking at the LSA aircraft available lately. And, except for the "vintage aircraft" the cost of the new ones seems prohibitive to me. Some of them are $124,555.00 Jeez louise.

Anyway, Have fun flying Barry and I hope your medical stuff all works out well.

At least a few motor-gliders can be flown legally without a medical. We had an instructor stop by yesterday with a Grob 109 and told me as much.

I've been looking at the LSA aircraft available lately. And, except for the "vintage aircraft" the cost of the new ones seems prohibitive to me. Some of them are $124,555.00 Jeez louise.
Well, it's better than a quarter-mil for a new C-172.

Anyway, Have fun flying Barry and I hope your medical stuff all works out well.
There are several S-LSA's in the $50k-$75K range and you can buy E-LSA's or E/AB's that qualify as LSA's for less than $30K.

Back